The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 183

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I think it's a balancing act. The biggest asset for companies like Gibson is their reputation. It's a long term asset. There are many short term monetizing opportunities that exist but if taken up might eat away at their reputation in the long term.

Issuing signature models for legends like BB KIng or Pat Martino actually is a win-win because it perpetuates the association of the company with iconic artists and helps them improve their reputation. It's not just for a short term sales boost.

If Gibson chooses to associate it's brand with popular internet guitar personalities, it might also bring a sales boost, but would it have the same effect on their reputation in the long term?
    *cough* Trini Lopez *cough*

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I cannot watch those jump cuts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Now here's a Gibson signature guitar that brought a bit of fanboy outrage even on Gibson-focused guitar forums back when it was introduced.

10 Strangest Signature Guitars Ever Made! - Andertons Blog

OK, SO... IMO it's "more just" for Beato to have a sig than Sutherland. But... I'd rather have Sutherland's guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Overall there are way too many signature artist models available from all the major brands available. And while we live in the golden age of guitar making. It somehow makes what was once a coveted instrument like Les Paul or an old Tele, a bit shallow.
    I'm glad Gibson isn't offering Archtops with any of the newer players names on them. Mainly because they are so cost prohibitive to begin with.
    But it's also a shame they don't make any L-5CES or similar models any longer.
    I think Ernie Ball has managed it really well. They have a handful of apparently permanent artists, all prominent and respected players, each with their own unique model that was designed specifically for them. They then let those models evolve over the years while staying true to the original concepts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    *cough* Trini Lopez *cough*

Not to mention that several decades later this has led to the Dave Grohl signature model of the Trini Lopez signature model

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I think Ernie Ball has managed it really well. They have a handful of apparently permanent artists, all prominent and respected players, each with their own unique model that was designed specifically for them. They then let those models evolve over the years while staying true to the original concepts.
    Ernie Ball is a small manufacturer that is never going to have the large rooster that Gibson or Fender has, but they do actually bring in new talent, which has resulted in some unique models they've released both at custom shop prices and in affordable versions

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Ernie Ball is a small manufacturer that is never going to have the large rooster that Gibson or Fender has, but they do actually bring in new talent, which has resulted in some unique models they've released both at custom shop prices and in affordable versions
    I don't know how big or small they are. All I really have to go by is their presence at the winter NAMM show and it's always one of the largest booths in the show (actually a space is more accurate) in probably the best location in the entire convention center. That's a VERY expensive undertaking so I suspect that they may be quite a bit larger than you think.

They have two categories of artists: those who have a signature model and those who play their instruments. There are only six of the signature artists and while they've recently brought in James Valentine and St. Vincent, the other four (John Petrucci, Steve Lukather, Albert Lee, and Steve Morse) have all been with MMEB for multiple decades with Morse going all the way back to the mid-80's.

User Info Menu

so I suspect that they may be quite a bit larger than you think.

Probably .. I'm in Europe and their footprint over here is small. The large dealers like Thomann off course have them in stock, but Musicman guitars aren't a common sight ... basses a bit more so.

I have no issues with being told that they are lot bigger domestically than the impression that I have of them over here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    Glad to hear the news as I've been a fan of Rick's for years now. He's got good variety on his channel ranging from instructional material to industry news, gear reviews, and entertainment.

He's also turned me on to some rock acts that I wouldn't have heard otherwise.
    I wish they had had this stuff around when I was younger. We had to figure out why Roundabout and Kid Charlemagne were so good ON OUR OWN...

(Seriously, I found his discussions quite informative. Even though I've listened to these songs hundreds if not thousands of times.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I wish they had had this stuff around when I was younger. We had to figure out why Roundabout and Kid Charlemagne were so good ON OUR OWN...

(Seriously, I found his discussions quite informative. Even though I've listened to these songs hundreds if not thousands of times.)
    One thing I like about those installments is that he can isolate parts---like just Bernard Purdie's drums (or even just the snare) on KC, or just Purdie's drums and Chuck Rainey's bass. That's something I could not do at home back in 1975. Hell, I can't do it now!

User Info Menu

Ok I didn't know the bar of signature models were that low. I only knew models other players talk about or you see in stores. Turns out it's more like a sponsorship contract.
    All those Sig guitars are for guitarists in bands that sold millions of records and tour/toured mid-size to large (arenas) venues. Rick Beato doesn't fit that description.

People are somehow forgetting Gibson's marketing department has made some embarrassing mistakes in recent years. The "Play Authentic" threats for example.

It's just another watering down of a brand that is now owned by corporate raiders. Slap a name on a guitar that you could get for years, charge 2x more instead of coming up with something new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeyNow
    All those Sig guitars are for guitarists in bands that sold millions of records and tour/toured mid-size to large (arenas) venues. Rick Beato doesn't fit that description.

People are somehow forgetting Gibson's marketing department has made some embarrassing mistakes in recent years. The "Play Authentic" threats for example.

It's just another watering down of a brand that is now owned by corporate raiders. Slap a name on a guitar that you could get for years, charge 2x more instead of coming up with something new.
    I really can't agree with this. Beato is a dominant figure in the dominant form of media. He is currently hugely influential in the world of guitar. To deny the importance of that is to deny the importance of the internet and that is really just a denial of reality.

User Info Menu

Just what every jaded old white man needs

User Info Menu

Maybe Fender should release "That Pedal Show" signature Stratocasters and Telecasters.
    Joking aside, I like the unpretentiousness of that show. Just pure gear indulgence. They are informative about gear, history etc but also very down to earth.

User Info Menu

I can’t work out whether this is a good, ahead of the curve move or a bit of a desperate one by Gibson: I guess we’ll see.

Certainly I think it’s true that not many young guitarists play Gibsons IIRC; brands like Chapman and Solar AFAIK have done quite well based on internet exposure. (Companies started by YouTubers)

User Info Menu

I really can't agree with this. Beato is a dominant figure in the dominant form of media. He is currently hugely influential in the world of guitar. To deny the importance of that is to deny the importance of the internet and that is really just a denial of reality.
    That's your opinion. I'll list more facts as I think that is productive in stating a stance.

Dominant = "most important, powerful, or influential" - how is he dominant? Because he has 2.05m YT followers? There are musicians with way more followers and weekly YouTube viewers.

Justin Bieber's official YT channel has 60m followers. You think Rick Beato is more of a household name than Justin Bieber?

Lil Wayne has almost 10m followers and single videos with 600m+ views. Yes - Justin Bieber and Lil Wayne both have played guitar live/in videos.

John Mayer has way more YouTube video views and could sell out an arena tomorrow. His official channel has less than 2m followers, but there are a lot of videos posted under other users. On Instagram, John has 5m+ followers. Rick has 280k.

You think Rick Beato has been more of an influence on existing guitarists than Slash, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Perry, Chuck Berry (artists with Gibson models)? Do you think Rick Beato's YouTube video views outnumbers Guns n Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Aerosmith, or Chuck Berry? I won't even include record and ticket sales or radio plays of Guns n Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Aerosmith, or Chuck Berry.

Amongst guitar "influencers", Paul Davids has more YT subscribers (2.13m) and views.

User Info Menu

That's your opinion. I'll list more facts as I think that is productive in stating a stance.

Dominant = "most important, powerful, or influential" - how is he dominant? Because he has 2.05m YT followers? There are musicians with way more followers and weekly YouTube viewers.

Justin Bieber's official YT channel has 60m followers. You think Rick Beato is more of a household name than Justin Bieber?

Lil Wayne has almost 10m followers and single videos with 600m+ views. Yes - Justin Bieber and Lil Wayne both have played guitar live/in videos.

John Mayer has way more YouTube video views and could sell out an arena tomorrow. His official channel has less than 2m followers, but there are a lot of videos posted under other users. On Instagram, John has 5m+ followers. Rick has 280k.

You think Rick Beato has been more of an influence on existing guitarists than Slash, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Perry, Chuck Berry (artists with Gibson models)? Do you think Rick Beato's YouTube video views outnumbers Guns n Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Aerosmith, or Chuck Berry? I won't even include record and ticket sales or radio plays of Guns n Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Aerosmith, or Chuck Berry.

Amongst guitar "influencers", Paul Davids has more YT subscribers (2.13m) and views.
    I started writing a response but the rational part of my brain kicked in and asked my favorite question of "how important is it anyway?". To which the answer is "not very". So I'm just going to wish you a good day and step out of this discussion.

User Info Menu

Is there an interview with a well-known guitarist that has listed Rick Beato as an influence?

Here are ones I know of influenced by the other Gibson artists (off the top of my head):

Jimmy Page -> Joe Perry -> Slash
    Chuck Berry -> Keith Richards
    Jimi Hendrix -> SRV, John Mayer, John Frusciante

User Info Menu

I started writing a response but the rational part of my brain kicked in and asked my favorite question of "how important is it anyway?". To which the answer is "not very". So I'm just going to wish you a good day and step out of this discussion.
    I would bow out as well given the facts

User Info Menu

Rick is like the Bert Weedon of the new millenium!

Rick Beato Signature Model Gibson in the works-weedon-jpg

User Info Menu

I would bow out as well given the facts
    Then please do. Up until now you were just (rather brusquely) giving your opinion. But that reply is mean.

User Info Menu

It seems like Gibson has already issued some signature models for people who played no significant role in the guitar or music culture (arguably less significant than Rick Beato).

I guess the question is whether the purpose of signature models is to elevate Gibson's lofty legacy by reinforcing its association with guitar icons or is it just a cheesy marketing ploy reminiscent of a disposable department store brand.

Looks like it's both depending on who's name is on the signature model.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 01-07-2021 at 12:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    Then please do. Up until now you were just (rather brusquely) giving your opinion. But that reply is just mean.
    I definitely listed a bunch of facts and proposed questions - which were not answered.

Not opinion.

But, as is the Internet, when somebody is confronted with facts, instead of admitting being wrong (never happens) or representing a factual counter argument (I gladly welcome), the person will say "this is not important to me".

If it sounded mean, I apologize. But, I would bow out if I couldn't back up my initial argument.

Your post served no informational purposes but was an attempt at being mean to me.

User Info Menu

It seems like Gibson has already issued some signature models for people who played no significant role in the guitar or music culture (at least less than Rick Beato).
    Like who? Keifer Sutherland was on the #1 TV show in the world for many years. He was, and still may be, a household name. Some episodes receiving 12m+ views. He has a huge collection of guitars.

User Info Menu

Like who? Keifer Sutherland was on the #1 TV show in the world for many years. He was, and still may be, a household name. Some episodes receiving 12m+ views. He has a huge collection of guitars.
    I mean this is news to me too. Earlier in the thread I thought it was mentioned that Gibson already issued signature guitars for youtube personalities in other genres. I don't know who they are and didn't investigate it.