The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I had been frustrated putting strap locks on thick leather straps. You could thin the strap with wire cutters or soak the end of the strap and press it hard in a vise to flatten the area. Even then it was somewhat sloppy.

There are option aside from strap locks that involve adding hassle to putting on and taking off the strap from the guitar. You can just leave the strap on all of the time. You can go strapless. Or you can use the strap without the security of locks.

I recently found another option. The is a company that makes long barrels that accommodate thick straps. I got a set.

Amazon.com: Walker & Williams Gold Extra Long Deep Barrel Strap Locks for Thick Guitar Straps: Musical Instruments

They do what they are supposed to do. They easily go on a thin or thick strap. The nut has wings to firmly tighten by hand. Once on and locked they have jiggle room and can rattle. When wearing the strap there is no jiggle. I worried with a good pull on the strap they may give way. They won't. I only got one set, so your mileage may vary.

I found another brand with a similar concept but some differences. They come as shiny black with a pearloid cover on the large washer. Buy a dozen and they are only about $6 each delivered. So I bit. I then learned they ship from China and that arrival could take a while. Mine came in a month.

These work just as well. They should be tightened either carefully with a wrench or pliers. Better yet, find a socket wrench. You don't want to damage the pretty washer.

Amazon.com: Guitar Strap Locks Straplocks Buttons for Electric Bass Guitar Parts (1 set, Red): Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: Guitar Strap Locks Straplocks Buttons for Electric Bass Guitar Parts (12 set, Red): Musical Instruments

I'm pleased with both products. While I'm happy I found these I'm disappointed it took years before I stumbled on them. I've seen the question posed on various forums over the years about what to do with thick straps. Recently, being frustrated once again trying to put Dunlops on a thick strap, I googled again. I found on a bass guitar forum a single suggestion for the Walker and Williams Long Barrels. Just then the world changed.

Here is an example of a thick strap made by Jodi Head. I'd just leave it on a guitar but after a while some straps leach into nitrocellulose and leave a stain. So I want to offer up another option for those who may benefit.

Strap Locks for Thick Straps-ibrnuuex3xqgwbza50qf-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks MG.

I have a couple of straps that make it an effort to get on, and then I'm nervous about whether they're going to stay on, and I've ended up cutting to enlarge and thin the hole a bit. Not the best thing when it's an expensive guitar and strap.

I'll be looking into this!

Cheers,

Steve

User Info Menu

What a great idea! Wish I'd seen this when I was still acquiring guitars. I like a thick strap myself, but have also encountered problems with thin straps, for which I make a shim. With thicker straps, I either hand-trim the leather or use a c-clamp to squish the area into compliance. I will not use a guitar without a strap and a strap lock on the neck end. I'm cheap, and that way I get two guitars equipped with one set of strap locks. I blow the savings on nice straps. I like Levy's a lot, but have a number of brands. My policy is to have a strap in each case, along with cables and spare strings.

User Info Menu

I like the Schaller straplocks. Installed properly, the strap cannot come off even if the button is pressed, as long as it's on the pin. It might take some compressing or shaving for some straps, but I have them on some rather thick straps and they hold fine. I have bought some Chinese copies, apparently not even made from metal, perhaps plastic, that didn't work on thick straps because the threads stripped when tightened just a little too much. But the authentic Schallers hold well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I like the Schaller straplocks. Installed properly, the strap cannot come off even if the button is pressed, as long as it's on the pin. It might take some compressing or shaving for some straps, but I have them on some rather thick straps and they hold fine. I have bought some Chinese copies, apparently not even made from metal, perhaps plastic, that didn't work on thick straps because the threads stripped when tightened just a little too much. But the authentic Schallers hold well.
    I agree about how secure Schallers, Dunlops, Fenders, etc. are. I have a bag of rubber beer bottle washers and a bunch of oversized strap buttons, too. All of them can work. My beef with Schallers and some others is that they obviously are not designed for thick straps. You have to modify the strap or wrestle with the process for it to work.

If Schallers had either a warning or a written procedure for thick straps, it would be a different story. If those who sold thick straps stated that their straps may not fit well with certain strap lock brands it would be fine. But they don't.

There is a reason that at least two companies make long barrel strap locks. I was not aware of them until now. My experience with both brands so far has been that they do exactly what they are supposed to do.

User Info Menu

I wasn't aware of the long barrel models either. I just don't have a need for them, but I'm not surprised others do. The guitars I've been playing most have an endpin jack, and I use straps designed for that, which don't need anything special to keep them in place, because they have their own built-in locks. But for a standard strap button, something else is usually required. I'll keep the long barrel models in mind if I ever have the need.

User Info Menu

The new Schaller strap locks are perfectly fine for very thick straps. Also, they don't rattle like the old ones. They're backwards compatibele with the old ones though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    The new Schaller strap locks are perfectly fine for very thick straps. Also, they don't rattle like the old ones. They're backwards compatibele with the old ones though.
    I have not used the new Schaller strap locks. Looking at the pics, they do look like they have a "long barrel". The old one is on top. There is not a lot of extra thread. Compare that to the new one.

Strap Locks for Thick Straps-359-schaller-straplocks-chrome__38660-1050x1200-jpgStrap Locks for Thick Straps-2020-12-28-19_03_58-stewart-macdonald-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass

Here is an example of a thick strap made by Jodi Head. I'd just leave it on a guitar but after a while some straps leach into nitrocellulose and leave a stain. So I want to offer up another option for those who may benefit.

Strap Locks for Thick Straps-ibrnuuex3xqgwbza50qf-jpg
    I'll bet I know what Guitar this beautiful strap is attached too.. Perfecto!~
    JD

User Info Menu

I have used the following with good results.

https://www.thomann.de/se/loxx_security_lock_ch.htm

User Info Menu

These are padded Levys straps. They're very thick. Attaching them on a normal strap button is almost impossible. With the new Schaller strap locks, I still have a few threads left.
    Strap Locks for Thick Straps-img_5780-jpgStrap Locks for Thick Straps-img_5779-jpg

User Info Menu

This has been a helpful thread. Thanks for the replies.