The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Has anyone found a moderately priced gig bag for 17+" x 3" arch tops? A couple of my guitars have extended peg heads so length is a concern as well. My number one gigging guitar is a Triumph Regent at 17-3/8". Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Take a look at the Reunion Blues Continental 'dreadnought' sized bag. It's what Peter Bernstein uses for his Zeidler. Not too expensive.

Reunion Blues Continental Voyager Dreadnought Guitar Case - Andertons Music Co.

^ Here's a video I did about mine back in 2014. I hear from friends that newer versions of the bag have reduced the overall weight and addressed my issue about it riding high.

User Info Menu

And if you really run out of options, contact these guys in Japan: ??????

Scroll to the Nazca 18" gigbag at the bottom. The manager, Harry, may be reached by Messenger at the Stringphonic Facebook page.

User Info Menu

You may find some relevant material here:
    Gibson Johnny Smith gig bag?
    Posting your resultant decision would be appreciated!

User Info Menu

and addressed my issue about it riding high.
    I hope they did! Reunion blues are excellent, but that was my reason for not buying them, i had some bags in that high riding style and found them very uncomfortable plus i kept hitting things..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Take a look at the Reunion Blues Continental 'dreadnought' sized bag. It's what Peter Bernstein uses for his Zeidler. Not too expensive.

Reunion Blues Continental Voyager Dreadnought Guitar Case - Andertons Music Co.

^ Here's a video I did about mine back in 2014. I hear from friends that newer versions of the bag have reduced the overall weight and addressed my issue about it riding high.
    That's a 16" guitar, correct?

User Info Menu

Forum member Jonathan Stout posted a review of his jumbo MONO gigbag on his website (there must be link somewhere here) - he carries his vintage L-5 in it so it must be pretty decent and it certainly fits.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of both the RB Continental bags and the Mono ones.
    Assuming a guitar fits, it's really personal preference at that point.

The RB bags are on their 3rd iteration.
    I've got the 1st and 2nd generation ones, and the "dread" size definitely doesn't fit my 1939 L-5 comfortably.
    You can zip it closed, but it's too close for my taste. (It does however perfectly fit my 16" 1932 L-5)
    I haven't checked the 3rd generation ones "dread" size, but they don't make a bigger one.

As for the mono, the "Jumbo" more than comfortably fits the 17" guitar. So much so, that, at least during these pandemic times, I might suggest ordering a "dread" size mono bag first, assuming you can get it from somewhere that's got free returns. I mean, I don't have any gigs so I assume you won't need to take it anywhere that soon, so you might find that mono "dread" size is sufficient.

Either way, these new "semi-rigid" gig bags are lightyears beyond the barely padded sacks we used to have.
    Unless I'm flying them, or I needed to pack them in the car in such a way that necessitated a hard case, I always use one of those gig bags.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the ideas gents. I ordered an inexpensive jumbo acoustic bag (a D'Angelico, whatever that's worth). It was $40, a cosmetic second from MF. I only gig once a week at most (at least i did.....) and nothing that requires significant travel, so I can (hopefully) get away with a lesser case. We'll see how it works out.

Incidentally, I played a gig on electric bass the other night, and had it in a decent bag slung over my shoulder. The peg head hit the door jamb on the way out, the strap broke and my bass landed on concrete. Yikes! Just a little dent in a solid alder p-bass body. A carved archtop would not have faired so well.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Between Reunion Blues and Mono, i have a few friends that have used both for years. The Mono are beat up, with various scratches and torn points, the Reunion Blues still look almost like new..

User Info Menu

I recently bought a Guild Premium Jumbo gig bag for my F50, don't know how it compares to the ones already mentioned, but was under $100. It fits the F50 easily, and it's 17" with 4.8" depth, and it's well padded.

User Info Menu

No one's mentioned Glenn Cronkhite yet ... he's the founder of Reunion Blues, then sold it and did his own thing. He finally "retired," but sold and consults with the new owners. His bags have been the Best for decades.

User Info Menu

The leather bags by Reunion Blues and successors were all very well made, with top quality leather, stitching, riveting etc. but they were/are also heavy, the foam inside does not hold up as well as the leather on the outside (provided one took care of it) and the larger bags with sidewalls did not have the extra shields built it like MONO has them and a few others. I'd trust a fabric or leather bag from these brands with my Tele any time but not when it comes to my acoustic/archtop guitars. I base this on 25 years experience with all 3 brands - right now I use 3 different MONO bags and one newer RB leather bag (for solid body guitars) that I got at half price.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your suggestions. As I am really cheap, I ordered a "D'Angelico" (you KNOW what that means) jumbo bag. It fits my 17-3/8" guitar perfectly. I'm sure it isn't of the quality of the bags mentioned above, but I'm not dragging it through the subway nightly. It seems well made with a robust zipper, heavy nylon material and substantial straps. Normal retail is $55, I got an "open box" for $40 from MF. The model is DPAJ BAG. And there ya go-