The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello. Which version of this Gibson would you prefer and why?
    I am intrigued by them but have no way to try any of them.
    Any info regarding these models is appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Both are good choices but a bit different in actual specs aside from just the tail pieces. The early ones were heavier in weight, and had maple center block as opposed to formite( balsa wood).
    Necks on early models were unbound and pickups were hotter as well. There are other differences, but do some Google research.

Mostly they feel different !

User Info Menu

I have the finger tail model: great guitar in every way. Really underrated - never understood why.
    Easy to play, fits well and sounds great. Moreover, aesthetically the model with fingers tail is truly elegant.

Just one note: I use Thomastik Flat Wound JS112 strings, and to fit the sixth string in the finger tail I have to flatten a bit the string near the ball with a plier... Just a little annoyance. Apart from that, I can't find a single fault.

Sergio

User Info Menu

I have had the finger tailpiece model since it was first available.

This is how it has fit in with my other guitars:

With the bridge pickup you can play rock through a Marshall like a Les Paul.
    With the original 300k pots it was like an ES-175 that allowed string bending.
    With the 500k pots it is now like an ES-335 with a unique shape and look.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies.
    175 that allows for bending - now that's what I'm talking about!

You can't go wrong with the finger piece one! Ebony fretboard, comfortable neck, and stunning to look at. It's got (almost) the feeling of a 335, and (almost) the sound of a 175. Best of both worlds really. I've always wanted to try a Fusion II just to see if there's any major differences, but I can't be happier than I am with the mk III.

Mine is from 97, and I got it in 2008. Back then you didn't see many of them, but it actually seems as though they've started to become a bit more popular in recent years. The prices are definitively going up, so that's a sign that you shoul snag one if you can!

Edit: by the way, don't know if you've noticed, but the pickup selector and rear upper pot have actually swapped places compared to other hollowbodies. I know some people find it weird, but I'm so used to it by now that I wouldn't want it any other way!

User Info Menu

Visually I like this one. But it's 8 pounds 5 ounces.
    How can a 14 7\8 inch hollow guitar with a balsa center block be that heavy?
    2006 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III - Vintage Sunburst | | Reverb