The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 183

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Might as well post some vids of that guitar then ..

User Info Menu

Of course he gets his signature model. He is such a legend as a guitar player. We all grew up listening to him, transcribing his records.

User Info Menu

Seems appropriate since he's very popular on YouTube. At least he's got a great grasp of harmony!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Of course he gets his signature model. He is such a legend as a guitar player. We all grew up listening to him, transcribing his records.
    There's a Sheryl Crow signature model (acoustic) and a Les Paul, Jr. named for Willie Nelson's son Lukas. You don't have to be a Hendrix, or even a Slash to have a signature model. (I think Slash has several.)

Beato does play that double cutaway Gibson a lot, which probably helps, because, well, who else is playing one?

And there are definitely people growing up NOW who have learned a lot from his channel and are heavily influenced by his teaching and playing.

User Info Menu

He gets a signature model because he has a large and loyal audience and most of them play guitar. Signature guitars are like any other promotional activity: it's purpose is to help sell guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    There's a Sheryl Crow signature model (acoustic) and a Les Paul, Jr. named for Willie Nelson's son Lukas. You don't have to be a Hendrix, or even a Slash to have a signature model. (I think Slash has several.)

Beato does play that double cutaway Gibson a lot, which probably helps, because, well, who else is playing one?

And there are definitely people growing up NOW who have learned a lot from his channel and are heavily influenced by his teaching and playing.
    I get your point but Sheryl Crow does have 9 grammy awards (just checked, I swear I didn't know it by heart).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    He gets a signature model because he has a large and loyal audience and most of them play guitar. Signature guitars are like any other promotional activity: it's purpose is to help sell guitars.
    I always thought it was also a way of honoring a legend who is associated with that brand and offering his/her fans an instrument constructed and set up exactly like the artist had in the recordings and the concert performances. At least most of the time.

User Info Menu

Did they mention that it comes with the Beato Book PDF? No discount code necessary.

Just kidding. I like Rick Beato. He is great at demonstrating what he knows. A+ there. Explaining it, maybe a C+ IMHO.

User Info Menu

The combination of slab-cut mahogany body, mahogany neck, rosewood fb, and P-90 soap bars is going to be a tonal treat. i know what I would prefer for "tweaks," but Mr. Beato seems to know what he's doing. I say more power to him!

User Info Menu

Beato has 2 million people following him and inspires people to play guitar all over the world. 2 million people get inspired by him on a weekly basis. And yes .... They do transcribe him to the effect that they actually try to learn his material. And he has managed to do this for 5 years.

How can you belittle that achievement?
    How can you not be thrilled by the fact that he inspires millions of people to play and get better at music?
    That he on a regular basis introduces old forgotten music to a broader audience ... Like his video on Niels-Henning Ørsted Petersen?
    His war on the use of machines to define rhythm and him again and again playing pre-2000 music with real drummers?
    The fact that he has written and produced music for decades and has written a number 1 hit?

Edit:
    I got a little carried away .. No offense

User Info Menu

I always thought it was also a way of honoring a legend who has been associated with that brand and offering his/her fans an instrument constructed and set up exactly like the artist had in the recordings and the concert performances. At least most of the time.
    And manufacturers are pleased that you think that. It's a perception that works for them. But ultimately companies are in business to make money and they use the tools that are available to them to help that process. Given the changes in the music industry over the last few years they'd be crazy not to use those changes to their advantage. Rick Beato has 2.4 MILLION subscribers to his YouTube channel. His videos get anywhere from 100,000 to 4,000,000 views. Doing a signature guitar for him gives Gibson an opportunity to capture millions of eyeballs. They hope that will help them sell more guitars and that's the business their in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Beato has 2 million people following him and inspires people to play guitar all over the world. 2 million people get inspired by him on a weekly basis. And yes .... They do transcribe him to the effect that they actually try to learn his material. And he has managed to do this for 5 years.

How can you belittle that achievement?
    How can you not be thrilled by the fact that he inspires millions of people to play and get better at music?
    That he on a regular basis introduces old forgotten music to a broader audience ... Like his video on Niels-Henning Ørsted Petersen?
    His war on the use of machines to define rhythm and him again and again playing pre-2000 music with real drummers?
    The fact that he has written and produced music for decades and has written a number 1 hit?
    I think you're spinning my point. Considering someone not a guitar/music legend isn't belittling them or saying they have no achievements in life.
    It's an honor previously given to the legends like Pat Martino, Herb Ellis, Wes Montgomery, Johnny Smith, Les Paul, Barney Kessel and BB King by Gibson in the past. And no I don't think Rick Beato and many other amazing people are in that company.

User Info Menu

I think you're spinning my point. Considering someone not a guitar legend isn't belittling them. Don't put the bar so high.
    It's an honor given to legends like Pat Martino, Herb Ellis, Wes Montgomery, Johnny Smith, Les Paul, Barney Kessel by Gibson in the past.

Yeah .. I saw that this was where you where coming from after I posted. There is just so much old grumpy man on this forum that it's easy to get carried away

But yeah ... In reality they just give those to popular players in order to sell guitars. That the crowd you mention grew to be legends is just a happy coincidence. I assume there is a shit load of non-legendary players that had their own models back then that don't exist anymore .. If nothing else there is the Gibson Trini Lopez.

Sometimes it's just a chance at giving the public an instrument that is something else. I have a Ritchie Kotzen Fender strat. Don't care about the player, but that is one hell of a nice guitar. Chunky d-shaped neck, jumbo frets and a 12" radius. Plays phenomenally
    Last edited by Lobomov; 01-05-2021 at 03:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Exactly.
    As for his double cut LP Special: it's a model Gibson produced about 15 years ago called LP Special worn or something like that. I have one of those myself that was a birthday present back in the day. The body is thinner than an actual LP Special and I wouldn't call the finish a "finish" - it's more like a tinted primer. It's a proper guitar nonetheless.

User Info Menu

I always thought it was also a way of honoring a legend who is associated with that brand and offering his/her fans an instrument constructed and set up exactly like the artist had in the recordings and the concert performances. At least most of the time.
    that has never been the case and will never be the case.

User Info Menu

I think you're spinning my point. Considering someone not a guitar/music legend isn't belittling them or saying they have no achievements in life.
    It's an honor previously given to the legends like Pat Martino, Herb Ellis, Wes Montgomery, Johnny Smith, Les Paul, Barney Kessel and BB King by Gibson in the past. And no I don't think Rick Beato and many other amazing people are in that company.
    In addition to Chuck Berry, Slash and Jimi Hendrix, Gibson's current artist series includes signature models for the following artists: Frank Hannon, Lukas Nelson, Eric Church, Dave Amato, Brian Ray, and Michael Clifford. It's not an award or an honor. It's a way to sell guitars.

Gibson | Artist Collection

User Info Menu

And manufacturers are pleased that you think that. It's a perception that works for them. But ultimately companies are in business to make money and they use the tools that are available to them to help that process. Given the changes in the music industry over the last few years they'd be crazy not to use those changes to their advantage. Rick Beato has 2.4 MILLION subscribers to his YouTube channel. His videos get anywhere from 100,000 to 4,000,000 views. Doing a signature guitar for him gives Gibson an opportunity to capture millions of eyeballs. They hope that will help them sell more guitars and that's the business their in.
    I think it's a balancing act. The biggest asset for companies like Gibson is their reputation. It's a long term asset. There are many short term monetizing opportunities that exist but if taken up might eat away at their reputation in the long term.

Issuing signature models for legends like BB KIng or Pat Martino actually is a win-win because it perpetuates the association of the company with iconic artists and helps them improve their reputation. It's not just for a short term sales boost.

If Gibson chooses to associate it's brand with popular internet guitar personalities, it might also bring a sales boost, but would it have the same effect on their reputation in the long term?
    Last edited by Tal_175; 01-05-2021 at 03:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Kinda like McDonalds, whether it’s good or not doesn’t matter. It sells. Mr. Beato fits today’s model of a prodigious talent perfectly. All our past legends became “legends” through sales of records and personal appearances in addition to prodigious talent.
    But it’s a different world... 2.4MM followers pretty much says it all. Why did Gibson throttle back on archtops? Cause there sure ain’t 2.4MM following any single archtop player.
    But this guy... even if they sell to 5% they’re selling what, around 130,000 guitars. I bet that Gibson hasn’t made that many archtops.
    As to talent we have to accept its definition now is not what we thought it was 50 years ago... the prodigious talent today is a master of you tube. The music is way secondary, sadly.
    so, to me, Mr Beato fits today’s model perfectly.

User Info Menu

In addition to Chuck Berry, Slash and Jimi Hendrix, Gibson's current artist series includes signature models for the following artists: Frank Hannon, Lukas Nelson, Eric Church, Dave Amato, Brian Ray, and Michael Clifford. It's not an award or an honor. It's a way to sell guitars.

Ok I didn't know the bar of signature models were that low. I only knew models other players talk about or you see in stores. Turns out it's more like a sponsorship contract.

User Info Menu

Gibson signature model guitars sell guitars. Isn't that why they are in business?

User Info Menu

Don't forget the Gibson George Gobel signature L5.

User Info Menu

I get your point but Sheryl Crow does have 9 grammy awards (just checked, I swear I didn't know it by heart).
    Not 9 Grammy awards for playing guitar, though...

User Info Menu

Ok I didn't know the bar of signature models were that low. I only knew models other players talk about or you see in stores. Turns out it's more like a sponsorship contract.
    Exactly so. As for sponsoring an internet personality like Beato, I don't think anyone really knows yet what effect that will have. We do know that old paradigms no longer work for viewing any part of the music industry. Everything has changed and no one yet knows where things will settle but until then the current management team at Gibson has the unenviable task of remaking the company in the midst of a complete industry upheaval combined with a global pandemic. Record sales have plummeted. Radio airplay has lost it's role to streaming. There are currently few if any tours and very little recording. The largest instrument retailer in America just went through a bankruptcy reorganization. And foreign competition is constantly improving their quality at lower price points. It's a tough environment to do a corporate reorganization so Gibson is looking for some ways to improve their marketing reach and get more bang for their promotional budget. Under the circumstances I'm willing to give Gibson a pretty big pass for a while on the things they might try to improve the balance sheet.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 01-05-2021 at 07:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Did they mention that it comes with the Beato Book PDF? No discount code necessary.

Just kidding. I like Rick Beato. He is great at demonstrating what he knows. A+ there. Explaining it, maybe a C+ IMHO.
    I like him too. His story is interesting. Sort of wayward, but he has written songs that have been recorded, he's produced and engineered records. (His taste in metal is not mine but that's neither here nor there.) He started his channel into a Big Deal. He's disciplined, knowledgeable, curious, enthusiastic and he loves music. He also has a great ear. (I have no experience with this ear-training material but his own ear is great.)