The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 183

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Sutherland has a huge collection of guitars. So did Chinery.
    ok...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    We were not talking "influence", we were talking "inspiration (to start playing guitar)". Likes of two mentioned YT personalities are not inspiration. You already play (and have guitar) before you come to them.
    They can influence you in a way that you do not give up, think some goals are achievable and so on.

From little I watched, guitar brand (type, model ) is not really significant for what they have to sell.

My Band camp
    Influence .. inspiration .. neither you or me are native english speakers

Beato has made me reach out for my guitar often enough. So what if it isn't thru his own original content?

If he for example hadn't made that video on Sting then that day I wouldnt have played guitar at all ... etc. .. That is something

User Info Menu

you guys are so out of touch.

let me present a real youtube influencer. 4.3 million subscribers, his most popular guitar video has 18 million views. he does not teach, he does not explain, he has nothing to sell except a t-shirt.
    and yet he has interested more young people in guitar playing than anyone else on youtube. *every* student i have between 13 and 23 knows who he is. and he plays circles around beato too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Influence .. inspiration .. neither you or me are native english speakers

Beato has made me reach out for my guitar often enough. So what if it isn't thru his own original content?

If he for example hadn't made that video on Sting then that day I wouldnt have played guitar at all ... etc. .. That is something...
    I never mentioned content in that sense. It was not and it is not subject of our discusdion.
    Nevertheless, you confirmed my point. You already had a guitar, you were a player long before you've ever heard about him.

My Band camp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    you guys are so out of touch.

let me present a real youtube influencer. 4.3 million subscribers, his most popular guitar video has 18 million views...
    Hey djg,
    you are probably not aware of coincidence, but this is the 2nd time in couple of weeks that you share about the same players I shared, only I did it some time before you. Players that were never before mentioned on this forum. First that Italian girl, now this kid.
    I am glad it happened. It assures me in my opinions. Further, people tend to ignore my contributions here, hopefully they will be willing to take it in consideration coming from You. I think it would be to their benefit.

My Band camp

User Info Menu

I never mentioned content in that sense. It was not and it is not subject of our discusdion.
    Nevertheless, you confirmed my point. You already had a guitar, you were a player long before you've ever heard about him.

My Band camp

You're trying to make my point something it isn't. I don't care what started people down the road of guitar. I care that they play it.

He keeps people interested in guitar .. He keeps them going .. That is an achievement ...

What got me started is my dad had a guitar lying around and knew the chords to House of the rising sun. So with your logic nothing since matters since that is what got me into guitar??

Anyways ... Here is my Beato from back in the day:
    Last edited by Lobomov; 01-08-2021 at 06:12 AM.

User Info Menu

In the early days of Gibson, the company would sell its instruments through mandolin teachers. People would go to the teachers because playing the mandolin was the thing in the first years of the twentieth century, much more popular than the guitar. The teachers would recommend Gibson instruments, and take a percentage of sales.

Rick Beato is the modern mandolin teacher. He has many students, who fervently want to learn and who are probably afflicted with GAS; I am assuming his viewers are mostly men who have returned to guitar in middle-age and have a desire to play well on high-quality instruments. By giving him a signature guitar, one identical to the guitar he has been playing on his programmes, Gibson can be confident that many of these students will want to buy one. The double-cutaway will not be too difficult to make: it is just a variant of the Les Paul shape with space cut away rather than added. It will also fit into a standard Les Paul case, thus avoiding further expense.

A lot of potential buyers will see his guitar, every time they tune in for another analysis of a song from their adolescence. Whether or not he deserves the singular honour is of no importance.

Just by chance you crossed the diamond with the pearl
    You turned it on the world
    That's when you turned the world around
    Did you feel like Jesus?
    Did you realize
    That you were a champion in their eyes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeyNow
    If you're listening to trite music, you're spending time listening to trite music. I don't see how that's sophisticated.

Just because you don't judge something for what it isn't, doesn't mean it isn't what it is.
    I would rather not think of myself as a sophisticated listener. But I hear more in all music at the age of 21.

To take a ‘high culture’ example - There are plenty of people out there who think Beethoven is the greatest without being able to appreciate how strange some of music is; what made the 9th Symphony avant garde at the time (it’s still a wonderfully odd piece of music; if you understand what you are listening to.) I would argue that simply amounts to a stylistic preference; not based on any deeper listening. And that’s fine; I resent people banging on about it as if there’s a scientific formula for what makes good music.

You know, I used to think Clapton was a boring guitar player. I used to think Rachmaninov was a bad composer. And I used to hate hip hop and chart pop. I used to bore my friends with my musical snobbishness. I thought I was enlightened and in fact I was profoundly ignorant.

People have to follow their own paths. What I will say from my own experience is looking for things to find interesting is more fun and better for my music than looking for things to dislike; and I would say that most of the good musicians I know listen to music this way (not all, some have a very high level of interest in just one area.) which doesn’t mean they like everything; but they are much more eclectic in their tastes.

Anyway, I’m not a Beato fan but I have to say the guy can be open minded

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    In the early days of Gibson, the company would sell its instruments through mandolin teachers. People would go to the teachers because playing the mandolin was the thing in the first years of the twentieth century, much more popular than the guitar. The teachers would recommend Gibson instruments, and take a percentage of sales.

Rick Beato is the modern mandolin teacher. He has many students, who fervently want to learn and who are probably afflicted with GAS; I am assuming his viewers are mostly men who have returned to guitar in middle-age and have a desire to play well on high-quality instruments. By giving him a signature guitar, one identical to the guitar he has been playing on his programmes, Gibson can be confident that many of these students will want to buy one. The double-cutaway will not be too difficult to make: it is just a variant of the Les Paul shape with space cut away rather than added. It will also fit into a standard Les Paul case, thus avoiding further expense.

A lot of potential buyers will see his guitar, every time they tune in for another analysis of a song from their adolescence. Whether or not he deserves the singular honour is of no importance.

Just by chance you crossed the diamond with the pearl
    You turned it on the world
    That's when you turned the world around
    Did you feel like Jesus?
    Did you realize
    That you were a champion in their eyes?
    I think there are a large contingent of young Beato fans who see him as music dad. Dads are a big thing in the internet.

User Info Menu

You're trying to make my point something it isn't. I don't care what started people down the road of guitar. I care that they play it.

He keeps people interested in guitar .. He keeps them going .. That is an achievement ...

What got me started is my dad had a guitar lying around and knew the chords to House of the rising sun. So with your logic nothing since matters since that is what got me into guitar?
    Point is ...,
    Where I joined and what I commented on, you claimed that, in context of buying a guitar, this YT person inspires more people to start playing (and buy guitar) than Wes, ... Metheny ...
    I say, that can not be true, because all people that come to that YT channel were already inspired by someone else, someone like Wes, ...., Metheny ... They are there to hear and learn about people they were inspired by. This YT person is exploiting inspiration that came from other players.
    Also, all his visitors already have at least one guitar. IMO, that lessens potential for sale of signature guitar. The signature it self is not something that would drive people to buy it, because signatory is not the one who inspired them to play.
    Yes, if they give it away for cheap, it will sell, but it will be independent of YT person signature.
    Given impression I have about him, he probably has a deal with some charity organization who will buy whole bulk, only to give them away.

User Info Menu

Point is ...,
    Where I joined and what I commented on, you claimed that, in context of buying a guitar, this YT person inspires more people to start playing (and buy guitar) than Wes, ... Metheny ...
    I say, that can not be true, because all people that come to that YT channel were already inspired by someone else, someone like Wes, ...., Metheny ... They are there to hear and learn about people they were inspired by. This YT person is exploiting inspiration that came from other players.
    Also, all his visitors already have at least one guitar. IMO, that lessens potential for sale of signature guitar. The signature it self is not something that would drive people to buy it, because signatory is not the one who inspired them to play.
    Yes, if they give it away for cheap, it will sell, but it will be independent of YT person signature.
    Given impression I have about him, he probably has a deal with some charity organization who will buy whole bulk, only to give them away.
    No one comes to guitar playing these days inspired by Wes or Metheny. Let's just agree on that to start of with.

People come to youtube for inspiration after learning whatever the modern day equivalent of House of the rising sun is.

What I'm saying is that Beato makes them learn more songs by feeding them new inputs and sometimes that will them to Wes or Metheny .. and not only guitar, but also other jazz legends

I say that this is extremely cool. Who else with millions of followers makes vidoes like this?

But let us not kid ourselves .. Wes, Pass and Metheny are no longer common knowledge or shining beacons of inspiration to new guitar players. Jazz and especially on guitar is not mainstream .. yet when someone in the main stream keeps pushing our little niche to millions of viewers ... Some people on this forum react by frowning their brows .. Saying that he shouldn't be praised for this, cause after all it's all about the playing and he ain't no Joe Pass. Simply mind boggling to me???

But as I said .. I think what he does is cool, but if you find him without merit, superfluous and/or irrelevant then that is your opinion and I'm fine with it.

User Info Menu

No one comes to guitar playing these days inspired by Wes or Metheny. Let's just agree on that to start of with.

People come to youtube for inspiration after learning whatever the modern day equivalent of House of the rising sun is.
    Yes we agree on that. IMO, Nobody ever came to guitar playing by Metheny. Wes, I do not know, maybe he could have been the first step for some, back in the day when market offerings were smaller and less diverse.

Also, we should agree and end with, nobody ever came to play guitar by this particular YouTuber.

User Info Menu

Also, we should agree and end with, nobody ever came to play guitar by this particular YouTuber.
    Sure .. and if we are passing out statements for confirmation then here are my statement

He is helping players to keep their interest in continuing playing
    He is helping players to discover jazz and other niche styles

Not all players off course but some .. enough to make a difference.

Btw .. This discussion for me is more of a principled one .. I'm not particularly a huge fan of Beato, tho I follow him and will check a out vid here and there, if it seems interesting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I would rather not think of myself as a sophisticated listener. But I hear more in all music at the age of 21.

To take a ‘high culture’ example - There are plenty of people out there who think Beethoven is the greatest without being able to appreciate how strange some of music is; what made the 9th Symphony avant garde at the time (it’s still a wonderfully odd piece of music; if you understand what you are listening to.) I would argue that simply amounts to a stylistic preference; not based on any deeper listening. And that’s fine; I resent people banging on about it as if there’s a scientific formula for what makes good music.

You know, I used to think Clapton was a boring guitar player. I used to think Rachmaninov was a bad composer. And I used to hate hip hop and chart pop. I used to bore my friends with my musical snobbishness. I thought I was enlightened and in fact I was profoundly ignorant.

People have to follow their own paths. What I will say from my own experience is looking for things to find interesting is more fun and better for my music than looking for things to dislike; and I would say that most of the good musicians I know listen to music this way (not all, some have a very high level of interest in just one area.) which doesn’t mean they like everything; but they are much more eclectic in their tastes.

Anyway, I’m not a Beato fan but I have to say the guy can be open minded
    This IMHO highlights the fundamental shift in how music (records) is made. Time was, players filed into a room with microphones and played scores they had learned or were reading from a stand. The resultant vibrations were partially captured by the primitive equipment of the day and pressed into records to be sold to the buying public at x$ of which the musicians would typically get diddly-squat. FF to century 21 and you have the manipulation of sounds cut-and-pasted into a temporal form that tends to stimulate the listener into dance -like movements or otherwise twitch and bob. These collections of vibrations are then streamed at great cost to the algorithmicaly - selected public at great cost. The few musicians involved, with notable (and bankable) exceptions, get diddly squat. The more things change....

User Info Menu

disclaimer: If you like Rick Beato, you don't have to read my post and my criticism isn't directed at you.

I absolutely abhor Beato. If I wanted completely unsubstantiated opinions from hot-headed, megalomaniacal blues-rock dads with massive egos and a superiority complex, I would just go down to the blues club and ask the patrons there "who or what killed rock?".
    I don't know for what he is owed his enormous celebrity. The only distinction between he and the hordes of boring old white guys with the same regurgitations about the imaginary prelapsarian "Time Before Pro Tools", is that this failed musicologist is given a platform and is treated as academically superior to many equally or more qualified individuals.

What has he contributed to guitar playing? He is not a noted musical creator nor a style-defining guitarist. He is entirely derivative and his playing is just diatonic noodling drowned out by idiotic amounts of reverb and delay, which I will say is actually pretty effective at disguising his touch and time.

Below is an excerpt from a stream:

Now, you might want to excuse familiar frustration, but keep in mind that this is from a live stream to his two million subscribers.
    Can you excuse a man with an enormous following; nearly half of the population in my country, verbally flaggelating his prepubescent child by name, whose face has been shown on the channel multiple times, to his two million fans?

Apropos behaviour, I captured a few snapshots of how he typically reacts to any semblance of mild criticism or even questions from fans:
    rick "cool head rick" beato book - Album on Imgur

There is no reason to take this grown child seriously when there are so many other voices out there. I'm guessing some of his popularity is owed to his status quo approach to dad rock and contemporary music, and their supposed dichotomy...
    If you're wondering why people say "Ok, boomer", take a good look at Rick.

I would call him much worse if I didn't know how important the veneer of civility is to some.

To be clear, I don't think you have to have impeccable technique to warrant a signature guitar - but I do think you need to have a signature.
    I don't think it's wrong to be frustrated with your child, I think it is wrong to drag your named and ID'd child to millions of followers online.
    I don't think you need to have particular academic qualifications to have opinions on music, but I don't think you deserve to be given credibilty and platforms when there are thousands of equally/more qualified people who also aren't a-holes.
    It is not an issue of jealousy; I will happily recommend Aimee Nolte, Adam Neely, the 80/20 drummer, ZackGrooves, and many many others, as fantastic resources on YouTube.
    I am not trying to attack boomers, I am trying to attack a mindset.

Edit: according to the post below mine, Beato has actual academic qualifications. Colour me surprised! I've amended some of my post to reflect this.
    Last edited by mr quick; 01-10-2021 at 05:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch
    I just wonder how many were actually listening to Howard in the 90's?
    I don't know about the 1990s, but in the 1960s and 70s, when I was a kid and in high school, everybody who watched TV or turn on the radio was listening to Howard Roberts. He one of the most heavily recorded guitarists of all time, but among the general public hardly anybody knew who he was. Ditto Tommy Tedesco, Carol Kaye, etc.

As for Beato, I've watched a half dozen or so videos by him. Some I liked, some didn't interest me. C'est la vie. But the guy is obviously very smart, and seems to have earned his stripes. The odds are good he knows as much or more about jazz than most of us here on the forum.

Rick Beato | Discography | Discogs

Rick Beato... is certified to teach grades K-12 and holds a bachelor’s in music from Ithaca College and a master’s in jazz studies from the New England Conservatory of Music. He is presently a member of the Board of Directors at The GLOBE Academy dual-language immersion charter school in Atlanta, GA.

User Info Menu

It's impossible to play a few guitar videos on YouTube and NOT have Rick Beato show up in your recommendations. I watched a video or two and, though he's right in my demographic - white guitar guy in his fifties with a couple of music degrees and no substantial recorded musical contributions - he is not my cup of tea. I don't like this type of smug blowhard Cliff Clavin "explainer" in real life, so I'm not going to waste time watching him when there might be just one more video out there with Ed Bickert modestly creating real beauty. That being said, I don't find it hard to avoid Beato, so live and let live.

A Gibson "Rick Beato" signature model? Like Harley Davidson, a lifestyle/identity brand that happens to sell motorcycles, Gibson is (now) a lifestyle brand that happens to sell guitars. So whatever, Beato gets lots of views and they may sell a lot of those double cuts to bedroom Boomer-rockers re-capturing the youthful rock-and-roll lifestyle they never had. Personally, I would be a bit embarrassed to show up at an actual gig with a Gibson with "Rick Beato" inscribed on it, but not all guitars are marketed at professionals.

That being said, I own three signature guitars - a Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster, a Reverend Pete Anderson hollow-body electric, and a Reverend Pete Anderson Eastsider T (a Tele-style guitar). I don't feel the slightest bit ashamed to bring any of those names on the bandstand. Plus each model features enhancements and innovations to the instrument type that I find significant and useful. It's hard to imagine what special modifications Rick Beato's Gibson would have that would make it a substantial improvement over a standard double cut by Gibson or any number of guitar companies.

But, live and let live, God bless him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    I don't find it hard to avoid Beato, so live and let live.
    I wonder if this might be a big reason why I am so averse. I find it impossible to avoid him, no matter how hard I try. I moved away after finishing my degree so I suppose the "campus" argument isn't as pertinent anymore, but I did find that he was constantly brought up, unless someone was just trying to plagiarize his content, hoping no one would notice.
    Now though, I constantly get customers in who talk about Rick Beato. I saw a Rick Beato video and he said x, so I'm gonna do x, etc.

Additionally, I can't really let live when a person with an enormous following says some outright idiotic shit. Kemper's for amateurs? What a ridiculous claim to make. For his anecdote about professional drummers "hating" quantization and Kempers being an amateur's tool, I have an anecdote about the inverse being true; young, pragmatic musicians who aren't caught up in some ridiculous quasi-religious mythos about tubes containing magic that cause an irreplicable sound characteristic, or quantizing being categorically unmusical...
    His views on teaching are absolutely abysmal, as can be seen in these replies:

I can ignore dogma like those when they are coming from "little" voices, but not from big dogs like Rick whose opinion carries weight simply by virtue of his popularity.
    This guy, unfortunately, is influential. He is wielding this power recklessly.

User Info Menu

Signature guitar aside, I am truly glad to be introduced to Rick Beato as an artist. I was not aware of him before now, but can't wait to dig into some of his videos.

User Info Menu

Haha - “Kemper’s for amateurs? Like these guys?

Kemper Artists Gallery

and all these?

Kemper Hall of Fame

hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by mr quick
    I wonder if this might be a big reason why I am so averse. I find it impossible to avoid him, no matter how hard I try. I moved away after finishing my degree so I suppose the "campus" argument isn't as pertinent anymore, but I did find that he was constantly brought up, unless someone was just trying to plagiarize his content, hoping no one would notice.
    Now though, I constantly get customers in who talk about Rick Beato. I saw a Rick Beato video and he said x, so I'm gonna do x, etc.

Additionally, I can't really let live when a person with an enormous following says some outright idiotic shit. Kemper's for amateurs? What a ridiculous claim to make. For his anecdote about professional drummers "hating" quantization and Kempers being an amateur's tool, I have an anecdote about the inverse being true; young, pragmatic musicians who aren't caught up in some ridiculous quasi-religious mythos about tubes containing magic that cause an irreplicable sound characteristic, or quantizing being categorically unmusical...
    His views on teaching are absolutely abysmal, as can be seen in these replies:

I can ignore dogma like those when they are coming from "little" voices, but not from big dogs like Rick whose opinion carries weight simply by virtue of his popularity.
    This guy, unfortunately, is influential. He is wielding this power recklessly.

User Info Menu

I wonder if this might be a big reason why I am so averse. I find it impossible to avoid him, no matter how hard I try.
    Now you know how I feel about The Beatles.

User Info Menu

Now, you might want to excuse familiar frustration, but keep in mind that this is from a live stream to his two million subscribers.
    Can you excuse a man with an enormous following; nearly half of the population in my country, verbally flaggelating his prepubescent child by name, whose face has been shown on the channel multiple times, to his two million fans?
    It seems to be a private conversation with someone called Michael, which has been broadcast to the hordes inadvertently. Or is it reality television? It has nothing to do with playing guitar.

The Dylan Beato signature oboe will available soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    It seems to be a private conversation with someone called Michael, which has been broadcast to the hordes inadvertently. Or is it reality television? It has nothing to do with playing guitar.

The Dylan Beato signature oboe will available soon.
    No, it is from a public livestream which can be seen in his "Rick Beato Late Night 1-3-18" video/stream starting at 9:17
    Yes, it has nothing to do with playing the guitar, but a lot to do with how someone who is respected and looked up to by many impressionable people should act. It is completely irresponsible. I cannot even imagine how I would feel as a child if I found that my dad, after already punishing me for not wanting to play the Oboe, had dragged me like that online.
    I am blessed to have a father whom I look up to and who got me into playing guitar simply by being my hero.
    We should expect more of influencers.
    I'll stop going on about it though, seeing as how I'm not exactly in consensus.

User Info Menu

No, it is from a public livestream which can be seen in his "Rick Beato Late Night 1-3-18" video/stream ....
    I'll stop going on about it though, seeing as how I'm not exactly in consensus.
    So the boy’s friends can watch it. I have not spent much time watching his videos, for reasons similar to yours.

User Info Menu

Nvm .. Not a musician
    Last edited by Lobomov; 01-11-2021 at 10:54 AM.