The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 129

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Unfortunately Danocaster recently closed shop, but the tele Julian recorded Nocturne with was long commercially available .. and his Nash tele is still.

I mean it won't say Julian Lage or Fender on the headstock, but buying the exact same guitar he plays is doable

No many builders doing 50s Gretsch reissues, so he went to Collings ... I guess Gretsch themselves didn't see a business case in hiring Julian?
    Wasn‘t Nocturne recorded with his Nachocaster which IS his unnamed signature Telecaster?
    And which model should Gretsch offer for a signature guitar?

Collings was the logical way building a fully hollow electric guitar inspired by Gretsch Duo Jet and Guild Aristocrat) since he‘s already got a Collings Acoustic signature model.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    Wasn‘t Nocturne recorded with his Nachocaster which IS his unnamed signature Telecaster?

Collings was the logical way building a fully hollow electric guitar inspired by Gretsch Duo Jet and Guild Aristocrat) since he‘s already got a Collings Acoustic signature model.
    Huge difference between a Nachocaster and a Nash. Stefan is correct. Julian used his Nachocaster on Nocturne. I've played that guitar. It's fabulous. If you want a Julian Lage "Telecaster" the Nachocaster is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff

I always call that album Nocturne, but it's actually called Arclight. Anyways there are several interviews online, where he says he is playing the Danocaster. This is not the one I remembered, but what a quick google search gave me:
    PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

There are others where he clearly states it's the Danocaster on Arclight.

He was more comfortable on the Dano than the Nash .. and I also remember that he didn't get his 50s blackguard before being (almost?) finished recording Arclight.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...e-twang?page=1

Since then he has given the Danocaster to his girlfriend Margaret Glaspy and plays his blackguard and the Nash .. go figure?

User Info Menu

I always call that album Nocturne, but it's actually called Arclight. Anyways there are several interviews online, where he says he is playing the Danocaster. This is not the one I remembered, but what a quick google search gave me:
    PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

There are others where he clearly states it's the Danocaster on Arclight.

He was more comfortable on the Dano than the Nash .. and I also remember that he didn't get his 50s blackguard before being (almost?) finished recording Arclight.

Julian Lage: Surrender to the Twang | Premier Guitar

Since then he has given the Danocaster to his girlfriend Margaret Glaspy and plays his blackguard and the Nash .. go figure?
    Not a Nash. A Nachocaster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Not a Nash. A Nachocaster.

Ahh right ... My mistake .. He still doesn't like the Nash then .. makes a lot more sense

User Info Menu

Ahh right ... My mistake .. He still doesn't like the Nash then .. makes a lot more sense
    I'm not sure how Julian feels about Nash guitars. I only know he's been playing a couple different Nachocasters the last number of years.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately Danocaster recently closed shop, but the tele Julian recorded Nocturne with was long commercially available .. and his Nash tele is still.
    Danocaster is back building and has been for some time. He's been posting completed instruments for sale on Instgram, which sell within seconds of them going up. He announced on 19 January that his guitars will now be sold exclusively through LA Vintage Guitars and Amelia Island Fine Guitars.

User Info Menu

OK, seems like everyone is reading practically all threads, so I'm not going to start a new one for this .. It also fits here, so there is that too .. I just noted that the 2020 players edition G6128T Duo Jets have started dropping in price. At least the black version has just dropped around €400 since I last looked and I'm starting to get tempted.

But unlike me, it seems like internet hates them. First of all of all they're hating on the tension bar bigsby and pinned bridge, but failing to notice that it is a strings thru bigsby. I like that. I also like that it's a pinned adjustable bridge and I like that it has looking tuners. Finally I like that it has dynasonics and not 'trons.

Unfortunately I can't find much apart from the official Gretsch marketing video already posted ... All I could find was this one fairly low quality random demo from some bloke that I've posted below ... It's a bit of rockabilly, a bit blues noodling and midway the sound cuts .. but hey

I'm just curious if I'm the only one on the internet that thinks these seem cool?

I've never seen a white (vintage white?) one. That's really cool.

But yeah- for ME, I want the wood bridge, not the stud bridge. And the wood bridge automatically means a non-tension bar Bigsby. IMHO, the stud bridge makes a pretty big difference, and makes the Jet sound more solid than chambered. I think the wood bridge (and subsequent neck angle), help to "bring out" the hollow/chambered tone of the Jet.

User Info Menu

I have no quarrel with the player editions. I think they are a better choice for most people, especially first time gretschies. Sort of like a Gretsch with training wheels; once you figure it out, you can go for the more traditional models, or just stick with more player editions.

But for me, I'll take the vintage stylings at least eight times out of ten. I love the weirdness, want the maximum hollowness, and the maximum amount of sonic distance from my other guitars. Were I starting over again with just one or two guitars, I'd probably go with a player edition. I'd certainly consider one for live work and touring.

But since neither of those are an issue, just give me the most specific and unique tone you got. Not leaving well enough alone-r that I am, I'd mod either one anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    Not leaving well enough alone-r that I am, I'd mod either one anyway.
    So you came by a deal on a players edition that you couldn't pass on .. What are you modding?

User Info Menu

I wouldn't know until I had it in my hands, really. Most of the things i to mod on a Gretsch became the players edition line: pickups, wiring, cap values, pots, bridges and tuners, usually. I consider every guitar as is and tweak to my whims.

I tend to prefer stainless steel bridges, so that usually comes first. This has a tone knob so I don't need to play with cap values like I always do. One that's done, I have a better idea of what I'm working with and I can then make a decision on the pups. Never had dynas so I'd be curious about those, but if that doesn't go well, either "better" ones or some of the baby sized filters, which are adorable. Been a supertron guy all these years so I might try something else, but supers would always be a fall back option.

My primary concerns are what the guitar wants and giving it its own voice so it stands out in my collection. I figure these would slot in between my les Paul and mini'd elitist Sheraton, so if the Gretsch is too close to either it has to change or go, unless I super love it as is.

Honestly, these are always a temptation for me because they are always on sale, and I love the pretty colors that aren't available on the vintage models. A more open, more jangly Les Paul wouldn't be so bad to me.

User Info Menu

Honestly, these are always a temptation for me because they are always on sale, and I love the pretty colors that aren't available on the vintage models. A more open, more jangly Les Paul wouldn't be so bad to me.
    Right

Tho I must admit it's more random GAS/collector thing for me coupled with both going insane from the lockdown/work at home but also spending less cash than I'd normally would.

Practically speaking I have a plank with P90s and both a tele and a jazzmaster. Not sure I need that Jet for any sonic reasons, tho the dynasonics seem cool and slightly their own thing

My primary concerns are what the guitar wants and giving it its own voice so it stands out in my collection. I figure these would slot in between my les Paul and mini'd elitist Sheraton, so if the Gretsch is too close to either it has to change or go, unless I super love it as is.

Couldn't agree more about each guitar having it's own voice... and in my collection, I don't want the difference to be "subtle" either.... so, tele, strat, Gretsch 6120, another tele but it's a thinline with PAF-sounding pickups, a Charvel/Jackson....

...and if the VS model came in red sparkle, I'd have bought one already! I don't need another black guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov;[URL="tel:1099960"
    1099960[/URL]]Right

Tho I must admit it's more random GAS/collector thing for me coupled with both going insane from the lockdown/work at home but also spending less cash than I'd normally would.

Practically speaking I have a plank with P90s and both a tele and a jazzmaster. Not sure I need that Jet for any sonic reasons, tho the dynasonics seem cool and slightly their own thing
    I sometimes have a little too much time on my hands to watch demos and peruse reverb and stuff. I keep telling myself I'll get a country gentleman, I'll get a jet, I'll get the 55 falcon and I'll spec out a custom shop, and so on. Hasn't happened yet, but don't let me get stimulated and tax returned at the same time.

And if you really want to find out about dynasonics, the TV Jones star wood pickups are tele shaped dynas. Dynas are what Gibson cloned to make their staple p90s, if that means anything to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Couldn't agree more about each guitar having it's own voice... and in my collection, I don't want the difference to be "subtle" either.... so, tele, strat, Gretsch 6120, another tele but it's a thinline with PAF-sounding pickups, a Charvel/Jackson....

...and if the VS model came in red sparkle, I'd have bought one already! I don't need another black guitar.
    yeah, I've never been a five strats guy or a six spruce and maple archtops kinda guy. If I can't tell what I'm playing in a recording, I won't buy it. I've been able to fight off several guitars, including a regular and custom shop penguin, by plugging into a modeler and trying to nail the tones I'm hearing in demos. That usually shames me in the moment, and all is well until I get bored again.

I already have black guitars but the old jet with the blocks and the script logo is handsome. But I think most of the finishes are pretty neat. I'd be happy with Caddy Green, or most of the newer finishes. I think part of the reason I was owed obsessed with penguins is because they look so awesome; you get a sonic difference from everything else, and a visual one, too.

User Info Menu

I sometimes have a little too much time on my hands to watch demos and peruse reverb and stuff. I keep telling myself I'll get a country gentleman, I'll get a jet, I'll get the 55 falcon and I'll spec out a custom shop, and so on. Hasn't happened yet, but don't let me get stimulated and tax returned at the same time.

And if you really want to find out about dynasonics, the TV Jones star wood pickups are tele shaped dynas. Dynas are what Gibson cloned to make their staple p90s, if that means anything to you.
    I actually took my P90s axe and played along with the the Gretsch dynasonic demo's. A different vibe to my ears. The dynas are thinner and brighter than my P90s.

PS. Yeah, I like my guitars to be different too .. I have two archtops a PM100 and a PM120, but even those two have quite different vibes. Apart from that they're all different. Got the 3 main fender models and a P90s, humbucker and mini-humbucker plank.

That usually shames me in the moment, and all is well until I get bored again.
    haha... you and I are GAS brothers from another mother! I do the same!

User Info Menu

This is kinda interesting .. They've posted yet another promo video of Julian playing. This time it's a well known track of his, so you can compare existing recordings

I choose this one cause there is no band .. Just Julian and his tele (I like the esthetics of the tele better tbh)

User Info Menu

This is kinda interesting .. They've posted yet another promo video of Julian playing. This time it's a well known track of his, so you can compare existing recordings

I choose this one cause there is no band .. Just Julian and his tele (I like the esthetics of the tele better tbh)
    The difference in crunch make this a tough comparison. I prefer the cleaner tone on the tele video personally. I love the looks of the Collings though

User Info Menu

I like both versions. You can hear his development...
    But man, what a powerful pickup, it sounds vintage and modern at the same time.

On the tele he's using the neck pickup. On the Collings he's using the bridge. A bit of an apples vs oranges.

User Info Menu

On the tele he's using the neck pickup. On the Collings he's using the bridge. A bit of an apples vs oranges.
    Well that explains it, never did meet a bridge pickup I liked

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    Well that explains it, never did meet a bridge pickup I liked
    Well, I'm not a straight jazzer, I come from the rock/blues side of things, but I actually LOVE the bridge pickup in that Collings! Not too brittle/bright, just the right amount of crunch, for something different. I wonder if Lage ever used the bridge pickup on his tele? Or his '53 Jet?

User Info Menu

Well, I'm not a straight jazzer, I come from the rock/blues side of things, but I actually LOVE the bridge pickup in that Collings! Not too brittle/bright, just the right amount of crunch, for something different. I wonder if Lage ever used the bridge pickup on his tele? Or his '53 Jet?
    I was surfing youtube videos of Lange a few months back and I saw him play using the Tele's bridge pickup, but I can't recall what video it was.

User Info Menu

Julian often uses the bridge pickup on his Nachocasters.