The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 99

User Info Menu

Hi guys,
    I had one of these once years ago and I really wanted to love it. But it came to me with a twisted neck and I sent it back.
    This one was advertised at a fair price with Gotoh tuners and a Kent Armstrong pickup at a fair price so I bought it.
    When I received it it was in excellent cosmetic condition. But the pickup install was a mess and the frets needed a level. The bridge was carved to 20 degrees which doesn’t match the 12degree fretboard radius so that was corrected. My Super tech, Brian Kirkner completed the work in a day. When I picked up the guitar I was SHOCKED by its sound, playability and how comfortable it was to sit with or stand with it.
    The Kent Armstrong pickup is an Asian made "Jazzy Joe". It sounds nice and clear but it doesn’t have much volume. Since I play this through my GT-001 with headphones, I am able to increase the volume on the EQ a bit to compensate for the poor output of the pickup. But I am happy with it overall.
    After spending a couple of weeks with this guitar it has proved to me without question that you don’t need to spend a lot of money to get a truly nice guitar. The neck is extraordinarily nice. Not too thin. Right in the middle of my GB100 and L5. Will it replace Any of my other Guitars? Nope. But I’ll tell you this, I will play the heck out of this guitar and it will be my baby for a long time.
    You don’t need to spend a lot of money to get a wonderful guitar. With the proper setup and electronic tweaks this guitar will stand up to anything.
    Here is a Video that I recorded. No Amp. Just the Boss GT_001. No Amp Simulation. I only use the EQ and Reverb. The EQ is set flat as always, but I use the overall Level on the EQ to add volume, without colorizing the sound at all.
    I hope you like..
    Seriously guys, this is an OUTSTANDING value for 4 times the price.
    Thanks for looking. I will add some pictures later on.

Joe D

I added another video because I am excited about the sound and the use of the crystal clear camera on my iPhone 12 Max Pro.
    I hope you like..

Thanks for looking..
    JD
    Last edited by Max405; 01-24-2021 at 03:17 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Joe congratulations! That sounds fantastic as does everything you put in your hands. I have never played one but if I ever have the chance I will be sure to check one out. Thanks for the recommendation! As usual you make it sound like a million bucks.

Doug

User Info Menu

It's not the bow, it's the archer!

User Info Menu

nice Joe D...wonderful playing, recording and write up as usual...a lesson for those that think quality guitar tones have to be big $$$$....

a well done set-up can really make guitars sing..and those red silk strings! hah

and you can always get a different floater pickup down the line

well done pal

cheers

User Info Menu

Epiphone makes some very nice guitars. Always have, even after Gibson sent them overseas. IME they're as good as Gibsons, just with a different headstock.

User Info Menu

That sounds great Joe. You played beautifully!
    Keith

User Info Menu

i've never had an Epiphone I didn't really like. I currently have 2, the Broadway is I think the same basic body as the Emperor Regent, just with routed pickups. I love that guitar. You really show here that a capable guitar in the hands of a fine player makes for a superb combination. Just beautiful.

User Info Menu

ps- you also got it shinier than any factory fresh epi i've ever seen!!..hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Wow! JD, you sound great brother! The guitar sounds good too! Just amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker
    Joe congratulations! That sounds fantastic as does everything you put in your hands. I have never played one but if I ever have the chance I will be sure to check one out. Thanks for the recommendation! As usual you make it sound like a million bucks.
    Doug
    Dougie, this guitar is an important one for me. It marks the official end of my guitar buying. My L5 is my crown jewel. My 165 is the apple of my eye and a guitar that I will always hold dear to my heart. The Gb100 was supposed be my beater and then I turned it into a masterpiece. This EER is going to do what the GB was supposed to do. Be the guitar I take with me wherever I go and will be the one I end up playing the most. I told Steve that I will still take care of like it’s a Monteleone. But I’m gonna wear this one out.
    Thank you for the beautiful things you say bro. I’ll send you a check soon..
    L’J

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice Joe D...wonderful playing, recording and write up as usual...a lesson for those that think quality guitar tones have to be big $$$$....
    a well done set-up can really make guitars sing..and those red silk strings! hah
    and you can always get a different floater pickup down the line
    well done pal
    cheers
    ps- you also got it shinier than any factory fresh epi i've ever seen!!..hah
    cheers
    N, you are so right buddy.
    If anyone in the NJ area wants a GREAT luthier, my guy Brian Kirkner is the one for you. If you buy a new guitar, let Brian make it into a perfect guitar. He is incredible. And reasonable too.
    You are right, I am considering the 12 pole Hand wound KA. Kent told me it’s as good as the original Gibson Johnny Smith floater. He recommended that pickup to me specifically. Right now I don’t think I need it, but it’s on the list..
    And yes, I detailed the crap out of it. Meguires 101, 105 and Menzerna P085rd. Then topped with Virtuoso. The metalwork got 100% Carnuba. It sits on my wall and it thinks it’s a Monteleone!!
    Take care buddy.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    It's not the bow, it's the archer!
    Nice! I like it! Thank you C.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Epiphone makes some very nice guitars. Always have, even after Gibson sent them overseas. IME they're as good as Gibsons, just with a different headstock.
    Epi makes nice guitars for sure. The manufacturing facilities in Korea, Japan and China are loaded with hard workers who take pride in what they make. As long as the workers are treated fairly, I am a fan!
    Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    That sounds great Joe. You played beautifully!
    Keith
    Keith as always, that means a lot to me coming from you. You are an outstanding player and a really good guy. Thanks buddy,
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    i've never had an Epiphone I didn't really like. I currently have 2, the Broadway is I think the same basic body as the Emperor Regent, just with routed pickups. I love that guitar. You really show here that a capable guitar in the hands of a fine player makes for a superb combination. Just beautiful.
    Yes you’ve said it before. Epiphones are quality guitars. The Japanese models are special. And these Peerless built guitars are really good too. They are extremely well built. The neck on this guitar is pretty much perfect. Thank you Lawson.
    Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Wow! JD, you sound great brother! The guitar sounds good too! Just amazing.
    Sky, thank you my good man. We are very fortunate. Our hero Johnny Smith set the bar waaayy up there and we constantly have a high level of playing that we try to match up too. In my case I never come close but each time I get a little better. I am happy. Very happy.
    Thank you bro,
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing ... and a gorgeous guitar. Play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    It sits on my wall and it thinks it’s a Monteleone!!
    haha...keep encouragin' it!

cheers

User Info Menu

2003 Epiphone Emperor Regent Video added-fab6cac1-1b2d-4dd1-b8e8-1d2222573336-jpeg2003 Epiphone Emperor Regent Video added-1e762e4b-3536-4b7e-8128-351f0e13bf72-jpg2003 Epiphone Emperor Regent Video added-387e497c-607d-401e-8f66-a67a71c2318b-jpeg2003 Epiphone Emperor Regent Video added-47dca386-ba0a-4425-962b-4207245bc388-jpg2003 Epiphone Emperor Regent Video added-b3f66056-6b29-4a81-8168-a498db64d42f-jpg2003 Epiphone Emperor Regent Video added-78b5b914-1133-41a5-9f15-5ceeb0a8b951-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow, that sounds beautiful, Joe! Love the song, and the arrangement, and the way you play it, too. I like that tone as much as any you've posted. I remember playing one of those when they first came out and thinking it was great. It sticks in my mind to this day. I think you'll be very happy with that as your "beater."

John

User Info Menu

great pics!...i'm big fan of frequensator tailpiece..not only looks cool but really affects tone...all that space between bridge and tailpiece on heavy strings...really lets them resonate!

they work best with heavy strings!

expert finish shine Joe D! unreal! bravo

cheers

User Info Menu

Really lovely playing.

User Info Menu

Lovely playing, thanks! I've said this a few times before: the Emperor Regent is grossly underrated. Mine is a Korean -99, impeccable in finish and detail. All-maple construction and a floating mini-humbucker result in a bright tone, which is fine for e.g. swing comping. There are limits to how much darker/mellower the tone gets from upgrading the electronics; you can't alter completely the nature of an instrument with a strong acoustic presence. Heavy flatwounds will probably do just as much. I've said this, too: when it's time to wind down, the Regent will be the last one to leave.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hi guys,

Seriously guys, this is an OUTSTANDING value for 4 times the price.
    Thanks for looking. I will add some pictures later on.

Joe D

Joe. What a great start to the day. The Epi sounds top notch and after a little !! buffing looks like new
    congratulations on a very nice rendition and this acquisition.I applaud all of the compliments that
    you rightly deserve. Very well done my friend, Ill wager Elaine likes it also.
    Best , Alan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Wow, that sounds beautiful, Joe! Love the song, and the arrangement, and the way you play it, too. I like that tone as much as any you've posted. I remember playing one of those when they first came out and thinking it was great. It sticks in my mind to this day. I think you'll be very happy with that as your "beater."
    John
    Hi John,
    I feel in love with the song when searching through my albums for something new to learn. This is a bonus track on the Bad Benson Album. I know Cole Porter wrote a song called From Now On, but the melody was way different. I am thinking that this is a George Benson Original. Maybe I am wrong.
    Yeah, like I said, I had one of these EER's and I wanted so much to love it. But, it was abused and the neck was twisted. This one has been made right by my friend and Super Tech Brian Kirkner. A great setup makes all the difference on a guitar that has a dead straight neck.
    I just want to clarify something. I didnt mean to sound like a snob when I said the word "beater". When I bought my GB100, I wanted that guitar to be a guitar that I really didnt care about "cosmetically". I needed something that I could take with me places without caring so much if I dinged it up. But after I got it, I did what I always do.. I made it perfect. So I figured ya know, if I bought an inexpensive guitar, I wouldnt want to make it into a masterpiece. Well, that was another epic failure! This guitar is just as cared for as my other babies. I've come to a final conclusion.. I could never own a beater guitar. I take ridiculous care of my stuff all the same, regardless of how much its worth!
    Thank You John. I appreciate what you said. I really do.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Really lovely playing.
    Thank You CXKE! Its a very romantic melody. Easy to like..
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Lovely playing, thanks! I've said this a few times before: the Emperor Regent is grossly underrated. Mine is a Korean -99, impeccable in finish and detail. All-maple construction and a floating mini-humbucker result in a bright tone, which is fine for e.g. swing comping. There are limits to how much darker/mellower the tone gets from upgrading the electronics; you can't alter completely the nature of an instrument with a strong acoustic presence. Heavy flatwounds will probably do just as much. I've said this, too: when it's time to wind down, the Regent will be the last one to leave.
    You are so right GB. This one is one of the last of the Peerless built Epiphone Guitars. Surprisingly light weight. But very well made. The neck is actually very perfect. Between my L5 and my GB100, yet a hair closer to the L5.
    I could definitely see how this guitar would be the last to leave. Its all the guitar anyone who loves Jazz and Chord Melody could ever really need.
    Thank you for what you said. I appreciate it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe. What a great start to the day. The Epi sounds top notch and after a little !! buffing looks like new
    congratulations on a very nice rendition and this acquisition.I applaud all of the compliments that
    you rightly deserve. Very well done my friend, Ill wager Elaine likes it also.
    Best , Alan
    Foxman, Thank you my good friend. We are sooo blessed to be able to make music. I couldn't imagine a life without this priviledge. A gift from God.
    My wife said I look sexy in the video and she said the song is the most romantic one I've ever played.. Can you imagine if it was, "Love Walked In", by the Flamingo's? Oh boy.. I'd be in trouble!
    As always, thanks for always being there my man. I am blessed to have you as a friend.
    L,J

User Info Menu

great pics!...i'm big fan of frequensator tailpiece..not only looks cool but really affects tone...all that space between bridge and tailpiece on heavy strings...really lets them resonate!
    they work best with heavy strings!
    expert finish shine Joe D! unreal! bravo
    cheers
    Hi N, I never thought about the tone difference that the frequensator brings. Ive actually come to appreciate how easy it is to change the strings with it. The pieces just come right out. And the sexy Ti red silk wrappings fit comfortably in the slots. Good Stuff.
    Thanks for noticing the Shiny-ness on my purdied up baby. Nothing beats touching a slick, smooth finish on a guitar.
    JD