The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 127

User Info Menu

I bought three Dual Rectifier amplifiers in the 1990s when they first came out. Still have them and use them. I got a Tremoverb head & cab , a Blue Angel 4x10 combo and a Maverick 2x12 combo.

The intent was to have every tube and speaker combination I could ever want.

Tremoverb 6L6 or EL34, Tube or SS rectifier
    Blue Angel EL84 or 6V6 or Both
    Maverick 2 channel EL84 Tube or SS rectifier

Rectfier cab = Closed 2 Vintage 30s
    Maverick = Open back 2 Vintage 30s
    Blue Angel = Open back 4 Alnico
    Last edited by icr; 01-07-2021 at 08:21 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    As tube amps fade into the sunset and modelers take over, Gibson buys Mesa/Boogie.

One of the primary reasons for the last bankruptcy was poor investments.

Here in Spain in the muso forums, Mesas sell hardly if at all. I could afford my former dream amp now.

Will I?

No way....

(And that's without considering lockdowns an the no-gigs-situation)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Okay, I'll look for the video clip where they bulldoze ES-175s and L-5s.
    You want to see me cry, don’t you??

User Info Menu

My Boogie just became a Pre-Gibson Boogie.

User Info Menu

"Gibson Brands, Inc."

Tells a lot.

Try to find American-made Levi's jeans.

In other news, the market anxiously awaits
    a line of "Disney Princesses" Fender Stratocasters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    My Boogie just became a Pre-Gibson Boogie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Suddenly, I'm really starting to miss my Studio Calibre .22.
    Maybe I should keep mine a while longer...

User Info Menu

As tube amps fade into the sunset and modelers take over, Gibson buys Mesa/Boogie.

One of the primary reasons for the last bankruptcy was poor investments.
    Tube amps aren't fading and modelers aren't taking over - Mesa amps are selling better than ever. But . . . Gibson has a history of buying successful brands and running them into the ground - Valley Arts, Tobias, Steinberger, Garrison - to name a few. Now, this was under Mad Henry so I hope Mr. Blue Jean Blues does better.
    I have my pre-Gibson Mark V 25 so I'm OK, jack.

User Info Menu

Would be nice if they brought back the tweed amps.

User Info Menu

I better buy a mark 5/25 soon, before the prices get nuts

User Info Menu

Well, good luck to them. A toast!

Perhaps Gibson will be Toast, ?

User Info Menu

If I remember correctly, Gibson bought Philips A/V division in 2014
    Gibson acquires MESA Boogie-philips-1953-2808-jpg
    too bad they didn't reissue the 2808

User Info Menu

Well, good luck to them. A toast!

For the REAL cork-sniffers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    well at least fender did "pretty good" with their own fender amps!!! haha

70 years strong!
    Fender's tube amps, and GB's acoustic & bass SS lines were completely different animals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Tube amps aren't fading and modelers aren't taking over - Mesa amps are selling better than ever. ..

I don't think anybody in this forum has actual insight into new Mesa amp sales over the last few years. And if they do, they are not at liberty to disclose. In any case, we do know that more and more modelers are for sale and presumably being sold. It's counterintuitive to think Mesa sales have not been impacted.

Tech works on the principle of better, faster, cheaper and that will run it's course. Modelers keep getting better. Tube amps with their weight, maintenance requirements, cost, and weight remain static. Mesa will either compete in the modeling market (e.g. Fender Tonemaster) which requires investment and risk or they will fade to the a niche tube amp market. Which makes you wonder if Gibson paid a niche manufacturer price for them.

And of course.. it's all speculation. But over the last few decades predicting that new tech will win out over old tech has been a pretty safe bet.

I just bought a GibsonES-335 a little less than a month ago and the little silver insert that says volume came off already. I noticed it on my floor. I bought some super glue but I smeared a tiny bit and ruined the knob. I have around 4000$ in this instrument. While calling gibson to obtain a replacement I noticed a one pickup white Brian Ray SG with Vibrola bar costs over 4 Thousand dollars. I went to a music store the other day and compared my guitar with a 1969 Gibson340 and the older guitar sounded quite a bit better to everyones ears present so next I guess I will have to buy some better pickups to get the sound quality I want. Well at least the guy working in customer relations once I had to tell what color knob since serial number was not enough told me to have a great day.

It looks like Gordon Gecko bought Gibson because I think their new motto is GREED IS GOOD!!!

User Info Menu

And of course.. it's all speculation. But over the last few decades predicting that new tech will win out over old tech has been a pretty safe bet.
    How has new tech won in the amp world? Genuinely curious

Old tube amps are still in high demand. Over the past few decades old Fender's, Marshall's, and Vox's have increased many fold in value.

The brown Fender Princeton and Princeton Reverb's have almost doubled in value the past 8 years.

All three manufacturers still make new tube amps. Currently, Fender offers more tube amp models on its site than digital.

Mesa doesn't offer any digital amps, afik.

The amount of boutique tube amp builders exploded in the late 90s early 2000s.

On the TGP forum, the "Amps & Cabs" subforum has 3.1m threads. The "Digital Modeling" subforum has 970k threads.

User Info Menu

i'd be more intrigued if gibson bought vinatge47 amps! then we might get an eh-185 repro!

also, there are probably more boutique tube amps being made today than ever before

how many solid state amps will be around in 70 years...like fender tweeds are!??

we just had a thread from someone junking their 2008 fender modeler amp cause the dsp fails...disposable gear...doesn't happen with ptp tube amps!

cheers

User Info Menu

Bigger companies rarely buy a smaller company to make it stronger. Like record companies, when they signed up-and-coming artists then buried them because they might compete with their top acts. Still, Gibson hasn't had its own amp line for a while, you'd think they'd take better care of the ones they do buy! In any event, I think that most of us are having difficulty leaving the 20th century behind...

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=ronjazz;1088781 In any event, I think that most of us are having difficulty leaving the 20th century behind...[/QUOTE]

after 2020...is it any wonder! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

But are they “authentic”?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeyNow
    How has new tech won in the amp world? Genuinely curious

Old tube amps are still in high demand. Over the past few decades old Fender's, Marshall's, and Vox's have increased many fold in value.
    Hmm.. my 1980 Fender Concert hasn't increased many fold in value in the past few decades and I've had it since new. Or were you just referring to amps made in the 60's/70's that old guys buy and over time have even more limited availability? Overall seems a 2000 (or so) model Fender DeLuxe is still in the realm of the used prices we're used to. In any case, Gibson L5's have certainly gone up in value. And now they don't make them any more. I don't think I would buy an archtop company.

And I don't think modelers have taken over yet. Rock guitar players are a conservative bunch. If you want to look at the number of TGP posts, assuming no group bias and that the split represents new gear purchases (it doesn't but we'll skip to the chase), you have to look at the new tube amp purchase threads and inquiries vs modelers as they have changed over the last 5 years or so. Modelers growing faster than tube amps? That's the metric. Not the total number on all topics.

In any case I think modelers in the various forms will continue to trend higher. And tube amps will lose market share. Because modelers keep getting better and cheaper. And that indicates an outcome in any market.
    Last edited by Spook410; 01-08-2021 at 01:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Hmm.. my 1980 Fender Concert hasn't increased many fold in value in the past few decades and I've had it since new. Or were you just referring to amps made in the 60's/70's that old guys buy and over time have even more limited availability? Overall seems a 2000 (or so) model Fender DeLuxe is still in the realm of the used prices we're used to. In any case, Gibson L5's have certainly gone up in value. And now they don't make them any more. I don't think I would buy an archtop company.

And I don't think modelers have taken over yet. Rock guitar players are a conservative bunch. If you want to look at the number of TGP posts, assuming no group bias and that the split represents new gear purchases (it doesn't but we'll skip to the chase), you have to look at the new tube amp purchase threads and inquiries vs modelers as they have changed over the last 5 years or so. Modelers growing faster than tube amps? That's the metric. Not the total number on all topics.

In any case I think modelers in the various forms will continue to trend higher. And tube amps will lose market share. Because modelers keep getting better and cheaper. And that indicates an outcome in any market.
    Fender's from the late 50s-mid 60s (with some exceptions)
    Marshall's from the mid 60s-early 70s
    Vox's from the early to mid 60s

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    we just had a thread from someone junking their 2008 fender modeler amp cause the dsp fails...disposable gear...doesn't happen with ptp tube amps!
    cheers
    Fender modeler amp?

That gotta be a Mustang of sorts, right? ... Those are dirt cheap and offer a wide number of options ... and apparently last for 12 years

The most expensive of those are 400-500 bucks, they're loud enough to gig, will function in a variety of genres and give me 12 years of service .. Am I really to be appalled?

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Fender modeler amp?

That gotta be a Mustang of sorts, right? ... Those are dirt cheap and offer a wide number of options ... and apparently last for 12 years

The most expensive of those are 400-500 bucks, they're loud enough to gig, will function in a variety of genres and give me 12 years of service .. Am I really to be appalled?
    The mustangs poor spot it their speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk