The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried the Boss-Fender series ('59 Bassman, '63 Reverb and '65 Deluxe reverb) for a nice clean jazzy tone?
    I wonder...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been wondering that, too. I'm going into a clean SS amp, and I'm happy with how chords sound, how I can hear the individual notes in one. But when I switch to single lines, I'd like to be able to sometimes switch a tone that is "warmer" -- tubey -- but not overdriven or distorted. People say get a Twin Reverb, but I like the convenience of a smaller SS amp.

So I'm wondering if some modeling pedal would work. I worry that they will go from 0 to overdriven too quickly. That Boss-Fender series sounds interesting, but why get one model in a pedal when there are pedals out there with a dozen models for the same price? (Of course, one really nice model is all I need, so I must remind myself not to get greedy!)

User Info Menu

Were in the same boat: Twin reverb is gold but too heavy, the '65 Deluxe reissue is lighter but breaks around 4. A one flavour pedal would be fine, providing it does the trick.

User Info Menu

I have the Boss '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb. For the last week or so, I have played it through a Henriksen JazzAmp. Before that through a borrowed Polytone Baby Brute.

It is very nice and very workable within a wide range of very progressive settings. I use it with a hair of reverb along with a combination of gain vs volume. I like that you can keep it very clean but that you can really feel the tube amp vibe. When you use a harder attack, you can hear right away how it reacts just like a tube amp does. I was surprised how well it works. I bypass it most of the time, but when I want that tone, it's right there. Again, you can keep it clean yet warm. Of course, it can also be used to sound dirtier, for Chicago blues for example.

The pedal has four knobs: double knob volume/gain; bass; treble, double knob reverb/vibrato. The vibrato works really well too. I tried it but frankly, I don't need it so I don't use it.

User Info Menu

Along the same lines, anyone try the Tech 21 Character pedals?

User Info Menu

I just received my 59 Bassman yesterday. I usually play one of my archtops through my Fender Jazz King and although this is a great match, my Stratocaster sounded a little dull and dead through the Jazz King. I was hoping the Boss 59 Bassman would bring it back to life and well, it does exactly that!

I never played through a real Bassman so I don't know how near or far it is from the real thing (depends on what amp is used of course), but this little pedal surely simulates a tube amp very nicely. Warm singing tone, very direct sounding, distortion adjustable from subtle to pretty heavy - I absolutely love that thing! I think it's a great match with the Jazz King. And finally my Stratocaster sounds like a Stratocaster again.

I'm not sure yet how it matches with an Archtop for a clean Jazz tone. I need to experiment a little more first but right now I just can't put down my Strat. The pedal adds treble and even with the Gain turned down, it doesn't sound as clean as without the pedal. Now that doesn't have to be a bad thing. My first impression with my Ibanez AK105 is that the pedal offers a somewhat brighter alternate sound, not better or worse, just different. And either way, it's huge fun. Especially if you like a subtle tube-like distortion. I can highly recommend this pedal if you're using a ss amp. Don't know how it sounds when used with a tube amp.

In addition, you should know that I also use an Electro Harmonix Tube EQ in the FX loop. I never play the Jazz King without it for it brings more life to every guitar played through this amp. It surely is part of the fun I am now experiencing with the 59 Bassman pedal.

And for what it's worth, I don't have a lot of experience with different amps. If you do, the Boss pedal might well be a disappointment. It's probably wise not to expect the real Bassman tone but just a more tubey tone from a solid state amp.

User Info Menu

Maybe I should add that I used it with my 1958 ES-225T (fully hollow, single cutaway, one P90 pup in the middle).

I have never tried the '65 FDR with a solid body but I could try it this week end with my wife's Strat.

Strat vs archtop w/ P90 -- I should hear a difference!

User Info Menu

Thanks! useful information.

I like: 'but I could try it this week end with my wife's Strat' how cool is that!

User Info Menu

First off, a disclaimer: I am not a Strat player. Whenever I play a Strat, I transform myself into a rocker (which I am definitely not). I know some do, but I can't play anything jazzy on it.

I plugged my wife's Strat (yes, it is cool! ) into the Henriksen via the Boss 65 Fender Deluxe Reverb. At first I bypassed the pedal. My first impression is that I don't like the Strat through that amp, but maybe it's the guitar I don't like. I thought it sounded a bit sterile (for lack of better word). The pedal definitely helped giving it some warmth and bringing it alive. I kept the settings more or less exactly the way they are for my ES-225.

Then I plugged the guitar in my wife's Frontman 25R, using the clean channel. First off, I think that amp suits that guitar much better, with or without the pedal. Again, the pedal really made a good difference and turned a cheap but good small amp into a "real" tube amp. Quite surprisingly too. The difference between w/ or w/out pedal was as important on the Fender as it was on the Henriksen (with the same conservative settings) but not exactly in the same way, the Frontman being not a clean as the Henriksen to start with. Later, I really had fun playing with the settings of the pedal to make the sound a bit dirtier and raunchier. Played some '69-'72 Rolling Stones, The Who, Hendrix, Pretenders and other rock stuff I never play. Some blues too. That's what I like a Strat for anyway. I thought the pedal did a much more pleasing job than the effect channel of the amp.

So, in conclusion, I like the pedal with a thin body archtop through the Henriksen to play some jazz stuff and I like the pedal with a Strat through the Fender Frontman 25R to play blues and rock. In the case of the ES-225 and JazzAmp, it can add that tube amp warmth if you want it while allowing to keep the sound as clean as you may want it. It's like having a tube amp without its inconvenience. (I know it's not exactly the same, but it is a very acceptable compromise for me. I am sure some would not even notice that it is not really a tube amp.) In the case of the Strat and Frontman, I thought it really improved the sound a whole lot for the purpose I was using it for. It sounded quite authentic and I didn't have to play really loud to get that sound.
    Last edited by Eddie Lang; 02-20-2010 at 04:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Eddie, did you try the 59 Bassman pedal before you bought the Deluxe Reverb? I wonder how they compare in tone. If someone else did compare them, plase post your findings, too.

And here's some nice Jazz on a Strat:

But I totally agree with you - when I grab a Strat, I don't think of Jazz.

User Info Menu

Drifter, no, I didn't try the 59 Bassman.

Nice video. Thanks for posting. I guess I should try harder to find a way to sound like that with the strat instead of the dirty blues sound.

User Info Menu

A good work around is the Sparkle Drive from Voodoo Labs.
    It has the same chip as the TS 808 and features a “clean” control. The overdrive circuit is a dead ringer of the vintage ‘808. The good part is a clean control which blends back in a boosted direct signal.
    Turn the clean control down, you get a classic overdrive tone. All the way up, and you are back to Twin Reverb clean. It has true bypass so you can set
    your amp for clean (for the chords/rhythm) and when you want a wee
    bit of tube sag in your single lines, kick in the SD.

User Info Menu

I have long been thinking about an ElectroHarmonix Holy Grail to get a warm, hall-like reverb from my amp (Epiphone Valve Jr.). My impression is that the 65 Deluxe Reverb might be more springy, great for rock and rockabilly but not so great for jazz.

The audio clips on their website seem to bear this out.

What do you think? Any thoughts about Holy Grail vs. Fender 65 Reverb?

User Info Menu

I haven't heard the Holy Grail so I can't comment on the difference.

As for the marketing of the 65 Reverb, it is obvious that rock and blues is where the money is, so that's what they aim it at. The way I use that pedal, it doesn't sound at all like the video. First, I set the pedal to obtain a dark and warm tone, but it is still clean. Second, I use it with an archtop equipped with a 50s P-90 through a very clean amp, so that's what it sounds like. When I tried the pedal with a Strat through a solid state Fender amp, it resulted in a different tone that seemed more suited for blues-rock, especially when I became less "conservative" with the settings. So with the right guitar and amp and with the right settings, I think can be good for jazz.

I'd like to know more about the Holy Grail. Have you played one? What can you tell us about it and the set up it was used with? From what I can see on the web, it is exclusively a reverb pedal. I bought the 65 FDR for the reverb component but also the the tube amp part. Maybe I could still be tempted by the ElectroHarmonix Holy Grail though if it sounds right.
    Last edited by Eddie Lang; 02-21-2010 at 01:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Electro-Harmonix was one of the first companies to make stomp boxes in the 60's and has a great reputation. The Holy Grail is highly regarded and has been recommended by many people.

I have tried the Holy Grail Plus with my Epiphone Valve Jr. and found it to be very analog-sounding. I haven't gotten one til now because I have been thinking about getting another amp with built-in reverb, but since I've changed my mind I'm giving the HG another thought.

I also have a Digitech RP-50 multieffects pedal that has many reverb settings--OK, but too digital for my tastes and not the sound I'm looking for.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info about the Boss-Fender pedals, guys. Very interesting!

User Info Menu

Woyvel's question on the Tech 21 opened a new perspective. I might go for that Blonde (always my favorite ;-) it appears to do a acceptable Fender Twin (another favorite). I read about a delicate 'character' knob and a preference for DI. I guess both will be workable with my Jazz Chorus 77 or Polytone.
    Sorry, the Stratocaster/overdrive discussion is not for me. I'm for a nice, clean jazzy sound and a fat archtop. But thanx for all the ideas.

User Info Menu

Never heard of Tech 21 but the Blonde seems to be a great pedal. I really like what I hear in that NAMM '08 clip. Especially the drive is smooth! Much better than the Bassman pedal drive, I must admit. However, the clean tone of the Blonde pedal doesn't fully convince me. The Bassman is not a pure Strat pedal, it is equally amazing with a humbucking archtop, much more tube-like and a lot livelier than without the pedal but still warm and clean, maybe a little less corporeal but still very jazzy and very much alive. If you're playing on a solid state amp, I'm sure you would like it.

User Info Menu

Hehe--I lucked out today. I had a spare hour and went by Dave's Guitar Shop, thought I'd check out the stompboxes.

I tried out the Fender Reverb Deluxe '65--very nice box ($140). It's basically an amp in a footswitch. It has level and gain controls, treble and bass, reverb and vibrato. The gain is a VERY nice feature which allows you to overdrive any amp. (I played a number of guitars through a Fender Champ '57 Reissue.) The reverb is nice and spacious--not bouncy at all, however, not as versatile as the box I ended up getting. Really, if I played rock or blues, I can see this transforming a standard amp, especially one like the Fender Champ or Champion 600 without reverb or tone settings, into a monster.

But, Dave also had a Holy Grail reverb on sale for $67, which is about half-price, and this was too good to pass up. It has 3 settings--spring, hall and "flerb" (flange + reverb) and true bypass. Up until 12 o'clock it has a subtly increasing duration of reverb. After 12 o'clock the reverb cranks up and produces an effect kind of like an envelope filter or chorus/reverb. Hard to describe, but imagine the sound at one end of a cathedral with someone playing loud at the other end. You wouldn't actually hear the attack, only the echoes. Pretty spacey.

The hall setting from 9 to 12 o'clock is perfect for jazz. This plus my Epiphone Valve Jr. is a great combination.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 02-23-2010 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Dr. Jeff,

I already have the 65 FDR. Would you say it might be worth checking into and perhaps get the Holy Grail anyway? Just your opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    Dr. Jeff,

I already have the 65 FDR. Would you say it might be worth checking into and perhaps get the Holy Grail anyway? Just your opinion.
    I don't know that it would add that much to your pedal. The HG carries the reverb out further than the 65 FDR--it seems to me it increases the predelay when you get past 12 o'clock. The result is a very spacy sound.

I would check it out though.

User Info Menu

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Do you think there's any chance of a BF Twin pedal?

User Info Menu

yes, got it and LUV IT! The Tech 21 Blonde. Messages on delicate settings are true but once you have found your sound it's a lust for the ears. Works great with my Jazz Chorus and tonight I'm giving it a spin through the rehearsal room's Polytone. Can't wait...

User Info Menu

I have a new Boss '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb. To me, it lets you have an old vintage amp sound out of a clean amp. You can always turn it off. My latest amp is a Line 6 LowDown Studio 110 Bass Amp. If it had a reverb I wouldn't have bought this pedal. But it doesn't and I did. I also got the rest of the old vintage Fender amp sound with the pedal. I probably won't use if for very much other than adding a reverb and tremolo to my transportable clean amp.

But a relative came over this weekend and wrung it out pretty good with his Ibanez. That little pedal will rock if you wan't to - or as I use it just provide a touch of tube sound and reverb.

Big Ron