The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Eastman T486-img_0595-jpg

I have been pretty intrigued with the new Eastmans and decided to give one a try while taking advantage of a boxing day sale at Cosmo Music here in Canada. I was also interested in the Romeo and the T64 and despite already owning a Gibson ES 333, l decided on another semi hollow. They are attractive to me because of their versatility particularly when it comes to overdriven sounds. I narrowed my search to Eastman because of the 1 and 3/4 inch nut width. I would have preferred a longer scale but long scale semi hollows are really hard to come by so I thought the extra nut width would help compensate.

The thing came in a box warning against opening it too soon. It was not overly cold when it arrived so I took it right out and gave it a try. It did not even require tuning. The neck has a little more shoulder to it compared to my shallow - necked ES 333. The feel of it is excellent. Compared to the the ES 333 ... I would say that the Gibson feels excellent and the Eastman is excellent 'ter. Just totally even up and down and across the fretboard. Very seductive to play just on the basis of the feel of it.

The sound compared to the ES 333 is ... stronger, a little more lower mid and some more brightness on top. I really like dialing the sound in by keeping the volume rolled off a little. Even with the 10 guage strings it has a perfectly acceptable jazz sound with the volume rolled off some.

It will be a while before I get this out to a rehearsal or gig which is a litmus test for gear in my world, but I'm really digging this thing in the short time that I've had it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sharp looking axe! I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Sharp looking axe! I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks. Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    What k.said!

User Info Menu

That black T486 is a beauty, you’re going to have a lot of pleasure playing her. Back in early June, I ordered a T486 classic from L&M Hamilton, should arrive early January. I almost ordered the black, very appealing to my eye.
    With the wider nut width would you say the neck is fatter or thinner than the ES333?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oldjock
    With the wider nut width would you say the neck is fatter or thinner than the ES333?
    The neck is slightly thicker ( from the top of the fretboard to the back of the neck) and there is a little more shoulder to it.

I hope things go ok with the one you ordered from L&M. I checked with them and was surprised that they had no inventory of this model anywhere in Canada. I was sort of hoping that they might have one to try in store.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmorash
    The neck is slightly thicker ( from the top of the fretboard to the back of the neck) and there is a little more shoulder to it.

I hope things go ok with the one you ordered from L&M. I checked with them and was surprised that they had no inventory of this model anywhere in Canada. I was sort of hoping that they might have one to try in store.
    You are correct, L & M rarely have any Eastmans in stock. Last January, I attended a jam session in Hamilton where one of the guys had a T486 sunburst and allowed me the opportunity to play it. I instantly realized how versatile this guitar was switching between pickups. Knew right away that this would be my next purchase, I think I will name her “Patience “.

User Info Menu

The T-486 is a sleeper for sure, and one that deserves more attention. Congrats!

User Info Menu

enjoy, very pretty guitar

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I love the black - and the feel and response. Seems like a bona fide viable option for a 335 style semi.