The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11
    Hi all,
    First off, really enjoying being part of this group!
    Second: I'm (still) shopping for a semi-hollow. I like the Ibanez AS93 Expressionist line, but I'm reading (and hearing) good things about the Epiphone Riviera P93; particularly the p-90s, and slim-taper neck. But I've also read (and heard) good things about Ibanez Super 58s. Any experience/thoughts about these two guitars? Many thanks!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have an Ibanez AG95QA with the P58, and I absolutely LOVE IT. I've been a Gibbie fan for years (ES-225, ES-335) and never thought I'd part from the Gibson/Fender brands, but I came across the Ibbie, read about it, loved the looks (the price was nice, too!) and decided to add it. Wow!

It's now sitting about eight feet from me as I type. I love the feel of it when I play: the action is low and smooth, and the sound it makes is pure heaven! My Gibsons have been sitting in their cases, jealous, ever since!

I have an Epiphone bass, which is a beauty, but I'm not fond of the way it plays, and the workmanship is suspect (loose connection, mostly). The new Inspired by Gibson line looks pretty nice, but I've only looked at their electrics.

Attached Images Attached Images Making a decision on a semi-hollow -- Advice? Epiphone vs Ibanez-ibanez_aq95ga-m-jpg 

That is a beauty! Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the jungle of conflicting advice! Two quite different guitars you're looking at. I have had several and still own a few Ibanez and Epiphone guitars, albeit not these particular models. Ibanez exudes quality, and I have only good things to say about the Super 58s. Ebony fretboard is rare in this price category. Epi quality has gone up quite a bit, and the Riviera bends to many music styles I'm sure. If you're primarily into jazz, I'd recommend the Ibby. There's probably so few Riviera players here that swarm intelligence can't decide for you.

User Info Menu

It's a potato/potata situation that ultimately comes down to taste .. and by that I mean your taste.

Personally I like the Ibanez guitars better .. not due to quality concerns, but simply cause I like their necks better

Thanks!!

Thanks!

User Info Menu

My Ibanez AF200 keeps my L5 in its case. Quality, playability, comfort all have the L5 beat.
    Says a lot!
    But... ya need to play what inspires you, not the rest of the forum)))

For sure!!!
    But, during these COVID times, when going from shop to shop to try out guitars is next to impossible, I really value everyone's opinion here!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Just Fred
    I have an Ibanez AG95QA with the P58, and I absolutely LOVE IT. I've been a Gibbie fan for years (ES-225, ES-335) and never thought I'd part from the Gibson/Fender brands, but I came across the Ibbie, read about it, loved the looks (the price was nice, too!) and decided to add it. Wow!

It's now sitting about eight feet from me as I type. I love the feel of it when I play: the action is low and smooth, and the sound it makes is pure heaven! My Gibsons have been sitting in their cases, jealous, ever since!

I have an Epiphone bass, which is a beauty, but I'm not fond of the way it plays, and the workmanship is suspect (loose connection, mostly). The new Inspired by Gibson line looks pretty nice, but I've only looked at their electrics.

Had one just like this and regret that I ever let it go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Just Fred

And you play the guitar with this tape still under the bridge?