The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

I suspect that's just her sound. It may be what she likes. It's just a matter of taste. I wouldn't buy nor reject the guitar based solely on that clip. I think Tal would have sounded like Tal on it, and she may sound like that on an L5 through a Polytone. Who knows? It's just one clip via a phone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

To me it sounds (and looks) like she is picking closer to the bridge than I am used to. Loses some warmth with that approach. Doesn't sound like a bridge pickup, just sounds like picking closer to the bridge.

User Info Menu

I've carefully listened the recording with both my trusted two headphones.

Although it is not even a "home studio" level recording, way enough good to get the characteristics of the two guitars sound, what is the OP purpose.

My very first experience: The girl rocks, tone primarily comes from her hand. The guitar is closer to the cheap side, no question, and its boxy sound matter of taste, but I can like both boxy and the opposite openend sounds too, so I really enjoyed that mainly acoustic boxy and dry sound.

I do not hear any chorus, maybe when the two musicians play in unisono, that could mislead the listeners. I do not even hear much amplification, the sound is very dry and acoustic. That boxyness is the acoustic characteristic of the guitar not an EQ, very similar to Epi Joe Pass. The great attack is coming from picking a bit closer from the bridge.

I've found the girl's sound very inspiring, and interesting. Not boring at all. As opposite, the boy's sound is a canned, boring, plinky with no character a really "avoid to" for me. Although tastes are different, and our preferred sound may vary a very vide scale from dry to extremely reverbed or from open to boxy or from L5 to Tele, etc this mojo (if you like it) is not coming from the guitar, instead from her hand.

I would give up my all guitars from that hand. (well all, but except one :-) (or two). ...or... I do not give up any of my guitars, and as a new year's resolution I practice way more to get that sound :-)
    Last edited by Gabor; 01-02-2021 at 03:30 AM.

User Info Menu

More than the tone, it's the rhytmic placement of the 2 players that strikes me. She has a great time feel, laid back as I like it. He is more rushing and I don't like this much. She is also developping great ideas in fewer notes than him. She is an extremely promising player, for sure!

Cheers.

User Info Menu

She plays much better time for sure. The other guy doesn’t sound like he’s playing with her at all, but she projects a pocket really clearly.

Partly low quality recording equipment.

User Info Menu

I would describe the tone as "boxy," as others have said. I don't necessarily mind other people sounding like that but I hate it when I sound like that. On the other hand, as others have pointed out, she plays quite well. She's got a good groove and time, plays with melodic ideas rather than just playing scales or licks, is clearly attending to the person she's playing with rather than just playing simultaneously with someone.

And, the forum being what it is, I would not be surprised if somebody here knows her quite well.