The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48
    Appreciate the responses and welcome!

I'm walking away from this one thanks to you guys.

And someone asked what guitar I currently owned, well as many of you all know, one's never enough, lol.

I have a 2006 white Gibson Explorer, an Onyx NJ BC Rich Warlock (I was a heavy metal kid a long time ago), and a Marlin KM-6000 acoustic.

Now in my 50s was broadening my horizons and this sale opened up near me.

I'll keep looking and browsing the forums and seeing all the classy guitars you guys are so fond of.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?
    Pricks are outside, prick is inside.

User Info Menu

Or, what is a pork-cupine?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xicanoink
    So, seller will not send me more pics other than this blurry one.

Attachment 78334

Having a hard time getting any info. Other than the seller says they know nothing about it and they got it as part of a trade.

I'm not an expert so not like some of the people here who can glance at something and know that it's a fake.

So, sorry this is all I have.

What do you guys think?
    Also: Fake! Nothing looks right here.

User Info Menu

BE VERY CAREFUL HERE! I own a BMW because it was the only car I could afford at the time. My old Land Rover died and another member of my fire brigade had a beemer that he let me pay off in installments as it was hard to sell with 400K miles on the clock! Still going though.

User Info Menu

Is this a fake Gibson?-089124cc-2c8f-437b-89f2-83716272f96a-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Likely auction lot numbers
    Sheriff, DEA , etc asset sale ??

Didn't think of that - thx.

User Info Menu

Even the BMW is probably a fake.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xicanoink
    So, seller will not send me more pics other than this blurry one.

What do you guys think?
    I think maybe you should send him a picture of a check. A blurry one.

User Info Menu

How is this picture blurry?

User Info Menu

Might be a real 'something' but not a Gibson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    BE VERY CAREFUL HERE! I own a BMW because it was the only car I could afford at the time. My old Land Rover died and another member of my fire brigade had a beemer that he let me pay off in installments as it was hard to sell with 400K miles on the clock! Still going though.
    My 320D which I bought new is hitting 15 years old and just as I don't get rid of my guitars because they are 'old', this marvellous well-behaved cheap to run motor will be with another while. Whether I am a p**** is for others to decide

User Info Menu

I have been looking into this guitar and I have contacted the seller too. The seller doesn't know the model name or production year. I definitely think it could be fake, but there has been some incorrect info on this thread and nobody here has correctly identified the model it most closely resembles, which is a Gibson Byrdland.

Byrdlands came in both double cuts and single cuts with a Florentine cutaway like this one. The weird teardrop end of the fretboard, the block inlays, that pickguard shape, the symbol on the headstock, are all found on Byrdlands. However, the arrangement of the knobs does not match any Byrdlands I have seen.

The price is absurdly low and the seller acts suspicious, so it is wise to beware of this guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tongy
    I have been looking into this guitar and I have contacted the seller too. The seller doesn't know the model name or production year. I definitely think it could be fake, but there has been some incorrect info on this thread and nobody here has correctly identified the model it most closely resembles, which is a Gibson Byrdland.

Byrdlands came in both double cuts and single cuts with a Florentine cutaway like this one. The weird teardrop end of the fretboard, the block inlays, that pickguard shape, the symbol on the headstock, are all found on Byrdlands. However, the arrangement of the knobs does not match any Byrdlands I have seen.

The price is absurdly low and the seller acts suspicious, so it is wise to beware of this guitar.
    The guitar in the picture obviously has a significantly deeper body than a Byrdland.

User Info Menu

Yes they vaguely copied some Byrdland characteristics, but not the most typical one: the thin body.

This guitar screams “not a real Gibson” so loud that I didn’t even bother comparing it to a Byrdland.....

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum, Tongy, but that’s totally wrong. Byrdlands look exactly like a short-scale L-5 CES thinline, because that’s what they are. The only double-cut ones were custom ordered and are extremely rare, The headstock inlay would be the L-5 flowerpot, not the crown on the one in the OP. The fretboard end is not the correct shape, the binding is wrong, the body shape is wrong, tailpiece is wrong—nothing is right.

Real florentine Byrdland:

Is this a fake Gibson?-front-1966-2-jpg

Danny W.

User Info Menu

It's 100% a fake.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

See post no. 21, are there any Gibson archtops where the neck joins the body at the 16th fret? That is what this guitar has.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    See post no. 21, are there any Gibson archtops where the neck joins the body at the 16th fret? That is what this guitar has.
    ES135
    But the guitar shown in OP is clearly, obviously, certainly NOT a Gibson of any kind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    ES135
    But the guitar shown in OP is clearly, obviously, certainly NOT a Gibson of any kind.
    ES 275 which it isn't either...

User Info Menu

Regardless of what the guitar in a photo would be, if a seller wants to send you only one photo, says he doesn't know anything about the instrument, got it from his great great grandfathers Uncle whatever,.. just walk away. That's not the way honest people sell guitars..

User Info Menu

Is this a fake Gibson?-new-style-f-hollow-body-jazz-electric-guitar-jpg

This is from an ad on DHgate [China]; sells for AUD $399. They don't have a headstock image on this particular sellers page though.

Cheers