The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49
    Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Honestly, the case is what I would worry least about. You can always get a better one if you feel you really need it. I never did for any of my guitars.

Re: Godin: I played some of their archtops at a shop. Three identical guitars, except for the colour. Two were good, one was outstanding - of course, the one whose colour I like the least. That caused me to seriously rethink my priorities. Anyway, that was over ten years ago and shouldn't influence your decision.
    Ha! The color thing makes me laugh because I completely know what you mean. The guitar that I really wanted was the Epiphone ES-175 premium, but I only want brand new the go-round. The only one that I’ve been able to find brand new is wine red, which is the exact same color as my old Gibson Studio Les Paul that I had for over a decade and had a hard time bonding with. Just because of that color I had to walk away from the 175. It’s amazing how humans work.

In regards to the case, any negative feedback that I ever hear from anyone on these boards tends to stick out in my mind. I really don’t care much about cases… But if you provide me a weak case with a $1000 guitar, it makes me question quality all the way around, you know? That being said, this forum is a resounding billboard for Eastman guitars. I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews about them here.

Your comment about the three Godins really makes me think. I’m looking at buying a guitar from Sweetwater or special order from my local guitar shop for Eastman. I have never bought a guitar blindly without playing it before. Makes me nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I can only be of help re: Eastman AR 372. I've noticed that you read through my thread so there's not much I could add to that apart from the fact that my appreciation for this guitar has only grown. I've had it for more than three years now and I have no plans to replace it. It has been stable, no issues whatsoever including the finish - which has been mentioned on earlier models.
    And the case that came with it is a quality hardshell case. I'm used to Gibson necks - their width and general feel and profile - and the Eastman neck feels much like a Gibson.
    I'd say it's worth a try. Whatever you choose: good luck with the search.
    Thanks Tommo! Are you still happy with the Kent Armstrong pick-ups? I’ve read about several others on here swapping them out. But that could always just be perfectionism… or boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    no contest..that's clear winner...sweetwaters extra-special finish/color is great...been watchin that awhile...surprised it's still around...very cool guitar...pups can be easily swapped for some tv jones, if needed, down the line

spent kid time in the shadows of the og williamsburgh brooklyn gretsch factory...my first guitar was a gretsch!!...sentimental fave...but great as well

cheers

ps- chet hated flats...flats were standard on gretsch guitars at the time but chet wanted more acoustic-y roundwounds!!...for his fingerstyle...he also wanted humbuckers...not dearmond dynasonic single coils...so filtertrons appeared

pss- i love flats and dynasonics! haha
    This was really helpful, neatomic; I think I might be sold. Would it be a sin to put flatwound’s on this Chet-style guitar? I want to have my cake and eat it too… I want to be able to play Chet-tunes finger style and then flip that switch and be able to hum out mellow jazz licks..

User Info Menu

Interesting: I had an LGB30, a Gretsch 5420 and an Eastman 403 (which is not a 371, I know).
    I sold the Gretsch before I got into jazz, but I tried to get a jazz tone out of it, which kind of worked, but it had round wounds and I didn't like how the tone knob was a bit insensitive. Also, it's a heavy guitar. Lot's of paint on it. I used the Gretsch in my Beatles Tribute band.

I couldn't bond with the 403. It sounded too much like an acoustic flat top: too bright, too little sustain, even after I changed to a CC pickup. Some 371 that I see on YouTube also have this bright, acoustic, a bit 'nasal' tone.

The LGB30 I did like. A really good electric sound with enough sustain, very airy. I'd say: a 'typical jazz guitar tone'. Whatever that is. I sold it because I bought an Eastman Romeo which is all I need to be honest. A lot of air in a small body, high end components, great tones.

Hope it helps.

User Info Menu

I'm going to be a bit contrarian about Eastman. It's been a while since I've played an Eastman and they've come out with a lot of new models that may be different but I've owned three of them and played many more and never bonded with any of them. I always found them to be thin sounding and too bright for my taste. That doesn't mean that they are bad guitars but it does mean that I was unable to achieve what I need tonally from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    I can help you a little with the Gretsch. First of all, no Gretsch guitars are made in the US these days, with the exception of Custom Shop guitars. The Pro Line or 6xxx series are made in Japan at the Terada factory. The 5xxx series are Korean made and are of top quality. I have a bunch of Gretsches, three of which are Korean made ones.

You certainly can get an ultra mellow tone with a Gretsch, and yes flats will help. Just roll off the tone pot and adjust your amp. My Gretsch Tennessee Rose is probably my most versatile guitar. I can rock it, roll off the treble and play jazz, or play anything in between. You may or may not like the blacktop Filtertrons. Live with them for a while. If you like the guitar, but not the pups, you can swap them out for standard Filtertrons or TV Classics.

I think that the best advice given here is to order the guitars on your short list from one of the stores with the generous trial period. Keep the one you like. As much as I love my Gretsch guitars, I also love my Benedetto and Ibanez GB10 for jazz; there’s no one correct answer except how you feel. If you want more info on Gretsch guitars, I’d be glad to help. You can also go to the gretschpages. Tons of info over there and an absolutely great group of folks.
    Huge help, Zigracer! Thank you. I’m all about quality and your thoughts about Korean-made match mine. As I mentioned earlier… Do you think it would be a sin to put flatwounds on this Chet-style guitar? Thinking either a Chromes or TI. Can you tell me specifically what adjustments you make to your treble, mid, bass when you want that mellow tone from your Gretsch? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I'm going to be a bit contrarian about Eastman. It's been a while since I've played an Eastman and they've come out with a lot of new models that may be different but I've owned three of them and played many more and never bonded with any of them. I always found them to be thin sounding and too bright for my taste. That doesn't mean that they are bad guitars but it does mean that I was unable to achieve what I need tonally from them.
    Thanks Jim. Based on the quality of your playing that I witnessed in your videos, I highly respect your opinion. It’s also nice to hear at least one other side of the coin. I’ve heard so many positives about Eastman... but there’s always the ying and the yang.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs
    Thanks Tommo! Are you still happy with the Kent Armstrong pick-ups? I’ve read about several others on here swapping them out. But that could always just be perfectionism… or boredom.

I still have the original pickups in mine, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. Adjust the height and everything to where you like it best (this goes for every electric guitar) and get familiar with a guitar's sound before you consider changing anything.

User Info Menu

This was really helpful, neatomic; I think I might be sold. Would it be a sin to put flatwound’s on this Chet-style guitar? I want to have my cake and eat it too… I want to be able to play Chet-tunes finger style and then flip that switch and be able to hum out mellow jazz licks..

put some thomastik (pure nickel) jazz swings on the gretsch and you'll be set!

tone is much about pickup height...play around with the pup height till you dial in your tone

cheers

User Info Menu

Huge help, Zigracer! Thank you. I’m all about quality and your thoughts about Korean-made match mine. As I mentioned earlier… Do you think it would be a sin to put flatwounds on this Chet-style guitar? Thinking either a Chromes or TI. Can you tell me specifically what adjustments you make to your treble, mid, bass when you want that mellow tone from your Gretsch? Thanks again.

It's never a sin to try different strings. In fact, you may want to put rounds on for some applications and flats for others. If you're going to play Chet style, then rounds would generally be the string of choice, but YOU may like the flats. Vice versa for jazz. Lotsa guys like flats, lotsa guys like rounds. I find it varies depending on the guitar and what I am trying to get out of that particular guitar. So far I like TI GB flats on my Benedetto (trying LaBella flats next string change), but on the Ibanez GB10, Chromes seem to work okay. I string my Gretsch G400 with EJ21s (rounds) so I can get a little more acoustic response. I string all my other Gretsch electrics with EXL-115, with the exception of my Country Club which gets EXL-115W (wound G).

Right now I'm using my Tenny and have the tone pot about 3/4 of the way down and treble-5.5, bass-7.5 on the Deluxe Reverb. I also like the rounded edge of the pick to mellow out the tone for jazz. But it's really salt and pepper to taste.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jim. Based on the quality of your playing that I witnessed in your videos, I highly respect your opinion. It’s also nice to hear at least one other side of the coin. I’ve heard so many positives about Eastman... but there’s always the ying and the yang.

Just to be clear: I didn't bond with the 403, but the T64 is a superb guitar (not bright or thin at all. It's smokey, dark and deep), the SB59 is an insane guitar that rivals 4-5k costing Les Pauls and the Romeo is sonic perfection in a perfectly finished original guitar.... I didn't get paid to write this btw...

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    put some thomastik (pure nickel) jazz swings on the gretsch and you'll be set!

tone is much about pickup height...play around with the pup height till you dial in your tone

cheers
    That’s exactly what I did! I ordered the G5420TG-59 today from Sweetwater. I can’t wait. I’m having it set up with TI J111’s. They’re also gonna tweak the pickup heights for jazz and fingerpicking. I should have it by mid-to-late February. Thanks to all for the help and advice! I’ll send pics when she gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    It's never a sin to try different strings. In fact, you may want to put rounds on for some applications and flats for others. If you're going to play Chet style, then rounds would generally be the string of choice, but YOU may like the flats. Vice versa for jazz. Lotsa guys like flats, lotsa guys like rounds. I find it varies depending on the guitar and what I am trying to get out of that particular guitar. So far I like TI GB flats on my Benedetto (trying LaBella flats next string change), but on the Ibanez GB10, Chromes seem to work okay. I string my Gretsch G400 with EJ21s (rounds) so I can get a little more acoustic response. I string all my other Gretsch electrics with EXL-115, with the exception of my Country Club which gets EXL-115W (wound G).

Right now I'm using my Tenny and have the tone pot about 3/4 of the way down and treble-5.5, bass-7.5 on the Deluxe Reverb. I also like the rounded edge of the pick to mellow out the tone for jazz. But it's really salt and pepper to taste.
    Great information again - Thanks so much. I’ll be honest.. this is going to be my first experience with flat wounds. I’ve been using rounds for 30 years. Sounds like you tweak your amp similar to the way that I do... I play a Hot Rod Deluxe IV. Always curious to hear what other people do with their mids... I never know what to do with ‘em..

I agree try different ones with return policy. You do not know until you live with it normally. I do not want to bias you. All your choices are pretty good!

User Info Menu

That’s exactly what I did! I ordered the G5420TG-59 today from Sweetwater. I can’t wait. I’m having it set up with TI J111’s. They’re also gonna tweak the pickup heights for jazz and fingerpicking. I should have it by mid-to-late February. Thanks to all for the help and advice! I’ll send pics when she gets here.
    nice! congrats..sweetwater is a great outfit

keep us posted

cheers

Happy new year guys. I’m kind of a lurker on here and read lots of the great information that you guys post. My wife has given me the green light to upgrade my Ibanez AF 75, but I’m in a quandary trying to figure out the best one. I’ve narrowed it down to three guitars, and I’d love to hear your opinions.

Option one is in Eastman AR372CE, which I think you guys will love… As everyone on here seems to be huge Eastman fans. Are you guys happy with the Kent Armstrong pickups? I’ve never had the opportunity to play one. On some of the videos I’ve seen online they sound great; on others they sound weak. I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV. I read somewhere on here that Eastman’s cases are crap… Is that true??

My second choice is a Gretsch Electromatic G5420G-54 (KOREA). Gretsch seems to be kind of frowned upon in this forum, and I’m curious as to why. I’m at Chet Atkins fan, so I thought this new limited run might be a lot of fun. But I played one recently at guitar center and I don’t like the glossed neck, and I’m not sure if I can get that ultra-mellow tone that I like for jazz.

My last choice is the old faithful LGB30. Beautiful guitar and it sounds great, but I hate the fact that it’s mass produced in China.

Please let me know your thoughts… I value them immensely. I’m planning to buy this week and arm it with 12-gauge flatwounds.

Thanks guys!

Both the Eastman and George benson are Chinese made . And honestly I like guild.

User Info Menu

Looks like I’m a day late but I wanted to give a vote for the Ibanez. I’ve a new semi-hollow and it was great out of the box. I never liked Gretsch for jazz but it may work for you and your style.

I really wanted to promote Peerless. I have two of there guitars and they are they champion sleeper guitar! The Eastman AR372CE is very brittle like a flat top acoustic so good thing you didn’t go with it. It plays and looks beautiful though. I recently went shopping for a new guitar which included the Eastman and documented it here:
    Choosing an arch top $1000-1400 range (16” w dual HB)

User Info Menu

Bensons are Indonesian made since 2018/19. Big increase in quality over C made.

Hey guys! I hope that everyone has been well. So… After this discussion, I decided to order the ‘59 Gretsch 5420tg because I was hyped up on Chet Atkins. I’ve since had a change of heart, canceled my pending order, and am absolutely going to buy an Eastman.

I noticed that a lot of the mid-upper range models have gold hardware. Has the gold hardware on your Eastmans crumbled off with tarnish? If I make this kind of investment in nice jazz guitar, I want to make sure that it looks good for longer than six months.

Check her out! I ultimately decided on an Eastman AR580CE. Blown away… What amazing guitar

User Info Menu

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Beautiful, that's a winner.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar. Enjoy it well.

John

User Info Menu

Congrats !! The Eastman 580 may be the perfect guitar in their lineup. Wood binding, carved top, laminate back and sides- at a very attractive price point for this instrument. Rich S did an in-depth review of this guitar and liked it very much.

You made a great choice - do enjoy.

Last edited by QAman; 02-10-2021 at 09:20 PM.