The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 129

User Info Menu

He‘s using the bridge pkup mostly, even on his Duojet.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So interesting to see (hear!) the influence of this guitar to his playing!

User Info Menu

Looking for affordable options similar to the Collings / Duo Jet. This looks really cool although the are no videos on it. Anyone ever try this Godin?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...d-havana-burst

Well, it's got the Dynas and the Bigsby. It's fully hollow- so it will sound different than the chambered Collings. Godin does make good guitars tho.

For another $1K (still less than half of the Collings), a Gretsch VS Jet would likely get you alot closer than the Godin will.

User Info Menu

I think I read that Julian’s is full hollow, but obviously thinline and with a small body, which of course will affect the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by xavierbarcelo
    I think I read that Julian’s is full hollow, but obviously thinline and with a small body, which of course will affect the sound.

It is full hollow...kind of.... it has a huge center brace. It's kind of like a hollow-out center block 355... this is a picture of Gretsch trestle bracing. Gretsch uses 2 braces, on either side of the pickups and bridge. It seems, from their own description, they are using a single, wide, brace, directly under the pickups/bridge.

Julian Lage's new Collings (Gretsch Duo Jet copy)-jpg

User Info Menu

A little like a Musima Record (in fact, the Record 15 would be a good candidate for a budget version of the Collings. All solid, full hollow, thinline with a brace in the middle. Main difference is that the neck is bolt on. And of course that the Collings attention to detail is amazing, but then you’d have quite a big chunk of money for a luthier to take care of the rough edges).

The one in the photo is not mine. I have a 17.

User Info Menu

He (ruger9) doesn't seem to accept that the Collings is a full hollowbody and not a Duojet-copy...anyway
    A Guild M-75 is close constructionwise except trestle bracing and Bigsby. The Franz pkups are similar raw pickups.

User Info Menu

According to ah E-mail that has been circulating on forums, allegedly from Collings themselves, “The 470 JL is a hollowbody guitar with a single 4" wide trestle "block", or more of a single brace, if you prefer, that has one single "foot" that makes contact with the back. It is not chambered."

Edit: now I see it’s ruger9 himself who shared the email. So there you go!

Sent from my iPad using [Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

According to ah E-mail that has been circulating on forums, allegedly from Collings themselves, “The 470 JL is a hollowbody guitar with a single 4" wide trestle "block", or more of a single brace, if you prefer, that has one single "foot" that makes contact with the back. It is not chambered."

Edit: now I see it’s ruger9 himself who shared the email. So there you go!

Sent from my iPad using [Tapatalk Pro
    Sorry, it was my Email but who cares

User Info Menu

Gosh! The web is so small! Anyway, very true, a Guild M-75 aristocrat ticks all the boxes. And the price is not completely outrageous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    He (ruger9) doesn't seem to accept that the Collings is a full hollowbody and not a Duojet-copy...anyway
    A Guild M-75 is close constructionwise except trestle bracing and Bigsby. The Franz pkups are similar raw pickups.
    Yes, YOUR email SHOWS it's "fully hollow with a 4" wide trestle brace". You can make the semantics call for yourself whether YOU consider that fully hollow or not. To me, it's a hybrid. And I own a trestle-braced Gretsch, I know the differences in Gretsches with simple tone posts and the ones with trestle bracing.

As far as I'm concerned, it goes like this:
    Solid body
    Chambered body (Gretsch Jets)
    Center blocks (ES-335s for example)
    this new hybrid Collings 4" trestle brace
    Gretsch trestle braces (this is somewhere in-between "tone post" and "center block")
    Fully hollow with tone posts (under the bridge, to secure a stud bridge to, like the Gibson Johnny A, also various hollow Gretsches)
    Fully hollow, PERIOD, like most "jazz boxes"

You seem to be the one who "can't accept" what the Collings is: it's NOT "fully hollow (and that's all)", it's "fully hollow with a 4" wide trestle brace"... exactly as Collings told you. I prefer to take Collings at their word, you can reject reality and substitute your own all you want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Yes, YOUR email SHOWS it's "fully hollow with a 4" wide trestle brace". You can make the semantics call for yourself whether YOU consider that fully hollow or not. To me, it's a hybrid. And I own a trestle-braced Gretsch, I know the differences in Gretsches with simple tone posts and the ones with trestle bracing.

As far as I'm concerned, it goes like this:
    Solid body
    Chambered body (Gretsch Jets)
    Center blocks (ES-335s for example)
    this new hybrid Collings 4" trestle brace
    Gretsch trestle braces (this is somewhere in-between "tone post" and "center block")
    Fully hollow with tone posts (under the bridge, to secure a stud bridge to, like the Gibson Johnny A, also various hollow Gretsches)
    Fully hollow, PERIOD, like most "jazz boxes"

You seem to be the one who "can't accept" what the Collings is: it's NOT "fully hollow (and that's all)", it's "fully hollow with a 4" wide trestle brace"... exactly as Collings told you. I prefer to take Collings at their word, you can reject reality and substitute your own all you want.
    Ignore me, ok?
    This discussion is completely obsolete.

User Info Menu

Gosh! The web is so small! Anyway, very true, a Guild M-75 aristocrat ticks all the boxes. And the price is not completely outrageous.

Julian Lage's new Collings (Gretsch Duo Jet copy)-7247625f-6cc1-4f5f-b6d8-974ffac098c0-jpg
    ...and the Franz pkups with their strong magnets sound a lot more Dyna rather than P90.
    The Bigs on the Collings adds for sure more silk to the mids (I guess Julian don‘t use it), it‘s just a part of the tonal AND esthetic design.

User Info Menu

I saw your thread when you bought it. It seems to be a wonderful guitar and one to seriously consider. I know I would if I was looking for this type of guitar and I had the dough.

Ignore me, ok?
    You first!

User Info Menu

You first!

You’ve said that many times in your life, don‘t you?

User Info Menu

I have a feeling that Julian wanted the bigsby because he wants to learn how to use one. He is so creative that I know he will find some way to impress us all with it.

Quote Originally Posted by S F
    I have a feeling that Julian wanted the bigsby because he wants to learn how to use one. He is so creative that I know he will find some way to impress us all with it.
    That would be cool! Personally, I think it was included because, despite some people deny deny denying it, this new Collings model IS a re-design of a Gretsch Jet, Julian has been playing a '53 Jet for awhile now... I'm quite sure this was the "launch point" for the new Collings.... and anyone buying a Jet-type guitar is going to expect a Bigsby. Just my $0.02. I'm sure Julian would make great use of it, and I hope he does!

User Info Menu

That would be cool! Personally, I think it was included because, despite some people deny deny denying it, this new Collings model IS a re-design of a Gretsch Jet...!
    Julian Lage's new Collings (Gretsch Duo Jet copy)-64a92076-ab8d-4f50-ac7f-10cc3e9c5be3-jpeg

Julian Lage's new Collings (Gretsch Duo Jet copy)-64a92076-ab8d-4f50-ac7f-10cc3e9c5be3-jpeg
    Interesting it seems YOU are the one who cannot take their own advice (to "ignore")...

User Info Menu

Interesting it seems YOU are the one who cannot take their own advice (to "ignore")...
    Julian Lage's new Collings (Gretsch Duo Jet copy)-6e3d7e2f-533a-4022-aaab-aa38c664f32e-png

User Info Menu

Back to topic- interesting they‘re using 500k pots on the (darn expensive) Ellisonics. I thought 250k are common for singlecoils in general?

Back to topic- interesting they‘re using 500k pots on the (darn expensive) Ellisonics. I thought 250k are common for singlecoils in general?
    Well.... yes and no. Dynasonics were traditionally on Gretsch Guitars. And Gretsch Guitars always strived for very bright, jangly, instruments. So 500K pots were normal on their guitars, regardless of whether they had Dynasonic or Filtertron pickups.

Even now TV Jones (the premier Gretsch replacement pickup builder), recommends 500K pots for his T-Armonds (which are his version of the Dynasonic). Personally, I prefer Dynas with 250K pots... and not because of the "single coils get 250K pots rule", but just because Dynas are very bright, and I like things a little warmer. When I had the T-Armonds in my thinline Cabronita, I preferred 250K pots with them.

The whole "250K for single and 500K for humbuckers" thing was really invented for the Fender single coil and the Gibson PAF. In those instances, the rule makes sense. But Gretsch pickups are their own thing: Filtertrons are technically humbuckers, but they are as bright as a Fender single coil (that was their design goal). So when you start talking about Gretsch pickups, all bets are off.

User Info Menu

"250k for single coil" is about as correct as "flatwounds for jazz". p90s, dynas, and charlie christian sound best with 500k to my ears. dearmond fhc sounds best with 1M.