The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 111

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I think so too.
    If the price is $700 - $800 this will probably translate to somewhere around €1.000,- . . . .
    Which is expensive!

Yeah .. That is the same price I estimated when I deemed it on the expensive side ealier in this thread, but looked again and found it this time on Thomann.de ... It's 815 Euro .. Not cheap per se, but cheaper than I expected. 12,2 kg is also a bit heavier than I hoped for, but hey ...

Fender 68 Custom Vibro Champ – Musikhaus Thomann

Might well pick it up later this year.

This is off course a bit lighter and been on the market for a year or two, but a bit too expensive for me
    Fender 57 Custom Champ – Thomann Danmark

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    These are cool amps and I'm glad Fender put a 10" speaker in the Vibro Champ and single 12" in the Pro.

Unfortunately, both have digital (hall) reverb and neither has tube rectifiers which, to me, is the secret sauce of their vintage counterparts.

My first amp as a 13 year old kid was a '66 Vibro Champ and then a '67 Pro (15" speaker w/no reverb or vibrato). Man, how I loved those amps.
    From the article
    Things to write home about include modified Pro Reverb circuitry, genuine Fender tube-driven reverb and grid bias tremolo, reduced negative feedback for more touch sensitivity, and a new single-channel format.

I guess you could claim a digital reverb is tube driven for marketing

User Info Menu

Forgot to add, on the gearpage a person working at fender said some more amps were coming, so i'm not giving up yet on that tone master princeton reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Well that was fast, thanks. It's not sipping until May. And someone is going to buy it and sell it by July
    Yeah, I'm usually that sucker

But you might be out of luck because I already have a '57 Champ.

User Info Menu

'68 pro reverb has 5 pre amp tubes...that's a real tube driven spring reverb in there!

vibro-champ has 2! hence the dsp hall? verb

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-14-2021 at 07:04 PM. Reason: corr-

User Info Menu

I don't think I would choose the new vibro champ over a silverface one for similar prices.

The dilemma would be, pro reverb vs deluxe reverb. I would miss the tube rectifier more than the tube reverb (from what I see the new pro reverb has neither, it only has preamp and power tubes, I don't know why they market it as having tube reverb.. ).

But if you really want a 1x12 (so no vibrolux), and really need the headroom (and many times you do), pro reverb makes a punch!

User Info Menu

pro reverb, not super

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    pro reverb, not super
    Right you are. Fixed. The truth is that pretty much all of my interest is in the Champ. At least on paper, I really like that configuration. On the other hand I pretty much have that covered with my Milkman head and my little GBD 1x10 cab, so who knows?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Right you are. Fixed. The truth is that pretty much all of my interest is in the Champ. At least on paper, I really like that configuration. On the other hand I pretty much have that covered with my Milkman head and my little GBD 1x10 cab, so who knows?
    I'm looking for a reasonably priced, hand-wired princeton myself...

User Info Menu

i once tried out a Victoria made champ clone with the 12” speaker ....
    It was fabulous ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I'm looking for a reasonably priced, hand-wired princeton myself...
    Wonderful amps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    ...and the Pro Reverb will be $1819 CDN.
    https://www.long-mcquade.com/219395/...verb--120V.htm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    ...and the Pro Reverb will be $1819 CDN.
    Fender 68 Custom Pro Reverb, 120V
    Whaaaat!
    Looks like Fender increased their prices. Deluxe Reverb is now 1680 CAD. They were 1250 CAD in the same store only two years ago.
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb

User Info Menu

Whaaaat!
    Looks like Fender increased their prices. Deluxe Reverb is now 1680 CAD. They were 1250 CAD in the same store only two years ago.
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb
    Given the increase in the value of the Canadian dollar, that's like a double increase.

User Info Menu

I don’t see any indication the Pro Reverb uses a digital module. It has five preamp tubes, which is correct for a single-channel AB763 amp. ( the specs list six, the photo shows five) It has 2 12at7s, presumably one for the phase inverter and one for the reverb driver. I suppose they may have cut-and-pasted the description, or the modified circuitry includes a high-gain mode, but one would think they would mention that.

“Grid-bias Tremolo” on a 6L6 amp is a mixed blessing, as the bias setting of the power tubes affects the strength of the tremolo.

Single-channel Fender is my favorite configuration, although I modified the normal channel on a Twin and changed it to a James tone stack with mid-shift - gives it a very different tone - and modded the reverb to work on both channels.

User Info Menu

Whaaaat!
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb
    Yes, these CDN prices seem very high to me.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Wait for the border to open up?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Wait for the border to open up?
    Could be a REALLY long wait.

User Info Menu

With these new models, Fender is hoping to get stimulated I guess when people get their checks (in the US).

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, the Vibro Champ is reported to weight 20 pounds.
    A Princeton reverb 68" custom weights 34 lbs and costs $899.

The speaker in the 68' Priceton amp is sort of rock oriented. Celestion ten 30. $35.
    So a speaker change might be helpful. I went to Weber 10F150, 50 watts (more head room than 25watt) light dope. $103.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    The Pro Reverb weighs 35 lbs.

Danny W.
    Last edited by Wildcat; 01-15-2021 at 11:34 AM.

User Info Menu

With these new models, Fender is hoping to get stimulated I guess when people get their checks (in the US).
    It's good timing for them, for sure, but if they *planned* it that way, I'd say Fender has an "in" with the Biden administration. Undersecretary for G.A.S?

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, there was a 68'
    deluxe reverb custom for sale on this website at $850.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I don't think I would choose the new vibro champ over a silverface one for similar prices.

The dilemma would be, pro reverb vs deluxe reverb. I would miss the tube rectifier more than the tube reverb (from what I see the new pro reverb has neither, it only has preamp and power tubes, I don't know why they market it as having tube reverb.. ).

But if you really want a 1x12 (so no vibrolux), and really need the headroom (and many times you do), pro reverb makes a punch!
    Last edited by Wildcat; 01-15-2021 at 08:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I was a bit surprised to see these, instead of Tone Master takes on smaller Fender icons, including Princeton.

User Info Menu

I wondered the same thing. With the increased sales for Fender maybe they are pulling out the "old" models with a modern take on them for a new demographic to sell to. Im sure there are some 20 year olds saying "Did you see those "new vintage" amps? Yeah it's so wild, tubes and stuff!"

BTW As for "old" I turn 63 on the 20th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    I was a bit surprised to see these, instead of Tone Master takes on smaller Fender icons, including Princeton.

User Info Menu

Yes, maybe I am older than everyone in Fender's marketing department, but when these silver face amps came out, nobody wanted them. They were forced on buyers that could not get used blackface and brown amps.

Maybe this is next....