The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22
    Dutchbopper Guest
    Sold my Katana 50 today ... Too much the same as my Cube 60.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, there you have it: the Les Paul makes an excellent jazz guitar, which is what Les had in mind when he set out to make it, as archtop players had been complaining about feedback issues.

Of course, the guitar doesn't play jazz itself...it takes a really fine player to make it sing, as DB does here. Bravo!

What model is it, DB? And how do you have it set up?

User Info Menu

Great playing and tone. This is proof positive that you do not need expensive gear to get a great jazz guitar sound and vibe. It is also proof positive that a Les Paul is a superb design for jazz guitar so long as one does not require any acoustic crunch for traditional rhythm guitar tone.

User Info Menu

Sounds great, Dick. What's the backing track?

John

User Info Menu

Whatever the guitar, "it's always you", like the standard says...Great playing with a very responsive guitar.

User Info Menu

Hi, DB,
    I liked your pacing on this piece. My sleeping tenor sax was trying to break out of its case.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Nice playing and tone, DB! I have never understood the reluctance to accept the Les Paul guitar as a Jazz instrument. Jazz was, after all, its original purpose; and what it took to change that was for a few key players to apply them to the blues. And bear in mind that much of the impetus to try them was their (at the time) low price - many were hanging dusty in pawn shops, where hungry musicians looked for bargains.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Well, there you have it: the Les Paul makes an excellent jazz guitar, which is what Les had in mind when he set out to make it, as archtop players had been complaining about feedback issues. Of course, the guitar doesn't play jazz itself...it takes a really fine player to make it sing, as DB does here. Bravo! What model is it, DB? And how do you have it set up?
    Thanks for the kind comment Rob. I got this guitar in 1978 from my dad. It was my first decent guitar. I had to look up the model. It's an LS 500 VS Aria Pro II, a lawsuit Les Paul made in the Matsumoku factory in Japan. Mahogany neck and body with a maple cap, just like a Les Paul. This guitar spent decades in the attic until recently when I had it the electronics replaced and had it equipped with 2 classic 57 Gibson pups, mostly for reasons of nostalgia. My dad passed away only a few years after he bought it for me.

I have 0.11 TI Jazz swings on it now. Action is really low, just like on a rock guitar. The amp I bought used for 100 bucks a few weeks ago.

Below the guitar in 1978.

DB

My Les Paul copy through my Cube 60.-1978-jpg

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Sounds great, Dick. What's the backing track? John
    Your turn John!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Well, there you have it: the Les Paul makes an excellent jazz guitar, which is what Les had in mind when he set out to make it, as archtop players had been complaining about feedback issues.

Of course, the guitar doesn't play jazz itself...it takes a really fine player to make it sing, as DB does here. Bravo!

What model is it, DB? And how do you have it set up?
    Rob, a while ago I posted this vid with the same guitar. The amp is my Mambo 10.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Your turn John!

Cool! I've been looking for a good organ trio track.

John

User Info Menu

Beautiful!

User Info Menu

This whole thread, starting with the playing, is just awesome!

Thanks for sharing that!!

-Chris

User Info Menu

That is actually a great tone .. on the bright side, but really great .. Had to look up your Tal video and yeah well ... Thru my blue tooth speakers this isn't inferior. Different, but not inferior ... Once again proving that our gear hunt is about other stuff than sound

User Info Menu

Great playing as always! What are your amp settings?

User Info Menu

Sold my Katana 50 today ... Too much the same as my Cube 60.

DB

Do you have fat strings on that LP? sounds wonderful

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    Do you have fat strings on that LP? sounds wonderful
    You missed it earlier in the thread
    I have 0.11 TI Jazz swings on it now. Action is really low, just like on a rock guitar. The amp I bought used for 100 bucks a few weeks ago.

User Info Menu

Great stuff as usual, DB. It doesn't matter what guitar or amp you're playing through.

Thanks for the backing track also!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Great playing as always! What are your amp settings?
    Thanks Gitterbug. I used the clean setting. Bass and Middle flat (12 o' clock), Treble at 9 and Presence at 10 o' clock.

DB

User Info Menu

Your turn John!

Challenge accepted!

(Seventy-Seven Hawk Jazz into a Garageband amp model that combines a BF Super Reverb head with 2x12" cabinet.)

John
    Last edited by John A.; 01-02-2021 at 11:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Lovely soloing, John!

User Info Menu

Nicely played gents! I regret selling my Cube 60 sometimes.

1. The player
    2. The amp
    3. The guitar

My experience with inexpensive electric guitars has convinced me that this list, sorted in order of significance, is the source of good tone.