The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

2020 has been hard on so many people, and I was hesitant to post this as I didn't want to come across negatively.

That being said, there appears to be some interest in this model, and I wanted to share mine.

Earlier this year, I added the SSH and a beautiful Craig Bumgarner Busato copy (not pictured) that I spend most of my time on. The JA-15 is the best electric guitar I have ever been fortunate enough to own. I previously had a Benedetto Bambino, that while exceptionally built, didn't have the sound or feel I wanted. The JA-15 is a joy to play and handles anything I can throw at it. It takes distortion very well, which is a lot of fun when I want to go from practicing to messing around on songs from bands like Incubus.

I will add another JA-15 someday, I like it that much. But, I'll go with a Private Stock build with some minor changes to aesthetics and a really nice piece of bearclawed spruce. Otherwise, I think PRS got the formula right on this guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Your first couple of pics are showing up nearly life-size on my ancient imac. That is some seriously nice spruce! I'm a PRS fan from way back. Their quality control is second to none. A fine example of first-rate luthiery you have there. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

This JA-15 has been for sale here since last summer, still no takers. The price is absolutely ok for the european market (around 3,8 G in US $) but I guess too few potential users just don't know about the potential of this model...
    in better times I'd have grabbed it by now... love the figuring in the top, adds character !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    This JA-15 has been for sale here since last summer, still no takers. The price is absolutely ok for the european market (around 3,8 G in US $) but I guess too few potential users just don't know about the potential of this model...
    in better times I'd have grabbed it by now... love the figuring in the top, adds character !
    Where is this one available? I bet that there would be a member here that would love to know!

User Info Menu

It's in Germany , somewhere near Hannover - I can provide details for interested parties.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on a wonderful new guitar.

User Info Menu

What a wonderful guitar. This post might have been the one that pushes me over the edge to seek on out! Congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bww
    What a wonderful guitar. This post might have been the one that pushes me over the edge to seek on out! Congrats!
    It's really a wonderful guitar. I think people have slowly realized over the past couple of years how great this model is, which has both limited availability and increased the price. You're seeing them push back up to MAP, where a year ago, you could have one for $3k USD or less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    2020 has been hard on so many people, and I was hesitant to post this as I didn't want to come across negatively.

That being said, there appears to be some interest in this model, and I wanted to share mine.

Earlier this year, I added the SSH and a beautiful Craig Bumgarner Busato copy (not pictured) that I spend most of my time on. The JA-15 is the best electric guitar I have ever been fortunate enough to own. I previously had a Benedetto Bambino, that while exceptionally built, didn't have the sound or feel I wanted. The JA-15 is a joy to play and handles anything I can throw at it. It takes distortion very well, which is a lot of fun when I want to go from practicing to messing around on songs from bands like Incubus.

I will add another JA-15 someday, I like it that much. But, I'll go with a Private Stock build with some minor changes to aesthetics and a really nice piece of bearclawed spruce. Otherwise, I think PRS got the formula right on this guitar.
    That is a very classy guitar!

User Info Menu

I’ve had the ja15 for a few weeks, great addition to my h535 and peerless Leela!! One nit is that the tuning knobs feel kind of cheap ?? what did these guitars go for new?

User Info Menu

Jsanta, I’m sorry, I’ve been too wrapped up my own stuff. That is a seriously beautiful guitar.
    That’s another guitar that I’ve always wanted to spend some time with. I’ve never actually seen one in person, but your photos make me feel like I have.
    Beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paul s.
    I’ve had the ja15 for a few weeks, great addition to my h535 and peerless Leela!! One nit is that the tuning knobs feel kind of cheap ?? what did these guitars go for new?
    I want to see that these were around $4k new. Interesting observation about the tuning keys. I've been a big fan of the locking tuners from PRS for the past several years and I've never had an issue with them. Glad that you are enjoying yours!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Jsanta, I’m sorry, I’ve been too wrapped up my own stuff. That is a seriously beautiful guitar.
    That’s another guitar that I’ve always wanted to spend some time with. I’ve never actually seen one in person, but your photos make me feel like I have.
    Beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
    Joe D
    I really appreciate the kind words Joe! I have to imagine that you would sound great on just about any guitar you touch. I like the JA-15 because I feel like it covers a lot of ground without really having to compromise on anything. It's warm and woody, with excellent note separation.

FWIW, I hadn't played one either, but I knew that I liked all of the specs, and I wanted an archtop that would be equally comfortable with chord melody as it would be with distortion and power chords. This guitar delivers on that. Hopefully you'll have the opportunity to check one out in the future. It's such a unique guitar, with metal guys like Emil Werstler playing them right along with Paul Jackson Jr.

User Info Menu

Wayy cool, im gassing for one of those JA-15s now..lol...I have a PRS SSH as well and its been my main guitar for everything but jazz, but it can do it!.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paul s.
    $3850 initially. $4185 subsequently. I don't remember when the price bump occurred; it might have been 2014. The production ran from 2010 to 2015.

User Info Menu

Hello there -

I just happened to see your comment on this PRS.... do you have some contact info? I would love to get that one - best Christian Wohlert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian W
    Hello there -

I just happened to see your comment on this PRS.... do you have some contact info? I would love to get that one - best Christian Wohlert
    Are you referring to the one that is/was available in Germany? If so, I'd suggest sending gitman a PM.

Jim

User Info Menu

Hello there -

there is one on Reverb for $4,500

User Info Menu

Super nice guitar!

User Info Menu

Thanks Jim - guess its sold, couldn´t find anything, but thanks for your response.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jim - guess its sold, couldn´t find anything, but thanks for your response.
    Here's the one on Reverb (RARE 2012 Paul Reed Smith PRS JA-15 JA 15 Honeyburst Finish | Reverb)

IMO, it's about $500 overpriced given that a few of us just picked them up for around the $3800-$4k area. I love my JA-15, but after shipping at taxes it makes the one on Reverb close to $5k, which is not something I'd pay for it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    That was what CAD5100 got you: 2010 PRS JA-15 McCarty Burst | www.12fret.com .
    And that's a Private Stock! The used market will regulate at some point, at least that's my hope.

User Info Menu

Hello there -

User Info Menu

Is it me or are the pickups on this guitar a bit hot? Would SD 59s tone it down?