The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 183

User Info Menu

I can’t help but notice the sort of moral/virtue ethics dimension there is in this thread to whether or not Mr Beato deserves a signature guitar.

That’s not really how the music business works.

That screen cap of the YouTube comments is pretty funny, and typical lol

If I am going to be charitable, I have had similar comments on my channel and generally, they become rather repetitive and annoying. In fact, I think it’s really hard to understand just how infuriating it can be until you have a video that takes off with wider YT (my subscribers are usually MUCH kinder.) And that’s for videos with tens of thousands of views. For someone with hundreds of thousands or millions of views it must seem endless.

Beato never comes off that well in interactions when he is responding to criticism.

However I think you could make the same accusations about me especially if you looked at the comments sections of my more popular (less unpopular) videos.

(And, sure that’s part of life making a living - in Beatos case I understand a very comfortable living - off an online platform. So take this more as explanation than excuse lol.)

the answer is simply; keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.... best not to respond to critical comments.

Another thing I’ve noticed from even my extremely mediocre YT performance, is the rather weird way people start to look to you as an authority on a subject. When I started my channel I went out of my way not to do this, and yet people online still ask my advice etc. And so my channel has moved more towards tuition. It can go to your head a bit. There’s also an aspect of responsibility here, which most content creators would rather not think about.

And I think Beato has at least in part been so successful because he projects that fatherly sense of authoritativeness and experience to the young.
    Last edited by christianm77; 01-11-2021 at 08:58 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A whole thread on some signature model that no one here is gonna buy? Kudos to Beato for turning younger players on to Niels-Henning, but then he gets @sshole of the year award for publicly berating his son.

User Info Menu

Oh bloody hell I didn’t see the bit about his son. Forget being charitable about this plonker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    (And, sure that’s part of life making a living - in Beatos case I understand a very comfortable living - off an online platform. So take this more as explanation than excuse lol.)
    There is an interview with him on, I think, an online jazz guitar magazine website. If I remember correctly, and I am too lazy to go back and look, I recall Beato saying that he made no money off of YouTube at all- video production cost more than he gets back- and that all of the money he was making came from the sale of his method program. I haven't looked into that program, I don't have any idea what it's about.

Since I've only watched at most a half a dozen of his videos, I have no idea what the gripe is about his son. I saw that there was a video of him showing off his son's perfect pitch skills but I never watched that one. You shouldn't complain about your son on a public forum; that's just shaming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    There is an interview with him on, I think, an online jazz guitar magazine website. If I remember correctly, and I am too lazy to go back and look, I recall Beato saying that he made no money off of YouTube at all- video production cost more than he gets back- and that all of the money he was making came from the sale of his method program. I haven't looked into that program, I don't have any idea what it's about.

Since I've only watched at most a half a dozen of his videos, I have no idea what the gripe is about his son. I saw that there was a video of him showing off his son's perfect pitch skills but I never watched that one. You shouldn't complain about your son on a public forum; that's just shaming.
    Hmm... most of his videos will be demonetised, some will be monetised still and most of his stuff does well. I think you can get useful money (a few hundred - a few thousand even) from monetised videos with millions of hits (it's a few dollars for me), but its not anything like a steady living, and that money could all be reinvested in video production quite easily, cameras etc.

YouTube content creators make most of their money through subscribers to things like Patreon, and this is where people's livings on YT generally come from. I'm not sure if he has something like this? He's not on Patreon AFAIK.

YT is always about the associated income streams, there's little money to made directly.

User Info Menu

Life is short and it's hard to get too bent out of shape about someone you don't know personally...same with actors, sports figures, the list is endless.

My take on people like this is: if they produce something I find enjoyable, I enjoy it. If it's free or cheap, so much the better.

I ignore stuff they do that puts people in a tizzy.

I try to reserve being judgmental for people that really deserve it.

I reserve the right to be inconsistent in the way I approach both public figures and people I know.

User Info Menu

There are currently way too many signature models that resemble modded established models already. But we live in a marketing before actual talent age as well.
    I think the reason for me I find it so amusing as well as sad.Is because in my teens the only Signature models were very few Gibson and Gretsch model guitars.
    And even then it was less than 10 at most.

If a model was endorsed by a well known player it's actual model name wasn't changed as in the Gibson L-5CES or Fender Stratocaster. But there also wasnt the amount of guitars, nor the interest in owning more than 1 or 2 at most back then.
    I do t think Jimi Hendrix nor other rock star luminaries even owned or kept more than say 6 guitars at a time.

Funny how the emphasis was on the music itself back then vs owning the tools that made the music now.

User Info Menu

According to this guy based on monetisation for typical YT channels, Beato is earning between 30-40K per month purely from ad revenue.

HOWEVER - I would not say that the RPM is realistic because as I say, much of his content is demonetised for copyright issues, or shared with copyright holder (where they take the lion's share), as he often complains about on streams.

OTOH is it his only income stream connected to YT? Unlikely. It's not a good idea from a business point of view to rely on ad revenue income from You Tube alone.

User Info Menu

I don’t know much about all this (I find Beato something of a windbag so have hardly watched any of his videos), but isn’t the oboe reputed to be one of the hardest instruments to learn to play? I don’t really see the point of forcing a child to play it, unless they really wanted to and chose the instrument themself.

I remember when I got the bug to learn the guitar as a child, I had to beg my parents for months before they took me seriously and bought me one (they had very little money at the time).

When I saw a one pickup white Gibson SG from the custom shop with Vibrola arm by the way was around 4200$ I got kinda angry, but then again they are not going to be forcing anybody to buy it. I think P.T. Barnum got it right on that one. There is a sucker born every minute!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    But there also wasnt the amount of guitars, nor the interest in owning more than 1 or 2 at most back then.
    I do t think Jimi Hendrix nor other rock star luminaries even owned or kept more than say 6 guitars at a time.

Funny how the emphasis was on the music itself back then vs owning the tools that made the music now.
    I contend that if ALL guitar manufacturing stopped tomorrow there wouldn’t be a shortage of guitars for at least a century. The world is lousy with guitars, especially electrics. And if my reading of the trends of new guitar purchasing is still current, fewer and fewer young people are interested in the instrument every year.

User Info Menu

I need a 'Joe Stalin JazzMaster.'

People will be afraid not to listen & applaud.

About right for our times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    I need a 'Joe Stalin JazzMaster.'

People will be afraid not to listen & applaud.

About right for our times.

Our times? .. Yeah well people forget ... Despite whatever 2020 was ... There was a time when when things where a lot worse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Oh bloody hell I didn’t see the bit about his son. Forget being charitable about this plonker.
    hah.

i stand by my comment from last year:

"i think he is a total bullshitter who uses his kid as a youtube prop for profit."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    "i think he is a total bullshitter who uses his kid as a youtube prop for profit."

Having a son with perfect pitch is all it takes to have a +2 million subscribers Youtube channel?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Our times? .. Yeah well people forget ... Despite whatever 2020 was ... There was a time when when things where a lot worse

Nice but no cigar.

Not Jazzmaster.
    Lobomov to Lubyanka!

User Info Menu

Nice but no cigar.

Not Jazzmaster.
    Lobomov to Lubyanka!

I know ... Not much in terms of soviet looking jazzmasters in this world ... Best I can do are guitar picks

Cheers Rabbit!

User Info Menu

Lobomov,

If, like me, you are a 'Big Fan' of Uncle Joe, and I often ask myself, "What would Joe do?",
    check out historian Stephen Kotkin.

Seems he is THE contemporary biographer of the Fearless Leader (too many years of Rocky & Bullwinkle.)
    I forgive him for his association with the Hoover Institution 'cause he needs their library
    and he's a pal of Zizek, who I enjoy.

I won't be surprised if you are already aware of him.

Now, back to the gulag!

User Info Menu

Lobomov,

If, like me, you are a 'Big Fan' of Uncle Joe, and I often ask myself, "What would Joe do?",
    check out historian Stephen Kotkin.

Seems he is THE contemporary biographer of the Fearless Leader (too many years of Rocky & Bullwinkle.)
    I forgive him for his association with the Hoover Institution 'cause he needs their library
    and he's a pal of Zizek, who I enjoy.

I won't be surprised if you are already aware of him.

Now, back to the gulag!

I'm not really like you ... I'm just a 2nd generation immigrant from eastern europe, so I grew up with stories of the communism (and the holocaust too). My grandfathers older brother died in the gulag for petty reasons.

But cool .. A long time ago I tried reading Montefiore's Young Stalin, but must admit that it was excruciatingly boring, so I couldn't finish it. Might check out Kotkin .. Thx

User Info Menu

I should've mentioned that Kotkin is on youtube.

He looks & sounds like Joe Pesci's brother but he's a very entertaining lecturer.
    I think he's probably a more serious scholar than Montefiore.
    While you are at it don't overlook Rocky & Bullwinkle.

Sorry about your granduncle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I know ... Not much in terms of soviet looking jazzmasters in this world ... Best I can do are guitar picks

Cheers Rabbit!
    Wow, Tankie picks. Now I've seen everything.

User Info Menu

Sorry about your granduncle.
    Don't be .... That was many decades before my time

Anyways .. back to the true horrors of the world .. Rick Beato one late night telling the world that he gets pissed off by Dylan watching his ipad instead of practicing his oboe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    hah.

i stand by my comment from last year:

Yes, you were right. As usual. *sigh*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    I contend that if ALL guitar manufacturing stopped tomorrow there wouldn’t be a shortage of guitars for at least a century. The world is lousy with guitars, especially electrics. And if my reading of the trends of new guitar purchasing is still current, fewer and fewer young people are interested in the instrument every year.
    This is purely anecdotal and I don't have any particular numbers to back me up, but I work at a major music store (over 10 000 square feet!) and recently there's been a wave of young, "hip" guys looking for strats and teles. High-waisted jeans and big sneakers, middle partings and laid-back attitudes, you know? There seems to be a general trend among young people towards hardware and/or nostalgia. Charlie Puth has put out top 10 hits with e.guitar and MKS-20 sounds. Ivan Ave's 2020 rap album "Double Goodbyes" has a heavily chorused guitar on many tracks too.
    I wonder if we have now achieved "perfect" fidelity, and because of that, are moving away from it as a sound goal. Hell, the Hot 100 list in USA is chock full of TR-808's!

Anyway, just wanted to point out that there seems (at least recently) to be an angoing trend of the electric guitar being relevant again, at least from what I've seen. Unfortunately, hollowbodies are underdogs. I bet we sell one hollowbody per 20 strats/superstrats, or something. It also seems like the younger players are buying rather pragmatically, as in, buying one "good" guitar, and leaving it at that.
    I do agree that there is likely one electric guitar or more for every guitarist on the planet.

User Info Menu

Going by the massive gear collections some people seem to have, there is probably an electric guitar for every person on the planet.