Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 183

User Info Menu

Who cares.

But I'm with Tal_175 on this one

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm curious as to the price point of this thing. It's was one of the cheaper offerings back when he bought it ... Everyone knows this, so hopefully they will make it cheap'ish too.

The current LP Specials (single cut tho) are at €1500, which I find a bit much. Slap a Beato name on it and hopefully not Yikes!

User Info Menu

Billy Joe Armstrong? I think he has two Gibson Signature models at least. Come on...

User Info Menu

I've watched a bunch of his videos. He seems to know how to get a lot of the sounds on significant records. Different gear, of course.

Still, it's interesting to me what guitar he'd want to put his name on. One might presume it would be a kind of swiss army knife of guitars.

Of course, it might simply be whatever Gibson was willing to name after him.

Beato has accomplished something difficult and noteworthy. A signature guitar is fine with me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I like him too. His story is interesting. Sort of wayward, but he has written songs that have been recorded, he's produced and engineered records. (His taste in metal is not mine but that's neither here nor there.) He started his channel into a Big Deal. He's disciplined, knowledgeable, curious, enthusiastic and he loves music. He also has a great ear. (I have no experience with this ear-training material but his own ear is great.)
    I think that it is great that he has so many subscribers, me being one. I would venture a guess that a great many are really interested in his stuff unlike subscribers for other social media content providers that have some subscribers that are just there for rubber-necking a train wreck.

User Info Menu

Are people moaning again?

User Info Menu

Probably not the right crowd on this forum, but there are many YouTube famous guitarists that now have signature gear, endorsements, and their own guitar and gear companies. Signature gear exists as a way to market to certain groups of fans, and YouTubers with millions of followers represent revenue opportunities. If I was running any of these guitar companies, you can be sure I'd be pursuing people like Rick Beato. And it also should be noted that the proceeds from the sales of his signature guitars are going to a charity.

Look at guys like Jason Richardson, Ola Englund, Jared Dines...the list goes on. The first two have been in bands, but are really known for their online presence. It sells gear, so brands get onboard. Or in Ola's case, he's influential enough to own a brand. CEOs and business leaders generally don't make the majority of their decisions as a manner of altruism, but as ways to make money. I don't mean that as offense or slight to anyone, but to think otherwise I think is disconnected from reality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Are people moaning again?
    You must be thinking of another website, Christian. ;o)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I think that it is great that he has so many subscribers, me being one. I would venture a guess that a great many are really interested in his stuff unlike subscribers for other social media content providers that have some subscribers that are just there for rubber-necking a train wreck.
    I subscribe too, though I've only watched a small amount of the content he's provided.
    One reason he appeals to me is that he is a songwriter. I am not wild about any of his songs (that I know of) but I appreciate his interest in harmony, progressions, and trying to do things in different ways.
    And his series "What Makes This Song Great?" is probably my favorite thing on his channel.

Here is his video about "Kid Charlemagne".

User Info Menu

What the heck, everyone here loves killer Steely Dan solos, so here's Beato on another bit of Larry Carlton magic, "Don't Take Me Alive."

User Info Menu

Okay, does anyone love his tone on that guitar?

User Info Menu

Will it also shout everything?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to be romantic about Gibson. Based on the signature models I'm familiar with, I was under the impression that Gibson reserved that honor only for the most elite of the recorded artists. That's not because Gibson are tree hugging hippies but because they understand that the core asset of their business is their reputation which is only there because those artists recorded with Gibson guitars in the first place. Turns out there is a whole other world of signature guitars I'd never seen before.

Rick Beato seems like a fine musician and accomplished person in various areas of music production. Nevertheless something about his show rubs me the wrong way so I can't get into it. It's not about his musicianship, it's about how the episodes seem to be fine-tuned for the dynamics between youtube guitar celebrities and their fan base. Authenticity is important for me, but perhaps I should give the channel another shot and see if I'm misjudging it.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 01-05-2021 at 05:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to be romantic about Gibson. Based on the signature models I'm familiar with, I was under the impression that Gibson reserved that honor only for the most elite of the recorded artists. That's not because Gibson are tree hugging hippies but because they understand that the core asset of their business is their reputation which is only there because those artists recorded with Gibson guitars in the first place. Turns out there is a whole other world of signature guitars I'd never seen before.

Rick Beato seems like a fine musician and accomplished person in various areas of music production. Nevertheless something about his show rubs me the wrong way so I can't get into it. It's not about his musicianship, it's about how the episodes seem to be fine-tuned for the dynamics of youtube guitar celebrities and their fan base. Authenticity is important for me, but perhaps I should give the channel another shot and see if I'm misjudging it.
    I think what you have to do is use context. Johnny Smith was not only very popular, but very good. Makes sense he has had numerous signature guitars. Same with a guy like Chet Atkins. Signature guitars that are massed produced were never meant as a reward for elite musicians. They were meant to attach a famous name to an instrument to make sales.

As far as the current crop of YouTubers, there are plenty I just don't like. So I totally get what you're saying in some ways. And I am envious in some ways of their success; that jealousy certainly plays a part in my mind about who deserves what, knowing that deserves means absolutely nothing in a business context.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    Probably not the right crowd on this forum, but there are many YouTube famous guitarists that now have signature gear, endorsements, and their own guitar and gear companies. Signature gear exists as a way to market to certain groups of fans, and YouTubers with millions of followers represent revenue opportunities. If I was running any of these guitar companies, you can be sure I'd be pursuing people like Rick Beato. And it also should be noted that the proceeds from the sales of his signature guitars are going to a charity.

Look at guys like Jason Richardson, Ola Englund, Jared Dines...the list goes on. The first two have been in bands, but are really known for their online presence. It sells gear, so brands get onboard. Or in Ola's case, he's influential enough to own a brand. CEOs and business leaders generally don't make the majority of their decisions as a manner of altruism, but as ways to make money. I don't mean that as offense or slight to anyone, but to think otherwise I think is disconnected from reality.
    Guitar companies want to have their equipment endorsed by people with a large following. It's not really a meritocracy playing wise - it's business.

Although Beato is pretty nifty on guitar actually... most of his playing is on instagram. Fusiony stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Guitar companies want to have their equipment endorsed by people with a large following. It's not really a meritocracy playing wise - it's business.

Although Beato is pretty nifty on guitar actually... most of his playing is on instagram. Fusiony stuff.
    Exactly - meritocracy plays no role in the real world

And yes, I do think Beato is a very good guitarist and a fine musician. Adam Neely is another musician on YouTube that I have learned a lot from.

User Info Menu

Rick Beato seems like a fine musician and accomplished person in various areas of music production. Nevertheless something about his show rubs me the wrong way so I can't get into it. It's not about his musicianship, it's about how the episodes seem to be fine-tuned for the dynamics between youtube guitar celebrities and their fan base. Authenticity is important for me, but perhaps I should give the channel another shot and see if I'm misjudging it.
    As I understand it, their number one endorser for the last couple of decades has been Slash. I'm not sure where he fits in the guitar pantheon but since the early 80's Gibson seems to have bady trailed Fender, Ibanez, and even PRS among the best known rock players while a lot of Jazz players have moved on to other options. Really, who are the dominant Gibson players, rock or jazz, of the 2000's? I guess Derek Trucks but I can't think of a lot of others.

User Info Menu

How many signature Gibson and Epiphone signature models has Joe Bonamossa had? Slash has been called their ambassador, but Joe has had Les Pauls (standards and customs), Flying Vs, Firebirds, at least one ES-335.

User Info Menu

Companies want YouTubers to sell products to followers. YouTubers cry for endorsement deals so they could brag about it. They make deals.
    One way to make a deal is to order your signature model be made by company.

Earnings going to charity. Nice. How many items will sell, what is the deal btw Youtuber and company, how much money will be given away?
    Is charity issue actually a bite, so more items would sell, so Youtuber could then brag about it?

Speaking about number of exalted followers ... It would imply number of views for each clip is at least equal to number of followers. Is it happening? I don't know. I do not follow that channel. Tried to watch, could not stand it.

My Band camp

User Info Menu

Considering someone not a guitar/music legend isn't belittling them or saying they have no achievements in life.
    It's an honor previously given to the legends like Pat Martino, Herb Ellis, Wes Montgomery, Johnny Smith, Les Paul, Barney Kessel and BB King by Gibson in the past. And no I don't think Rick Beato and many other amazing people are in that company.
    Welcome to the 21st century, when "legend" is defined by your popularity on YouTube and other social media. Your status can come and go in a day. It's different now.

That said, Rick Beato has been in the business music for decades. He has been involved in music at the highest level for most of his career. He has great ears, a good understanding of harmony, a knack for communication and inspiration. Plus, that Gibson he often plays sounds great and a signature version of that could be good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Welcome to the 21st century, when "legend" is defined by your popularity on YouTube and other social media. Your status can come and go in a day. It's different now.
    I think this guy was pre-youtube.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Esteban-Acous...966/bn_3130144

User Info Menu

Now here's a Gibson signature guitar that brought a bit of fanboy outrage even on Gibson-focused guitar forums back when it was introduced.

10 Strangest Signature Guitars Ever Made! - Andertons Blog

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Now here's a Gibson signature guitar that brought a bit of fanboy outrage even on Gibson-focused guitar forums back when it was introduced.

10 Strangest Signature Guitars Ever Made! - Andertons Blog

Great list .. I love the Nigel Tufnel Horsepower from Musicman

And we all know that Nigels guitar collection ain't shabby

User Info Menu

Overall there are way too many signature artist models available from all the major brands available. And while we live in the golden age of guitar making. It somehow makes what was once a coveted instrument like Les Paul or an old Tele, a bit shallow.
    I'm glad Gibson isn't offering Archtops with any of the newer players names on them. Mainly because they are so cost prohibitive to begin with.
    But it's also a shame they don't make any L-5CES or similar models any longer.

User Info Menu

Glad to hear the news as I've been a fan of Rick's for years now. He's got good variety on his channel ranging from instructional material to industry news, gear reviews, and entertainment.

He's also turned me on to some rock acts that I wouldn't have heard otherwise.