The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Hey folks,

Even though I recently acquired a Ibanez SJ500 that I am quite pleased with, I have a chance to get a 1990's Terada-built jazzbox that is a copy of a Gibson Le Grande -- it's the History HS-JS2. It allegedly has a carved spruce top, flamed laminate maple sides and back, three-piece maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, and is finished in thin nitro lacquer.

Does anyone have any experience with this guitar? I would love to know anything about this big jazzbox. Here is the original ad:

Up for sale is a Very Well made Japanese Replica of Gibson's “Le Grande” model (Google it!), a famed TERADA Factory Made Full Acoustic Guitar “History”. TERADA is a main factory for Gretsch, D'aquisto, Sadowsky, Tokai, Epiphone Elitist. They make lots of Higher grade models of archtop guitars.

This one is entirely handbuilt by master craftsmen in their factory in the mid of 1990s. It's in Vintage Sunburst with Very Thin Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish (from the base coat to the finish). Around 25 years passed since new but it's very comfortable to play with VERY Low-action. The neck is almost deadly straight. The truss rod works properly. The frets are around 70% and in good shape with no deep grooves. Sounds and plays great.

The body has tiny dings and many surface scratches, because the nitro finish is so delicate (not deep scratches). No chips or major dings at the body. The white bindings turn to yellow nicely. The neck has a small chip at the edge of the headstock, minor dings and very thin clearcoat peelings on the backside (around the 10th to 12th fret). Back of the neck smooth.

The weight of the guitar is about 3.2kg (7.05lbs). It comes with the original hard shell case.

Specifications:

Body size at lower bout: 17" (431mm), Body depth: 3.23" (82mm) Scale length: 25.5" (647.7mm), Nut width: 11/16th". (43mm).

• Hand Carved Spruce Top
    • Curly Maple Side & Back
    • 3-piece Maple Neck (Scale length: 25.5"/ 647.7mm)
    • Rosewood Fretboard with Super 400 style split block fingerboard inlay
    • Gold adjustable Gold Finger Tailpiece
    • Solid ebony bridge with pearl inlay in base
    • Factory installed Gold Floating Pickups with Volumes and Output jack
    • Quintuple-bound Tortoise Pickguard

---------------------------------------
    And here are some pics:

History HS-JS2 - Gibson "Re Grande"-history-6-jpgHistory HS-JS2 - Gibson "Re Grande"-history-5-jpgHistory HS-JS2 - Gibson "Re Grande"-history-4-jpgHistory HS-JS2 - Gibson "Re Grande"-vsruwwmusuh5dvkflk0k-jpgHistory HS-JS2 - Gibson "Re Grande"-history-2-jpgHistory HS-JS2 - Gibson "Re Grande"-history-1-jpg

Thanks!!

-Chris
    Last edited by h1pst3r88; 01-18-2021 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh wow. I never played one but History guitars are supposed to be very nice guitars. I would have jumped on that too if I had seen it.
    Congrats!
    Last edited by waltf; 01-18-2021 at 02:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Here is the catalogue. Originally 125000 yen (in 1996).
    https://www.shimamura.co.jp/original...d_history2.pdf

Hi Walt,

Yes I found that catalog but I can't read Japanese so the description doesn't help me. Anyone who can read Japanese in the room?

Thanks!

-Chris

User Info Menu

Very nice
    indeed !!!

Sorry Chris, I don't know anything about them, but this one looks sweet!

I thought I had recently seen someone playing one on YouTube? I was thinking it was Alessio Menconi, but I just took a look again and I can't find it?

Good luck nonetheless!
    MB

User Info Menu

I remember seeing one of those, maybe that one, on Reverb. Seems like a man awfully low original price for a carved top, doesn’t it? Maybe not, but it feels like it to me. It looks very nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I remember seeing one of those, maybe that one, on Reverb. Seems like a man awfully low original price for a carved top, doesn’t it? Maybe not, but it feels like it to me. It looks very nice though.
    Agreed -- that's $1200USD in 1996, and according to an inflation calculator, still only about $2000 in today's dollars. I just don't see a solid carved top jazzbox going for that price.

I think I may be backing out of this one.

-Chris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by h1pst3r88
    Hi Walt,

Yes I found that catalog but I can't read Japanese so the description doesn't help me. Anyone who can read Japanese in the room?

Thanks!

-Chris
    The translation of the catalogue page does not help, but this is "fun".

Google Translate

Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by h1pst3r88
    Hi Walt,

Thanks!

-Chris
    Yeah. It says (for the HS-J2) "Excellent for standard and modern jazz. The curly maple back, finger tailpiece, and mini humbucker allow for the perfect soft jazz sound.

Top: spruce
    Back: curly maple
    Sides: curly maple
    Neck: Maple
    Fingerboard: rosewood

Two small humbuckers (floating), finger tailpiece, History Vintage Lacquer

[comes in Violin Sunburst (VS) and Natural (AN)

The JS-1 is for single humbucker (JPY 115,000)
    The SV is for built-in double humbuckers. (JPY 120,000)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waltf
    Here is the catalogue. Originally 125000 yen (in 1996).
    https://www.shimamura.co.jp/original...d_history2.pdf
    Nice looking guitars in there - then I saw this - what the...?

History HS-JS2 - Gibson "Re Grande"-f533600c-76a3-40b5-9e4e-bd820d6ff49a-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    Nice looking guitars in there - then I saw this - what the...?

History HS-JS2 - Gibson "Re Grande"-f533600c-76a3-40b5-9e4e-bd820d6ff49a-jpeg
    In the 80s and 90s, Japanese electric guitar makers played around with limited editions for the domestic market, many of which were either "pretty" versions of existing guitars (like the SG T1, T2, T25S, Yamaha SG3000 Gold, etc, or had special construction designed to make them "super guitars".

In this case, 100% aluminum body to increase sustain and sharpness of attack (people had that idea back then)
    It also had active pickups.

Other mfrs played with solid bodies of other materials. Yamaha with wood combos, Ibanez with polymer/acrylic IIRC.

Reminder that Yamaha did active pickups in a couple of special editions, then in some more regular or slightly special models like the SG1802A (where the "A" was for active pickups).