The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 99 of 99

User Info Menu

JD, you could make a cigar box with strings sound good.

There is no doubt that guitars from Japan and Korea are sounding great these days. That is a pretty nice looking "beater" you got there.

And I do not believe that your guitar buying days are over. Your saying so brings to mind an old story about a wolf and someone crying.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    is the bridge saddle tilting on the base posts under tension?....sometimes the saddle bends toward the headstock side...ever so slightly, but it will affect action/feel
    cheers
    Naa.. Its straight up like my peartness self..

the low notes are solid...but lush is harder to define or capture!...the recording is low end tight and clean, super well done...but the guitar and perhaps in combination with the mia ka pup doesn't have the rich low end harmonic content that some of your other guitars had....which is no insult!! you had some guitars!!
    and yes it does sound similar to your solid formed...but that wasn't my fave either!! hah..they both sound a little tight to me..by compare...(and i have been enjoying your playing vids a long time now!)
    no putdown...i think you always bring out the best in your guitars...playing, looks, recording etc...but all guitars are unique!
    cheers
    I hear you bro. And I sense exactly what you hear when I am playing, but I can’t actually hear it. Man, you got some ear buddy. Thank you for explaining and as always I appreciate the really nice and thoughtful things you say.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    JD, you could make a cigar box with strings sound good.
    There is no doubt that guitars from Japan and Korea are sounding great these days. That is a pretty nice looking "beater" you got there.
    And I do not believe that your guitar buying days are over. Your saying so brings to mind an old story about a wolf and someone crying.
    Thank you brother. Yeah, I was thinking the same. I played all 4 yesterday. I was thinking.. Now, I like long scale. And the GB100 stays.. It’s funny how one of my guitars always changes the plans that my stupid ass has..
    JD

User Info Menu

You've inspired me to play my Peerless Monarch more! I've been enjoying it all weekend, though it has a pickup that is a bit more "thunky" than I want on a floater. I'm thinking of putting the KA 12 pole on it. I always enjoy your playing, and the lovely sound you elicit from whatever guitar you're playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    You've inspired me to play my Peerless Monarch more! I've been enjoying it all weekend, though it has a pickup that is a bit more "thunky" than I want on a floater. I'm thinking of putting the KA 12 pole on it. I always enjoy your playing, and the lovely sound you elicit from whatever guitar you're playing.
    Thank You Lawson. I am glad I got you to reunite with your Monarch!
    Is your stock pickup decent? Does it have any volume to it? The stock pickup on this guitar was bad enough for the previous owner to make a switch to this non-Kent made Kent Armstrong. This pickup is pretty weak too. I would guesstimate it to have 60% of the BJB's volume. Maybe 75% of the George Benson Special Ibanez pickup volume. Good thing I can boost the level on my EQ in the Boss GT-001 without introducing any artificial colorization of the sound. That device is a God send. I just wish it had a looper. I'd be a much better improvisational player if it did..
    Thanks again Lawson.
    PS, If you are interested, I put another video up on my YouTube channel that I recorded at the same with this one. Autumn Nocturne. Yeah, I know..

User Info Menu

hope you don't mind Joe D....too nice not to put up here!!

another beauty

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Thank You Lawson. I am glad I got you to reunite with your Monarch!
    Is your stock pickup decent? Does it have any volume to it? The stock pickup on this guitar was bad enough for the previous owner to make a switch to this non-Kent made Kent Armstrong. This pickup is pretty weak too. I would guesstimate it to have 60% of the BJB's volume. Maybe 75% of the George Benson Special Ibanez pickup volume. Good thing I can boost the level on my EQ in the Boss GT-001 without introducing any artificial colorization of the sound. That device is a God send. I just wish it had a looper. I'd be a much better improvisational player if it did..
    Thanks again Lawson.
    PS, If you are interested, I put another video up on my YouTube channel that I recorded at the same with this one. Autumn Nocturne. Yeah, I know..
    I always enjoy hearing you play!

The pickup on my Peerless Monarch is unusual. It's really THICK even compared to the KA 12 Pole. See below, the Peerless is on the Left.

2003 Epiphone Emperor Regent Video added-peerless-kajs12-jpg

It has the volume, but it also is a bit on the dark side. I posted on the "jam" thread a quick clip of "Beatrice" using the Peerless. From a guitar with a floater, I really want it to be clear, not anywhere close to "muddy." Yours actually sounds nicer than my Peerless pickup, which I think is a pretty generic one judging from the markings on the back of it.

User Info Menu

Thank You Neatomic. You are the best! I up rez'd the Iphone12 pro Max clip to 30 fps, instead of the 24 that I used on the other video and I think it smoothed it a out a little. I am trying the get the best possible recording setup, so I could concentrate on playing more. I still want to make a DVD, all dressed up and stuff for my friends and my family. That would be nice.

Lawson, got it. I am going to listen to your clip. Please do me a favor. If you install the hand wound KA 12 pole, please tell me what you think of it. I am considering buying that very same one. I'd love to hear or hear your thoughts on the Hand wound KA on the Monarch.
    Thank You Guys!
    JD

User Info Menu

Thank You Neatomic. You are the best! I up rez'd the Iphone12 pro Max clip to 30 fps, instead of the 24 that I used on the other video and I think it smoothed it a out a little. I am trying the get the best possible recording setup, so I could concentrate on playing more. I still want to make a DVD, all dressed up and stuff for my friends and my family. That would be nice.

Lawson, got it. I am going to listen to your clip. Please do me a favor. If you install the hand wound KA 12 pole, please tell me what you think of it. I am considering buying that very same one. I'd love to hear or hear your thoughts on the Hand wound KA on the Monarch.
    Thank You Guys!
    JD
    Sure thing. I do have one installed on my Loar LH650 and it sounds really good. Clarity is the main thing I notice. I guess by that I mean it doesn't sound like the tone is rolled off, but it isn't bright and sharp either.

User Info Menu

Lawson,
    I just caught the YT post that you made playing " Whisper Not" which you should
    post here also, congratulations on your rendition, a favourite of mine. The
    regulatory Pork Pie hat is cool too !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Lawson,
    I just caught the YT post that you made playing " Whisper Not" which you should
    post here also, congratulations on your rendition, a favourite of mine. The
    regulatory Pork Pie hat is cool too !

I posted 3 clips. Which one was it you saw?

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I edited one more video today with this guitar.
    I find myself playing this guitar every day. It has become exactly what I had envisioned that it would be. A guitar like this is needs to be setup correctly. The neck is one piece. So it is susceptable to variation when the weather changes. Not large variations. Just subtle ones. When I got the guitar back from Brian the neck was dead perfectly flat. Extremely low action. Since then, I raised the bridge a half turn because I was getting some very slight muting in the middle strings from the 9th to the 12 fret. Now its fine.
    It is a very cost effective, excellent guitar that demands to be played. Every thing about it is welcoming. The feel of the neck. The edges of the fretboard are rolled off perfectly. The balance of the notes all over the fretboard. The nice even tone, that doesn't overwhelm your senses. I am glad I bought this guitar. I dont mean this in a bad way, but it reminds me every day just how GREAT my L5 is. I know I say this alot, but this EER will be with me a long, long time.
    I have no desire to buy any more guitars.
    I hope you like my video.

Thanks everyone.
    JD

User Info Menu

glad to see you bonding so nicely with the epi Joe D...makin it sound great!

neck movement is within the domain of trussrod adjustment...keep your trussrod tool handy and you won't have to fool with bridge height...keep the action low without dead notes

really nice playin ...as always!! great version of my romance!...bravo

and to think epi has no current real jazzy archtops in the line up at present...sad

cheers

ps- funny there's an older thread making the rounds again here...

DO YOU REGRET BUYING AN EPIPHONE?

after this wonderful thread, it should be- do you regret NOT buying an epiphone! haha

User Info Menu

Hi,
    [...]
    Thanks everyone.
    JD
    Speechless. (A good thing.)

Joe,

Perfect moments do not just happen. They are made.

I both want to practice until my fingers fall off, and give up and sell everything.

I’ll try the practice route for now, knowing I will not get there - but have a target to aim for.

Inspirational.

Beyond superb.

This vid answers every question about where a guitar is made, how much it costs, the pedigree of the name, the brand of the strings, the phase of the moon, the politics of stupidity, the value of expression, the reason for playing, the fingers of the player vs. EVERYTHING else.

11 out of 10.

Many thanks.

EDIT: 21 out of 10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bezoeker

This vid answers every question about where a guitar is made, how much it costs, the pedigree of the name, the brand of the strings, the phase of the moon, the politics of stupidity, the value of expression, the reason for playing, the fingers of the player vs. EVERYTHING else.
    well i wouldn't go that far! the strings gotta be thomastik jazz swings....with the red silk, mon!

haha

cheers

User Info Menu

glad to see you bonding so nicely with the epi Joe D...makin it sound great!
    neck movement is within the domain of trussrod adjustment...keep your trussrod tool handy and you won't have to fool with bridge height...keep the action low without dead notes
    really nice playin ...as always!! great version of my romance!...bravo
    and to think epi has no current real jazzy archtops in the line up at present...sad
    cheers
    ps- funny there's an older thread making the rounds again here...

DO YOU REGRET BUYING AN EPIPHONE?

after this wonderful thread, it should be- do you regret NOT buying an epiphone! haha
    N, thank you sir. I bought one (actually 2) of these a while back and I really wanted it to work for me. It wasn’t meant to be. This one, much betta!
    Neatomic, I appreciate you bud. You know your stuff and I value your opinion.
    Thanks, JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bezoeker
    Speechless. (A good thing.)
    Joe,
    Perfect moments do not just happen. They are made.
    I both want to practice until my fingers fall off, and give up and sell everything.
    I’ll try the practice route for now, knowing I will not get there - but have a target to aim for.
    Inspirational.
    Beyond superb.
    11 out of 10.
    Many thanks.
    EDIT: 21 out of 10
    Wow. Nicest words ever spoken to me. I wonder sometimes why I do this. Your post verifies the reason.
    I’ve said before, the privilege of being able to make music with my hands is something I am going give my God a big hug for when I see him, hopefully in about 30 years. I don’t take a morsel of it for granted.
    Making videos is not easy work. The playing is just the beginning. Setting up the lighting, Setting the cameras, focusing them making sure my volume is right. Then try not get nervous while I play some seriously hard stuff. Try not to mess up (too much). And then editing, flowing the multiple camera output, adding movement with dynamic zoom, enhancing the audio, color correction ripping the file then I have to come with a description for YouTube. It’s amazing that I can get through all of that. One person.
    All this one person ever wants is for people to enjoy what I do. A 7 out of 10 is all I reasonably can expect. But a 21 out of 10?!? Nnnniiice!
    Bezoeker I really appreciate what you said. And like Neatomic says.. it’s all in the strings. The red silk. That’s where the music starts.
    Thank you very, very much.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

And like Neatomic says.. it’s all in the strings. The red silk. That’s where the music starts.
    well...the music starts in the heart 'n soul of the player...then the pick or fingers...but strings are up there!! hah

and thoms ain't bad!

cheers

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I find myself playing this guitar every day. It has become exactly what I had envisioned that it would be. A guitar like this is needs to be setup correctly. The neck is one piece. So it is susceptable to variation when the weather changes. Not large variations. Just subtle ones. When I got the guitar back from Brian the neck was dead perfectly flat. Extremely low action. Since then, I raised the bridge a half turn because I was getting some very slight muting in the middle strings from the 9th to the 12 fret. Now its fine.
    It is a very cost effective, excellent guitar that demands to be played. Every thing about it is welcoming. The feel of the neck. The edges of the fretboard are rolled off perfectly. The balance of the notes all over the fretboard. The nice even tone, that doesn't overwhelm your senses. I am glad I bought this guitar. I dont mean this in a bad way, but it reminds me every day just how GREAT my L5 is. I know I say this alot, but this EER will be with me a long, long time.
    I have no desire to buy any more guitars.
    I hope you like my video.

Thanks everyone.
    JD
    Joe, I just A/Bed this with your performance of the same tune on your HJS. I'm beginning to suspect you are a world-class Jazz Guitarist.

Nah, just kidding, I've know it all along! Seriously, wonderful interpretation of the song. Keep up the good work!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Joe, I just A/Bed this with your performance of the same tune on your HJS. I'm beginning to suspect you are a world-class Jazz Guitarist.
    Nah, just kidding, I've know it all along! Seriously, wonderful interpretation of the song. Keep up the good work!
    Hahaa.. Thank YouC74. You and Neatomic are definitely world class gentlemen, thats for sure!
    Thanks, JD

User Info Menu

That's really splendid Joe. Just gorgeous. You have inspired me to go back and play my Epi's more!

User Info Menu

Lawson, there’s a beautiful Monarch for sale on Reverb with a hand wound Kent Armstrong on it.
    If I didn’t have the Emperor Regent, I’d buy that one in a second.
    JD

User Info Menu

Lawson, there’s a beautiful Monarch for sale on Reverb with a hand wound Kent Armstrong on it.
    If I didn’t have the Emperor Regent, I’d buy that one in a second.
    JD
    I'm seriously thinking of switching the KA from my Loar to my Peerless. That guitar is really something. No drama. I've never tweaked the truss rod, never even had to adjust the bridge after the first few tweaks the day I got it. The pickup is pretty punchy, but for a floater-archtop that's actually not what we want! So I might just do the transplant from the Loar to the Peerless sooner than I thought I would.

User Info Menu

Lawson, that Monarch was tempting to me. It was only $700. Excellent condition. With a Gold 12 pole hand wound KA. When I went back to order it, it was gone already. It would have been fun to A-B them. That’s IF my wife didn’t kill me 1st. Somebody saved me. Hopefully someone here..
    I’m glad you are playing that guitar. It’s too nice to just sit in a case.
    JD