The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I have an early 65 175D that is pretty unusual and I’ve never seen another completely like it in person. It is an early 65 with the wide 1 11/16 nut and nickel covered humbuckers. Everything but the replacement tuners is 100% original to the guitar.

But here are the unusual parts: it has a factory bound headstock. The nickel tailpiece (which is definitely original to the guitar) is the earlier ‘50s style before the zigzag. The bridge and base for the bridge are the “fancier” type with little inlays on the ends, the type you would see on higher end jazz archtops (obviously the bridge and base could be replaced, but I am sure they are also original to the guitar).

It’s a great guitar and plays and sounds fantastic. Lots of natural wear to the fretboard in particular, but it’s in very nice shape. The sunburst is the most pleasing looking sunburst color I’ve ever seen on a 175, very faded out and much lighter around the edges than I have ever had, and I have had a ton of 175s over the years from the 50s and 60.

I’m wondering if anyone else has had experience or knowledge of any 60s era 175s with similar features (the bound headstock, early style pre-zigzag tailpiece, fancy bridge/base). Thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There was a similar thread a while back that I remembered in the back of my mind .. Managed to dig it up for you

1958 Gibson ES-175 - Bound Headstock?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlienVintage
    I have an early 65 175D that is pretty unusual and I’ve never seen another completely like it in person. It is an early 65 with the wide 1 11/16 nut and nickel covered humbuckers. Everything but the replacement tuners is 100% original to the guitar.

But here are the unusual parts: it has a factory bound headstock. The nickel tailpiece (which is definitely original to the guitar) is the earlier ‘50s style before the zigzag. The bridge and base for the bridge are the “fancier” type with little inlays on the ends, the type you would see on higher end jazz archtops (obviously the bridge and base could be replaced, but I am sure they are also original to the guitar).

It’s a great guitar and plays and sounds fantastic. Lots of natural wear to the fretboard in particular, but it’s in very nice shape. The sunburst is the most pleasing looking sunburst color I’ve ever seen on a 175, very faded out and much lighter around the edges than I have ever had, and I have had a ton of 175s over the years from the 50s and 60.

I’m wondering if anyone else has had experience or knowledge of any 60s era 175s with similar features (the bound headstock, early style pre-zigzag tailpiece, fancy bridge/base). Thanks in advance!

Thanks! My guitar looks a lot like an early 1965 version of Bill Frisell’s 175, but just much prettier and earlier

User Info Menu

You know, Gibson would build pretty much anything you wanted back then. My brother had a custom 335 built for him around ‘67 with multiple binding, bound f-holes, black finish, and a Gretsch-style back pad. It was stolen from him in ‘69(not Gibson’s fault). So a bound peg head 175 isn’t a reach.

User Info Menu

The OP speaks of this rare guitar, and yet he doesn’t bless us with a single photograph? What the?

Thanks everyone for your interest!
    I have no desire to sell the guitar, so I think I’d rather keep the photos to myself at this time. Thank you!

User Info Menu

We don't care whether you want to sell the guitar, we just want to see it.

User Info Menu

If there's no pic, it's not a real thing.

In that previous post referenced above I mentioned wanting to get another 175...I also waxed rhapsodic about Pat Metheny--seems I've forgotten whatever I knew about that since then LOL. Happens a lot at my age.

Back to wanting another 175--mission accomplished!

When you have an itch like the 175 itch, there's only one cure.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 02-02-2021 at 03:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    We don't care whether you want to sell the guitar, we just want to see it.
    Yes, but the camera will steal the soul of his instrument, and if the picture is posted on the internet its soul will be divided into an infinite number of particles and dispersed forever into the ether. Or have you forgotten what happened last time?

John
    Last edited by John A.; 02-02-2021 at 02:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh Yeah .... forgot that

User Info Menu

I can't forget what I never knew. I Never Knew. nudge, nudge