The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I just recently sold a Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe on Reverb. Stated everything I could in the ad and many pictures. The pickup selector switch needed to be repaired/replaced as it was not "locking" into position. I had that work done st Lark Street music outside of NYC (a very reputable repair shop). When I told the buyer this he was excited as he had already purchased a vintage Epiphone from them in the past. When i got the guitar back from repair everything worked wonderfully. I believe i even offered to send him a video clip. But i assured him all 3 pickups were working great.

He received the guitar today and this is what I got:
    "Got guitar
    Have to say lots very loose
    Wiring
    And neck pickup
    Not coming on

Took luthier
    Needs some repair
    Thought everything working
    How about you pitching in
    350 bucks
    I’m sure to fix wiring
    Get pickup working.
    It will cost more
    It’s tougher than you described
    Regards"

Just sent him a reply stating everything was working great, etc when it left here. Now awaiting response.

Any thoughts? $350 is insane to me to potentially fix a couple loose wires, No?
    Last edited by DMgolf66; 01-25-2021 at 01:34 PM. Reason: updated

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I understand that in Texas "he needed killing'" is a legitimate defense in court.

Is this guy in Texas?

User Info Menu

He's scamming you. The only time this happened to me, I told him send it back. Shipping on you. Full refund ... if it is in exactly the condition it left here. If not, no refund, and I sue. He didn't persist.

User Info Menu

Another reverb issue. Personally if you know the pickups worked I would tell him to box it up and ship it back home. Refund the money and call his bluff.

User Info Menu

His response to mine:

"All the wiring is clunking
    Inside
    The switch works
    Middle and bridge
    But not neck
    The rest I can deal with
    Lark st might not done full job
    Wiring very loose inside
    Just moving guitar
    You hear bunch wires
    I’ll keep it but do what you think is fair
    So it’s works as described. Thanks"

At least hes demanding 350 in this reply!!!

User Info Menu

He got the box at 10:43 this morning and had it to a luthier and back 4 hours later?
    I couldn't do that

User Info Menu

I would not trust him to send the guitar back.

If he ruins you on Reverb (I don't know Reverb or if he can do that, does it matter?)

User Info Menu

I would say something to the effect of "the condition the guitar was in when it left here is not the condition you describe. When I shipped it, all outstanding issues had been repaired by a reputable luthier. All pickups were working, wires were not loose or rattling. I must insist that you send it back; if it is in the same shape as it was when I sent it, I will refund your money in full. If not, I will keep whatever it costs to restore the instrument to its original condition and refund you the balance. If you don't send it back, then it's yours under the original terms of the sale."

This is why I never sell anything that involves shipping, unless it is a pretty much impossible to damage item. I just don't want to deal with this crap. I have several guitars, amps, etc., that I'd like to sell to free up some space in my house, but I'm not going to ship them. I could probably get more money for them on Reverb than I could via my local Craigslist, but the aggravation involved is just not worth it.

User Info Menu

Scammer.

If I sell anything I send a video of it working and playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Scammer
    agree with everyone, call this guys bluff
    too bad you can’t add a little TURD emoticon to his feedback

User Info Menu

If he becomes persistent, request an itemized invoice from the luthier he took it too, with letterhead. If that is provided, call the luthier.

I sent a Fender Jazzmaster across the country. The buyer took to a luthier and said one of the wires had broken solder point. They reattached it. Charged the guy $100 as he sent me the invoice. (California)
    I told the buyer he should submit a claim with the shipper as it was in perfect condition when I shipped it. In the end neither of us submitted feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    I just recently sold a Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe on Reverb. Stated everything I could in the ad and many pictures. The pickup selector switch needed to be repaired/replaced as it was not "locking" into position. I had that work done st Lark Street music outside of NYC (a very reputable repair shop). When I told the buyer this he was excited as he had already purchased a vintage Epiphone from them in the past. When i got the guitar back from repair everything worked wonderfully. I believe i even offered to send him a video clip. But i assured him all 3 pickups were working great.

He received the guitar today and this is what I got:
    "Got guitar
    Have to say lots very loose
    Wiring
    And neck pickup
    Not coming on

Took luthier
    Needs some repair
    Thought everything working
    How about you pitching in
    350 bucks
    I’m sure to fix wiring
    Get pickup working.
    It will cost more
    It’s tougher than you described
    Regards"

Just sent him a reply stating everything was working great, etc when it left here. Now awaiting response.

Any thoughts? $350 is insane to me to potentially fix a couple loose wires, No?

User Info Menu

I'm sorry to hear that you are having to deal with this. I agree with Wildcat about requesting an itemized invoice from his luthier. And, ask for his luthiers contact information. When I was dealing with the buyer of my Eastman Pagelli he couldn't get the action high enough and he did take it to his luthier the day after he opened the shipping box and case. The buyer provided me with his luthiers phone number and I did speak with him on the phone. They buyer also provided me with a photo of the luthiers business card and he was legitimate and well known. So I felt comfortable knowing that the buyer was experiencing a real issue with the guitar. I would try to do the same with your buyer to see if this is a legitimate issue. If he balks at doing that, then you should engage Reverb.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the answers, everyone. So grateful to have a source for these type of things where its sometimes hard to step back and look at it objectively.

A few things:

* I'm gonna ask him if the box had any signs of abuse.

* I shipped using Reverbs "print label" UPS and since the price of the guitar was $2,500 it automatically requires paying for their insurance. Has anyone dealt with the insurance through Reverb?

* I thought of and was definitely going to ask what Luthier he was going to and for their contact info. I don't think thats overstepping.

* The buyer has a "5-Star rating" on Reverb with over 40 transactions, SO i'm a little hesitant to jump to the conclusion hes a "scammer". But his initial suggestion of throwing $350 towards this repair put me on my heels.

User Info Menu

Fyi, just a quick update:

Turns out because of the value of the guitar, I had purchased Reverb's "Safe SHipping" insurance policy. Mercifully, I didn't need to get into a battle with the buyer and was able to hand it off to Reverb. They were actually very good about it and pretty responsive. The buyer ended up getting them to pay $330 to him for the repairs, a price which I believe is more than double what it should've cost. Haven't heard from the buyer at all since Reverb took over, which is annoying because I went through pretty great lengths to keep him informed and work with him, etc.

Anyway, lesson learned.

User Info Menu

Good it’s resolved. It can be frustrating when we have certain standards in doing a transaction and others don’t. Especially in the case of a remote transaction.