The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 111

User Info Menu

The vibro champ sounds attractive and it‘s price is okay. Digital reverb info is safe?
    I‘m afraid I wouldn‘t like the stock Celestion speaker...anyway. Interesting amp, but don’t forget you‘ll get a vintage vibro champ for the same or a bit more cash.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hmmm... I see the have plywood cabinets. Could have made them a little lighter with pine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by h1pst3r88
    I had the Vibrolux version of this "drip edge" re-issue series -- it was the worst amp I have ever owned. I literally could not put it back in the box to be returned fast enough. As another member posted above, this series is not an homage to an original '68 circuit, it is a newer more modern circuit that sounds little like the amps they resemble.

The Vibro champ seems like a Princeton wannabe -- if I was shopping that amp, I would get a 12" Princeton for the same money and smile with every chord played.

-Chris
    Nothing beats the tonal dynamic of a five watter and 9 of 10 guitarists choose a champ or vibro champ for everything but as a „princeton wannabe“. The Princeton reissues sound not really like Princetons, by the way. I‘ve returned my 65 PRRI after 2 days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Hmmm... I see the have plywood cabinets. Could have made them a little lighter with pine.
    I wonder about that 30 lbs weight on the Pro. I have no idea how you make a 40w tube amp with a plywood cab at 30 lbs. Either the weight is a typo, the cab material is a typo, or that neo speaker isn't the only thing with a weight reduction. I could be wrong (I tend to be).

User Info Menu

It's certainly possible, i had an Alessandro Rottweiler 1x12 combo that was similar, 40 watts and around 30lbs. Sounded great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis
    I wonder about that 30 lbs weight on the Pro. I have no idea how you make a 40w tube amp with a plywood cab at 30 lbs. Either the weight is a typo, the cab material is a typo, or that neo speaker isn't the only thing with a weight reduction. I could be wrong (I tend to be).
    The referenced article is wrong about the weight. Fender says it weighs 35 lbs.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I had the Vibrolux version of this "drip edge" re-issue series -- it was the worst amp I have ever owned. I literally could not put it back in the box to be returned fast enough. As another member posted above, this series is not an homage to an original '68 circuit, it is a newer more modern circuit that sounds little like the amps they resemble.
    (...)
    Can You elaborate in what way it was ’worst amp You have ever owned’?

User Info Menu

I bought a 2017 Fender Princeton reverb 68 custom used. Intitally the seller was asking $699. But eventually I got it down to $625. With shipping $665. No taxes. But what I didnt know was the stock tubes were upgraded to Tung Sols. A complete set runs about $144. Also, the rectifier and V2 tubes were upgraded to Gold Lions. Each costing $40.

The base price at $625 was the lowest I have seen. New $899. I was going to upgrade the tubes to JJs. But I was pleasantly surprised with the higher grade tubes. Saved me at lease $140. $665 with shipping minus $140 = $525. Very happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I don't use modern Fenders but if I were interested in one of these I'd wait awhile til a used came up for sale and save.30%.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Can You elaborate in what way it was ’worst amp You have ever owned’?
    As context, my amps before the '68 Vibrolux were a '65 DRRI, a SamAmp boutique AB763 circuit 1x15, and my present '63 Vibroverb re-issue which is maybe my favorite amp of all time... and there have been several vintage Princetons, Princeton Reverbs, Champs and Vibro champs along the way. All of these amps are pretty much exemplars of the classic Fender clean tones, each in there own specific way.

The '68 Virbolux had nothing in common with those other amps, and that was intentional on this series -- they wanted a grittier tone and one that broke up easier. I simply could not get a pristine Fender clean tone from that amp.

I recall being at Smoke in Manhattan 12 years ago and seeing a trio killing it (as I sat next to Lou Donaldson) and listening to the guitar player's silver-face Vibrolux fill the room with some of the best guitar tones. Oh, how I wanted that '68 re-issue to sound like that. Instead it sounded like a newly landed meteorite sizzling on my front steps.

Anyone's mileage may vary, but the tone of the '68 Vibrolux re-issue to my ears was like walking over glass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I bought a 2017 Fender Princeton reverb 68 custom used. Intitally the seller was asking $699. But eventually I got it down to $625. With shipping $665. No taxes. But what I didnt know was the stock tubes were upgraded to Tung Sols. A complete set runs about $144. Also, the rectifier and V2 tubes were upgraded to Gold Lions. Each costing $40.

The base price at $625 was the lowest I have seen. New $899. I was going to upgrade the tubes to JJs. But I was pleasantly surprised with the higher grade tubes. Saved me at lease $140. $665 with shipping minus $140 = $525. Very happy with that.
    What do you think of the '68 Princeton as a jazz amp? Supposedly they are warmer than the '65 PRRI, but I've steered clear because they break up early. I've read quite a few threads here with people recommending the '65 and a speaker swap, which will run about $300 more than the '68 new.

User Info Menu

As context, my amps before the '68 Vibrolux were a '65 DRRI, a SamAmp boutique AB763 circuit 1x15, and my present '63 Vibroverb re-issue which is maybe my favorite amp of all time... and there have been several vintage Princetons, Princeton Reverbs, Champs and Vibro champs along the way. All of these amps are pretty much exemplars of the classic Fender clean tones, each in there own specific way.

The '68 Virbolux had nothing in common with those other amps, and that was intentional on this series -- they wanted a grittier tone and one that broke up easier. I simply could not get a pristine Fender clean tone from that amp.

I recall being at Smoke in Manhattan 12 years ago and seeing a trio killing it (as I sat next to Lou Donaldson) and listening to the guitar player's silver-face Vibrolux fill the room with some of the best guitar tones. Oh, how I wanted that '68 re-issue to sound like that. Instead it sounded like a newly landed meteorite sizzling on my front steps.
    Anyone's mileage may vary, but the tone of the '68 Vibrolux re-issue to my ears was like walking over glass.
    Thanks, this was very enlighting story!

User Info Menu

I own both the 2020 Princeton 65' reissue and 2017 68' custom. There are some clear differences I read about before buying and I am exploring now. Note: the 68' is NOT a reissue. It uses transformers from the time period, but also makes custom/modern mods very unquie to it.. (BTW The 65' PRRI is the Sweetwater special with 12" Canibus Rex speaker. Bought it used from a forum member.)

The breakup issue is something I have dealt with before. The best way I found is to exchange the V1 preamp to a lower gain tube. For example 12Ax7 to 5751 at 30% lower gain. I did this for both amps. Also the stock speaker Celestion 10V30 is rock oriented. I replaced it with a high quality Weber 10F150, (50 watt speaker for more headroom.) Price $103.

Beyond this you can get into some mods with circuitry for the 68' custom. IMHO those do certain things to make it sound more like the 65' reissue.

I am very satisfied with the 68' and the tone with it. Warmer, darker, yes. But the tone pots can change that. Really I set the Treble, bass and reverb at the same setting as on the 65' reissue. When I bought the 68 custom the previous owner upgraded the tube from stock to high grade Tung Sols. To coin a phase. "I have warmed up to the 68' Fender Custom Princeton reverb."

In summary, if I had to buy either, it would be the stock Sweetwater PRRI Special/limit edition as it is the best value for your money and tone wise. Looks good with the tweed tolex.

Quote Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis
    What do you think of the '68 Princeton as a jazz amp? Supposedly they are warmer than the '65 PRRI, but I've steered clear because they break up early. I've read quite a few threads here with people recommending the '65 and a speaker swap, which will run about $300 more than the '68 new.

User Info Menu

Vibrochamp with a 10 inch speaker and reverb...yes please!

User Info Menu

To revive this thread, the Custom Vibro Champ will be at my place by Friday!
    I had been wanting a small 5w tube amp for home use with Tremolo and Reverb for a couple of years, and was searching for that time.

I have a question regarding the speaker output which clearly indicates "3.2 ohms minimum"

If I understand the Celestion Ten 30 speaker has been custom tweaked by the brand to be specifically 3.2 ohms to "enhance the bass response"

Well ok, but what if you want to use an external cab? Does the label "3.2 ohms min." mean you can use any speaker higher than 3. 2 ohms ?
    Or is it best to match at 4 ohms?
    There aren't many 4 ohms guitar speakers it seems.

Would it do the amp no harm to use a 8 ohm speaker ? I wouldn't want to fry it by experimenting..
    Thanks for all advice!

User Info Menu

Anyway, I received the Champ a few days ago.
    It is great, real pleasure
    It can get way loud, I mean ear breaking power above 7 on the volume pot in a house environment.
    One thing that I've encountered, the amp sounds way better on the floor far away from a wall.
    It's pretty impressive how the thing uses the acoustics of the room you're in.
    The reverb is beautiful at 3 to 4, otherwise a bit overwhelming above that, but still interesting if you want some wooshh.
    I've had a 65 princeton reissue that I was not very fond of, the cab would rattle all over the place.
    Also a 68 custom that had a real annoying hum that I just couldn't cope with.
    Here, no rattle, no hum ?
    Overall it's a great great amplifier.
    The trem is musical, no brainer Treble and bass knobs not going all over the place, very precise and, shall I say, effective.
    I heartly recommend it.
    Maybe not the best if you want a pure clean enormous headroom, but like I said, it can get really loud for home use above 5.
    It takes pedals beautifuly. With the Strymon DECO it's pure tone.
    Coupled with my Eastman T64, Strymon DECO, and clean boost.. Never heard such a sweet sound at adequate (breakup heaven) levels.
    I recommend it.

User Info Menu

To sum up, I think it's much better quality tha than the previous 68 custom line.
    They have done their homework it seems

User Info Menu

NAD-ARD*-NAD

I also received a new Vibro Champ this week - having been in the market for a small amp that I could play at home and try to get a Julian Lage type edge of breakup sound with a Tele. Unfortunately, I have to say that I think it sounds awful - maybe mine is faulty, but the tone is quite weird and nasal to my ears - not a bit like the Fender and Anderton's videos. It didn't sound good with any of my guitars. It sounded muddy very quickly with humbuckers as I increased the gain. The top end was OK - but very boxy in the bass. Also, by the time you get breakup, it is just too loud - even when I a on my own in the house. Adding an OD pedal would seem contrary to what I was trying to achieve. I have decided to send it back.

As a comparison and potential replacement I ordered something "similar" - a Blackstar Studio 10 6L6. This is a 10 watt class A amp with one 12AX7 and one 6L6 (yes - 6L6). It arrived yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased. OK - it has a 12" Celestion speaker -and maybe it betrays the the spirit of Champ style amps by having a larger speaker and a master volume - but the latter does allow me to achieve the sound I am after, at reasonable volume, - the Vibro Champ didn't. The Blackstar also has a gain channel based on a Blackstar OD pedal (maybe redundant in my case), an FX loop (useful for inserting a looper) and a cab-emulated line out / headphone socket. The digital reverb is more restrained than that on the Vibro Champ. This is all for just over half the cost of the Fender.

*Amp Return Day

User Info Menu

The Vibrochamp looks cool. I still kick myself for letting one slip away at a pawnshop in the 1990's.
    I think they wanted $100 for it which I just didn't have at the time.

User Info Menu

Sorry it didn't workout for you Newsense.
    Like I said, one thing that really surprised me is how sensitive the amp regarding it's placement.
    If the amp is placed with the back close to the wall, and let's say at 1 meter high on a shelf, it does sound kind of one dimensional and a bit thin.
    Placed on the floor, the back at least 1 meter from the wall, it sounds huge and spacious.
    I've never encountered this at this level with any amp (open back style) before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Like I said, one thing that really surprised me is how sensitive the amp regarding it's placement.
    If the amp is placed with the back close to the wall, and let's say at 1 meter high on a shelf, it does sound kind of one dimensional and a bit thin.
    Placed on the floor, the back at least 1 meter from the wall, it sounds huge and spacious.
    I've never encountered this at this level with any amp (open back style) before.
    Seem like a candidate for a solid pine cab! Especially at low volumes the cab helps projecting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Seem like a candidate for a solid pine cab! Especially at low volumes the cab helps projecting.

User Info Menu

I will say I'm not very surprised by Newsense's review. A champ with reverb and a 10" speaker sounds cool, but not if that's a low-quality 10" speaker stuffed in a particle board cabinet that's not designed for a 10". But a 5w champ with spring reverb and a high quality 10" speaker in a solid pine cabinet the size of a Princeton Reverb? Now that is a cool amp.

Some very cool new amps coming from Fender.-img_7995-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Less weight than MDF or plywood, too, as a bonus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos

Some very cool new amps coming from Fender.-img_7995-jpg
    Do you own this amp? I have the Headstrong Lil King Princeton copy with a 12”. Great amp and probably similar size and weight as the Santa Cruz.

I had one of those Fender 57 Champ reissues and sold it to a friend. I was over his house the other day aand we both plugged into it sitting on his cement garage floor and it sounded amazing. So much so that I may buy it again There is something amazing about a lightweight pine cabinet. You almost don’t need reverb. The fact that all it has is a volume forces you to explore your guitar tones. Super lightweight and small cab. Personally I think the 57 Champ reissue is way cooler choice then that new Vibro Champ with the digital reverb. I will admit though.t..that new Champ does perk my g.a.s.

I have a 1978 fender Vibro Champ. First amp I ever bought. $98 brand new. Recently I had the “tone stack mod” done to it which means you can bypass the entire tone and bass circuits. This basically turns it into a Fender tweed 5F1 circuit. But again that heavy plywood cabinet does not have the same mojo as pine.

Here is a little video so you can hear the mod. I start out in the tweed mode and then go back to the original sound at the end. Also the original speakers were pretty bad in the 70s era champs so this also has a replacement speaker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    NAD-ARD*-NAD

I also received a new Vibro Champ this week - having been in the market for a small amp that I could play at home and try to get a Julian Lage type edge of breakup sound with a Tele. Unfortunately, I have to say that I think it sounds awful - maybe mine is faulty, but the tone is quite weird and nasal to my ears - not a bit like the Fender and Anderton's videos. It didn't sound good with any of my guitars. It sounded muddy very quickly with humbuckers as I increased the gain. The top end was OK - but very boxy in the bass. Also, by the time you get breakup, it is just too loud - even when I a on my own in the house. Adding an OD pedal would seem contrary to what I was trying to achieve. I have decided to send it back.

As a comparison and potential replacement I ordered something "similar" - a Blackstar Studio 10 6L6. This is a 10 watt class A amp with one 12AX7 and one 6L6 (yes - 6L6). It arrived yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased. OK - it has a 12" Celestion speaker -and maybe it betrays the the spirit of Champ style amps by having a larger speaker and a master volume - but the latter does allow me to achieve the sound I am after, at reasonable volume, - the Vibro Champ didn't. The Blackstar also has a gain channel based on a Blackstar OD pedal (maybe redundant in my case), an FX loop (useful for inserting a looper) and a cab-emulated line out / headphone socket. The digital reverb is more restrained than that on the Vibro Champ. This is all for just over half the cost of the Fender.

*Amp Return Day

I drank the Kool Aid that a couple of YouTube influencers were serving and despite my reservations I just HAD to try the new 68 Vibro Champ. By trying I mean buying because I can't really tell in a noisy guitar store. I've been searching for an all tube single ended 5 watt amp with onboard spring reverb for ever and it seems to be a very elusive amp. So I thought I'd give the new Champ a spin. I'm returning it. It's just didn't do it for me. While I did like the digital hall reverb I thought the sound of the amp was not that great and the 10" did not make quite the impression I had hoped it would. I will say the new 68 Champ is dead quiet. I wanted to love it. I really did.

I kept switching back and for between the new 68, a 78 Vibro Champ and my Headstrong Lil King Princeton copy with a 12". The Headstrong is obviously the real deal and can hang with a drummer no problem. I broke out the old scale and the Headstrong is only 7lbs heavier then the 68 Champ and not that much bigger (see pic below). What may turn me off about the 68 Champ is the solid state rectifier. It just doesn't have that round tube tone. The only other thing I was considering is a Swart Atomic Jr. but they are back ordered for many months.

Some very cool new amps coming from Fender.-champ-lil-king-jpg