The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18
    So I made a deal with someone on another forum on a set of tv Jones t armonds. I’ve wanted a set for a while , actually I’ve always been a single coil guy and tbh hum buckets just don’t cut it . And for $200 cad off the retail price still in the tv Jones’s boxes . Only thing is I have to wait till the end of the till I have this banking stuff finished up. The joy of moving to a new location.and my guild will sound like a guild should Incoming new pickups day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

tv jones is one of the best pickup makers out there..esp with the gretschy filtertrons and dynas...can't go wrong

keep us posted

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    tv jones is one of the best pickup makers out there..esp with the gretschy filtertrons and dynas...can't go wrong

keep us posted

cheers
    Thanks and will do . And from my understanding they haven’t been used, but will it ever be a long month. I also can’t see how you can go wrong with a dynasonic pickup in a guild lol

User Info Menu

Post clips.

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    Post clips.
    Will do

User Info Menu

TVJ T-Armonds are like fat tele pickups. They can still be bright, but they are also warm. More lows, more low mids. The trebles (plain strings) are fatter. Less "thud" on the wound strings (like a PAF or P90 would give you), and more twang. I know of where I speak- I've been playing my #1, a tele, for 26 years now. And I have another tele I have had T-Armonds in - twice. (I just re-installed them, then un-installed them again, but that's another story)

The consensus is the T-Armonds sit somewhere between tele pickups and P90s. I agree with that, having owned and played them for awhile now.

I think they would be great in a hollowbody guitar, their clear-yet-fat personality should be good for that. I have considered putting mine in my 6120 Gretsch. The tone control might still need to be rolled down a little, depending on the wiring in the guitar. The T-Armonds are bright enough I prefer them with 250K pots (not 500K as recommended, but that recommendation is also for Gretsch guitars, a very bright, cutting tone). It'll also depend on HOW MANY pots there are, as that changes the capacitance loading (and high end loss).

They are great pcikups- just close enough to tele pickups that I feel I didn't need another tele-sounding tele around, that's why I took them back out. I have never experienced them in a full hollowbody yet, but I'd like to. Problem is, to put them in my 6120, would require surgery- my T-Armonds are the original mount, with the screws thru the bobbin... not on the sides. My 6120 has no wood for that, so I would have to install braces to screw the pickups into. TV Jones has a version with "humbucker ears" on it that is made for guitars like mine, but he will NOT sell those "ears"/adaptors separately, unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    TVJ T-Armonds are like fat tele pickups. They can still be bright, but they are also warm. More lows, more low mids. The trebles (plain strings) are fatter. Less "thud" on the wound strings (like a PAF or P90 would give you), and more twang. I know of where I speak- I've been playing my #1, a tele, for 26 years now. And I have another tele I have had T-Armonds in - twice. (I just re-installed them, then un-installed them again, but that's another story)

The consensus is the T-Armonds sit somewhere between tele pickups and P90s. I agree with that, having owned and played them for awhile now.

I think they would be great in a hollowbody guitar, their clear-yet-fat personality should be good for that. I have considered putting mine in my 6120 Gretsch. The tone control might still need to be rolled down a little, depending on the wiring in the guitar. The T-Armonds are bright enough I prefer them with 250K pots (not 500K as recommended, but that recommendation is also for Gretsch guitars, a very bright, cutting tone). It'll also depend on HOW MANY pots there are, as that changes the capacitance loading (and high end loss).

They are great pcikups- just close enough to tele pickups that I feel I didn't need another tele-sounding tele around, that's why I took them back out. I have never experienced them in a full hollowbody yet, but I'd like to. Problem is, to put them in my 6120, would require surgery- my T-Armonds are the original mount, with the screws thru the bobbin... not on the sides. My 6120 has no wood for that, so I would have to install braces to screw the pickups into. TV Jones has a version with "humbucker ears" on it that is made for guitars like mine, but he will NOT sell those "ears"/adaptors separately, unfortunately...
    I’m actually a really big telecaster fan . And my guitar has a Centre block. I’m almost positive I will need to mod something but I’m fine with that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty
    I’m actually a really big telecaster fan . And my guitar has a Centre block. I’m almost positive I will need to mod something but I’m fine with that

Hmm... not sure.... no idea what your pickup cavities look like... be sure to have some foam for underneath, that's how you can adjust their heights... no springs like on a Fender or PAF pickup.

Hmm... not sure.... no idea what your pickup cavities look like... be sure to have some foam for underneath, that's how you can adjust their heights... no springs like on a Fender or PAF pickup.
    Oh ok . Good to know

User Info Menu

dyna spacer/shim

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    dyna spacer/shim

cheers
    These ones are in the filtertron size

User Info Menu

These ones are in the filtertron size

Yeah I assumed you meant these (altho IDK if yours has the ears... mine do not, they are for solid bodies like Cabronitas, the screws go thru the center)

Incoming new pickups day-jpg

Incoming new pickups day-b-jpg

Yeah I assumed you meant these (altho IDK if yours has the ears... mine do not, they are for solid bodies like Cabronitas, the screws go thru the center)

Incoming new pickups day-jpg

Incoming new pickups day-b-jpg
    The second picture

User Info Menu

The second picture

What's the guitar they are going in?

What's the guitar they are going in?
    A Guild starfire v . The stock pickups are horrible. I’ll probably get the quick connect soldered to the tv Jones

Incoming new pickups day-f67641b9-9eab-4a9c-90ec-ba3a40150636-jpg
    Incoming new pickups day-049e310b-41ad-491e-a437-84d394e8fd0b-jpegIncoming new pickups day-19708a5a-dac5-4fbb-a54e-43c14bd78de8-jpegIncoming new pickups day-1ec7af79-cda1-4edf-9a85-8124bce3d652-jpeg
    yeah I’m pretty stoked

User Info Menu

Those very pickups have been redirected to this suitably light, pine body. Yet another green guitar for me. Pix to come once it's fully assembled:
    Attached Images Attached Images Incoming new pickups day-s-l1600-5-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Those very pickups have been redirected to this suitably light, pine body. Yet another green guitar for me. Pix to come once it's fully assembled:
    Lol yup . He said he had another buyer it was hard to convince him to let them go to the one with cash on hand . I don’t like making people wait if there is another buyer. But ended figuring they most likely wouldn’t work or at least the bridge pickups. So I let them go and ended up with a new set of tv classics .