The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hello
    need a help from an expert tech who know how to put hands on a polytone amp.
    The amp is great, plays as it should.
    There are 3-4 high notes (first treble string, 11th.12th.13th.15th frets) which are kind of dirt, like have a distorted tail not clean attack as the other notes I play.
    Just a few notes.
    speaker is ok, no crossover..
    Anybody has this problem with baby taurus? If you have a baby t can you check for me if all the notes plays well?
    The problem comes when you push up to 3volume.
    MIDDLE 3 BASS 6 TREBLE 7
    VOLUME 3 . high input channel, gain +.
    thanks in advance

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

maybe record a clip

User Info Menu

Are you certain it's the amp, and not the guitar?

User Info Menu

It could be cabinet vibration, speaker voice coil rub, speaker bolts slightly loose, possibly a vibrating wire or loose bolt ( and the guitar, as stated. Guitar vibrations are picked up by the amp and amplified..). Also, some Eminence OEM 8" speakers will do this even when in good condition.

Noises like this are very annoying, and I have had amps that are plagued with them. But a systematic search will eventually find it, if you keep an open mind to any possibility

User Info Menu

My Baby tarus at times can give weird sound that possibly are describing. It does not seem to do with when I run it through the Raezor's Edge twin 8's as the extension speaker.

I am going to tell you the truth..........give up on Polytone they had their day in the past and now it is long gone. Many more options that basically to me make Polytones worthless these days.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    My Baby tarus at times can give weird sound that possibly are describing. It does not seem to do with when I run it through the Raezor's Edge twin 8's as the extension speaker.

I am going to tell you the truth..........give up on Polytone they had their day in the past and now it is long gone. Many more options that basically to me make Polytones worthless these days.

I disagree.
    Polytone amps has lost their reputation since tommy gumina’s death. They’re great amp, kind of homemade manufacture. I’ve tried others 8” speaker, henriksen, dv, etc no one plays like polytone. Modern replacements are cold, flat, no dynamics, an even expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Are you certain it's the amp, and not the guitar?
    sure

User Info Menu

My Baby Taurus had some buzzes and rattles in it, also. I went through it and snugged down bolts and screws, looked for wires vibrating against metal, etc. That cleared up most of it. Interestingly enough, however, if I tightened down the screws holding the cabinet together too much then the amp really lost a lot of resonance and character- it sounded choked up.

Also, from personal experience, look for something else in the room vibrating at those frequencies. I have had glass tchotzkas , for example, that would vibrate on a table or shelf and make noise at a certain frequency. Drove me nuts until I figured it out. Also, I have other guitars out in the room and sometimes the strings on those will vibrate sympathetically at certain frequencies. Especially if there is a pick in the strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    My Baby Taurus had some buzzes and rattles in it, also. I went through it and snugged down bolts and screws, looked for wires vibrating against metal, etc. That cleared up most of it. Interestingly enough, however, if I tightened down the screws holding the cabinet together too much then the amp really lost a lot of resonance and character- it sounded choked up.

Also, from personal experience, look for something else in the room vibrating at those frequencies. I have had glass tchotzkas , for example, that would vibrate on a table or shelf and make noise at a certain frequency. Drove me nuts until I figured it out. Also, I have other guitars out in the room and sometimes the strings on those will vibrate sympathetically at certain frequencies. Especially if there is a pick in the strings.
    maybe there is a mouse inside the cabinet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopdream63
    maybe there is a mouse inside the cabinet
    then I should sell it to Marty Grass to go along with his guitar!