The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

Nice review and guitar! Did you have problems with frets, dead spots etc? You mentioned you gave the guitar a fret leveling ..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Nice review and guitar! Did you have problems with frets, dead spots etc? You mentioned you gave the guitar a fret leveling ..
    2-3 frets were a tad too high and all in all the frets on Guilds Newark St. guitars are really high. Now they‘re perfect.

User Info Menu

Nice guitar! I really like the A-150 that I have. Guild makes a great neck the old school way with three pieces slapped together versus a scarf joint. Also, no route in the back is really classy IMHO.
    Last edited by lammie200; 02-13-2021 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Nice guitar! I really the A-150 that I have. Guild makes a great neck the old school way with three pieces slapped together versus a scarf joint. Also, no route in the back is really classy IMHO.
    Thanks, absolutely true. The neck construction is a real usp for Guilds. The quality of the Newark St. guitars is very very good, not far from Gretsch Proline.

But if you’re really picky (like me) those guitars need a bit finetuning. Besides the frets I‘ve also reworked the bone (!) nut. And there‘s still a lil tuning problem. I‘ll swap the tuners, even if the tuners are rarely suspicious for tuning issues.
    Guild M-75 Aristocrat-cf0eeb58-77a5-4104-a5e4-8c0f3bd5068d-jpg

Inspired by the new Collings Julian Lage signature I couldn’t resist and tried a Faber 59 TOM with Nylon saddles:
    Guild M-75 Aristocrat-c926174e-24df-4cf0-a2c8-ed72cd8a253c-jpg
    This bridge is significantly louder compared to the Truarc and therefore very dynamic and responsive. All strings are very balanced. The top end is smoothed and silk but the attack is still pronounced and, excuse me, „smokey“. I‘m very impressed.

User Info Menu

Nylon saddles have a sound and attack all their own and are a relatively economical way to broaden your guitar's tonal palette.

After two days of intensive playing the tone gets better and better, I‘m able to hear the saddles setting in. Wonderful sustain and „body“. Give it a try yourself, you‘ll be surprised.

User Info Menu

is the faber stainless steel, or the standard mystery meat alloy? when i moved to stainless steel bridges, i did notice a little jump in volume, amongst other things.

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    is the faber stainless steel, or the standard mystery meat alloy? when i moved to stainless steel bridges, i did notice a little jump in volume, amongst other things.
    To be honest- I don‘t know. I guess it’s die cast nickled brass...But it‘s well built and the nylon saddles are phenomenal. It seems that this combination doesn’t absorbe any tone. It‘s much louder compared to the other bridges I‘ve tried and it sounds killer. That’s what I‘ve wanted.

User Info Menu

Seems like you found what you wanted. Another alternative is the Graphtech Stringsaver TOM. I have one that I have used on my ES-390 with good results, but right now I changed it to a rosewood bridge. I am going to stick with that for a while. Seems to tame the high frequency attack spike even more than the Stringsaver. That is what I was looking for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    Inspired by the new Collings Julian Lage signature I couldn’t resist and tried a Faber 59 TOM with Nylon saddles:
    Guild M-75 Aristocrat-c926174e-24df-4cf0-a2c8-ed72cd8a253c-jpg
    This bridge is significantly louder compared to the Truarc and therefore very dynamic and responsive. All strings are very balanced. The top end is smoothed and silk but the attack is still pronounced and, excuse me, „smokey“. I‘m very impressed.
    Hey Stefan. Do you have a link for the Faber 59 TOM with nylon saddles? Just to make sure I order the correct one. Still enjoying your M75?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbrodie
    Hey Stefan. Do you have a link for the Faber 59 TOM with nylon saddles? Just to make sure I order the correct one. Still enjoying your M75?
    Thanks, here’s the link for metric bridges (non-US guitars):

ABRM-NGN ABRM Bridge, Fits 4mm studs, Gloss Nickel, Nylon saddles, 85,00 €

User Info Menu

thanks!!! still enjoying your M75? mine is coming in the post soon

Unfortunately not, sold the guitar in a moment of madness
    Now I‘m looking for another…
    Where are you from?

User Info Menu

Where are you from?

I'm originally from UK, migrated and living in Australia. I have an ES-330 and Ez-175 for jazz but thought I'd try something different. I'm still paying mine off so the Guild will be in my hands in a few days.
    I know that madness. I often think of the wonderful guitars ive sold in the past....

User Info Menu

Attachment 77672
    Finally got my Goldtop Aristocrat I was on the hunt for since years. Amazing guitar, I‘m blown away.
    Here‘s a little review I‘ve written on Gretsch Talk, if you’re interested:

Review: My Guild M-75 Aristocrat | Gretsch-Talk Forum
    Sweet looking guitar, and I like the finish. Congrats, buddy.

Where are you from?
    Germany. Do you‘ve bought a gold top?

User Info Menu

Germany. Do you‘ve bought a gold top?

yes, mine is the gold top

Let‘s see pics when you‘ve got her!

User Info Menu

Let‘s see pics when you‘ve got her!
    I definitely will!! Cheers

Cheers to you!

Btw, those bridges are even better:

403 Forbidden

Edit: it’s not allowed to paste the link, dunno why. Check KISSMYSTRINGS- those bridges/saddles are fantastic!
    Last edited by Stefan Eff; 02-08-2023 at 04:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Cheers to you!

Btw, those bridges are even better:

403 Forbidden

Edit: it’s not allowed to paste the link, dunno why. Check KISSMYSTRINGS- those bridges/saddles are fantastic!
    Thanks. Ive checked out their website and they look great. No nylon saddle option, it seems

Thanks. Ive checked out their website and they look great. No nylon saddle option, it seems
    No nylon saddles but fantastic brass saddles.

User Info Menu

Attachment 77672
    Finally got my Goldtop Aristocrat I was on the hunt for since years. Amazing guitar, I‘m blown away.
    Here‘s a little review I‘ve written on Gretsch Talk, if you’re interested:

Review: My Guild M-75 Aristocrat | Gretsch-Talk Forum
    I have always lked the Aristocrat model. Congrats, buddy.

User Info Menu

One's looking for a 15" lower bout guitar this could be a contender
    It's fully hollow with parallel bracing
    I tried one a few years ago (the new ones) and it's was really dynamic, and the pickups are something.
    The neck was really well made. The frets are oversized, and are kind of unique feeling.