The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 99

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdwaverider
    Beautiful playing ... and a gorgeous guitar. Play it in good health!
    Thank You!
    Your name implies that you are a surfer. Is that true?
    IF so, I hope to be helping you out some day soon on my GP1800R HO! Good times ahead!
    JD

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When you can get past the “G” stigma on the headstock you can be greatly rewarded for far less $$$.

As usual Bro, a most stellar and beautiful rendition. Bravo !!!

User Info Menu

Dear Joey,

Great player for a great guitar. You've squeezed the best out of it. You know I own the same model and, just like you, I highly praise this guitar. This is a lovely guitar in every sense.

Best to you my friend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I didnt mean to sound like a snob when I said the word "beater"... When I bought my GB100, I wanted that guitar to be a guitar that I really didnt care about "cosmetically". I needed something that I could take with me places without caring so much if I dinged it up. But after I got it, I did what I always do.. I made it perfect. So I figured ya know, if I bought an inexpensive guitar, I wouldnt want to make it into a masterpiece. Well, that was another epic failure! This guitar is just as cared for as my other babies. I've come to a final conclusion.. I could never own a beater guitar. I take ridiculous care of my stuff all the same, regardless of how much its worth!
    I didn't take it as snobbery or anything negative at all, and understood what you were getting at. Anyway, one of the great things about these less expensive Korean guitars is that those thick polyester finishes some people kvetch about are very tough. So you can detail it to perfection, and it actually has a good chance of staying that way if you take it out into the wide world.

John

User Info Menu

Excellent playing Joe!! Like I’ve said- you make any guitar sound great. The quality of Asian imports continues to improve and you can’t beat the value.

Wishing you many hours of enjoyment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

the frequensator tailpiece came from- frequency compensator!...

its designer for epi, herb sunshine said-

"i got the idea from the piano, which had different string lengths. i studied the harmonic content of the string at the bridge, and when you vary the rear string length, you changed the harmonics. it's simple really: changing the length changed the vibration patterns, and that changed the harmonics coming off the string at the bridge"

he used an oscilloscope to fine tune it!

epi marketed it simpler, saying- "the short fork on the bass side results in deeper tone. a longer fork is used on the treble for the extra brilliance desired"

the master guitarist, george van eps said- "the most openly logical improvement in years"

*quotes from the great epi guitar book- epiphone- the house of stathopoulo by fisch & fred

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    When you can get past the “G” stigma on the headstock you can be greatly rewarded for far less $$$.
    As usual Bro, a most stellar and beautiful rendition. Bravo !!!
    Bro, If you remember, you and I were on the phone going over George's albums when I decided this is was the next song I was going to tackle.
    Thank you Bro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Dear Joey,
    Great player for a great guitar. You've squeezed the best out of it. You know I own the same model and, just like you, I highly praise this guitar. This is a lovely guitar in every sense.
    Best to you my friend.
    Freddy, Believe it or not, Your video's influenced me to buy this guitar. After I saw you doing your thing on yours, I thought, "If my man Fred likes this guitar then I can work with this.."
    The one thing I like about this guitar is its "even" tone across all strings AND up and down the neck. No dead spots.
    Thank You Fred. Thanks from my heart.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Excellent playing Joe!! Like I’ve said- you make any guitar sound great. The quality of Asian imports continues to improve and you can’t beat the value.
    Wishing you many hours of enjoyment!
    Thank you Steve.
    You are right. A young player can save for a month or two and get a really guitar right now. I guarantee I will run out of talent before this guitar runs out of capabilities.
    Thanks again. JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the frequensator tailpiece came from- frequency compensator!...

its designer for epi, herb sunshine said-

"i got the idea from the piano, which had different string lengths. i studied the harmonic content of the string at the bridge, and when you vary the rear string length, you changed the harmonics. it's simple really: changing the length changed the vibration patterns, and that changed the harmonics coming off the string at the bridge"

he used an oscilloscope to fine tune it!
    epi marketed it simpler, saying- "the short fork on the bass side results in deeper tone. a longer fork is used on the treble for the extra brilliance desired"
    the master guitarist, george van eps said- "the most openly logical improvement in years"
    *quotes from the great epi guitar book- epiphone- the house of stathopoulo by fisch & fred
    cheers
    Wow! Thanks for that Neatomic!
    I live up the hill from where George was born in Plainfield NJ. It was a very different time back then. Me and my son hike the Watchung mountains which is also in my backyard. At one time that was the best vacation destination in the area, because the was no malaria. When George was born the automobile made other parts of the area more accessible, mostly the New Jersey Shore - which basically put the Watchung mountains out of business.
    George Van Eps was a tremendous player. Highly under-rated. Sadly he never gets much mention as he was not a single note player like Django and Charlie Christian. He basically played the piano on the Guitar. 7 strings in fact.. An absolute virtuoso.
    JD

User Info Menu

Frequensators look cool and are supposedly sonically good but are unfortunately a bad design in the end. Not so much the thought of using forks which seems like a good idea, but you'll find more vintage Epi's w/a cracked or broken base than not. Maybe if they had made that part of the t.p. thicker/sturdier, but as is they're flawed. The hooks are prone to breaking as well, though I've seen less examples of that. Johnny Smith used one w/2 long forks when he had his Epi.

User Info Menu

F
    The one thing I like about this guitar is its "even" tone across all strings AND up and down the neck. No dead spots.
    funny you should write that Joe D...as the epi frequensator ad copy read-

greater clarity....truer tone..eliminates deadspots!

cheers

ps- & nice appreciation of maestro van eps and his old stomping grounds!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Frequensators look cool and are supposedly sonically good but are unfortunately a bad design in the end. Not so much the thought of using forks which seems like a good idea, but you'll find more vintage Epi's w/a cracked or broken base than not. Maybe if they had made that part of the t.p. thicker/sturdier, but as is they're flawed. The hooks are prone to breaking as well, though I've seen less examples of that. Johnny Smith used one w/2 long forks when he had his Epi.
    yes hopefully the modern era asian made versions are less prone to breakage...and if they do, they are at least a common stock item these days..can be had for around 25$

the larger issue is some wound strings are too short from ball to silk...so choice of strings can be an issue...fortunately the great thomastik pure nickel jazz swing has no such problem!

cheers

ps- i'd imagine johnny smith changed his bass side to longer fork, over string length issues..he was a string experimenter..and often tuned his low E down to D...mixed rounds and flats etc

User Info Menu

yes hopefully the modern era asian made versions are less prone to breakage...and if they do, they are at least a common stock item these days..can be had for around 25$

the larger issue is some wound strings are too short from ball to silk...so choice of strings can be an issue...fortunately the great thomastik pure nickel jazz swing has no such problem!

cheers
    the old ones are made of brass which isn't the strongest metal to begin with, I don't know what they're using today, could be something as weak as pot metal or strong as steel, I have no idea.

User Info Menu

also the heavy gauge high tension strings of that vintage era probably contributed to that breakage..these days strings are lighter gauged and lower tension...big improvements in design and manufacturing

cheers

User Info Menu

also the heavy gauge high tension strings of that vintage era probably contributed to that breakage..these days strings are lighter gauged and lower tension...big improvements in design and manufacturing

cheers
    maybe, but I've owned old Epi's w/unbroken Frequensators when I purchased them develop cracks while I owned them and I never use anything heavier than 13-56 gauge. whether the metal was already fatigued when I purchased the guitar but didn't show any sign of cracking I can't say.

User Info Menu

Geez, Joe, you make some beautiful music with this guitar. It looks just like mine I got in the early 2000s; but it sounds so much better in your hands. I've always said the neck is the best I have, and I've only played one better - on an ES-137 DeLuxe - the one with the Vari-Tone - that I passed up while shopping for a bass amp for my youngest granddaughter (I had just dropped 2k at that store the week before on a Golden Era D-18. I finally got an ES-137 Custom a few years later). I digress.

The Epiphone Emperor Regent remains a sleeper. A couple upgrades and you can have a first-rate gigging jazz guitar.

Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing on a beautiful guitar. Nothing else matters.

User Info Menu

What are the differences (if any) between a Peerless made Epiphone Emperor Regent and a 17" Peerless Monarch with a floater, other than I guess the trim level? I ask because I think they'd be close, but the EER in good shape sells for a bit more than a used Peerless Monarch, which I find really fascinating.

Joe clearly knows how to pick 'em in both senses of the phrase.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Geez, Joe, you make some beautiful music with this guitar. It looks just like mine I got in the early 2000s; but it sounds so much better in your hands. I've always said the neck is the best I have, and I've only played one better - on an ES-137 DeLuxe - the one with the Vari-Tone - that I passed up while shopping for a bass amp for my youngest granddaughter (I had just dropped 2k at that store the week before on a Golden Era D-18. I finally got an ES-137 Custom a few years later). I digress.

The Epiphone Emperor Regent remains a sleeper. A couple upgrades and you can have a first-rate gigging jazz guitar.

Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    Thank you C74.
    I didn’t know you have one. Early 2000’s. Maybe from the same batch! I like the way the guitar responds to a soft touch and when I put the hammer down. I played it tonight. 25 arrangements straight through. Like a old pair gloves already. I am very satisfied with this guitar.
    Thank you my good man!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Beautiful playing on a beautiful guitar. Nothing else matters.
    Robster! Thank you sir. It’s a beautiful song. You need to play this one boss.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    What are the differences (if any) between a Peerless made Epiphone Emperor Regent and a 17" Peerless Monarch with a floater, other than I guess the trim level? I ask because I think they'd be close, but the EER in good shape sells for a bit more than a used Peerless Monarch, which I find really fascinating.
    Joe clearly knows how to pick 'em in both senses of the phrase.
    Hey Lawson, thanks buddy. I just checked Reverb and there are no used Monarchs. And they are solid wood whereas the EER’s are laminated throughout. I thought you had a Monarch? They are nice. They are around $1500 brand new for a solid wood guitar. They are nice. I like the Jazz City guitars too. They blinged out with abalone. And they are dull finished. I would polish one of those right up. Nice color too..
    I wonder if anyone here has one.
    JD

User Info Menu

Thank You!
    Your name implies that you are a surfer. Is that true?
    IF so, I hope to be helping you out some day soon on my GP1800R HO! Good times ahead!
    JD
    Yes, indeed, I have surfed most of my life, from Baja Mexicao to British Columbia, but I've never dropped into a wave that I didn't paddle into ... tow-in is an entirely different ball of wax!

User Info Menu

Joe,

Sounding great, as always! These Epis are great. My Korean made EER was acoustically the best sounding laminate guitar I’ve heard. A joy to play. May she continue to reward you for years to come!

Roli

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Actually, I've found the frequensator quite annoying on my Epi, making background noise on some frequences. So, I've decided to dampen it with cork pieces. Now it's fine.
    2003 Epiphone Emperor Regent Video added-epi-jpg