The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I once had a really cool 5f1 clone, but I sold it to a friend for very cheap when he was shopping for his first amp. It was stupid of me to be such a great friend but I wasn't going to ask for it back. While looking at vintage champs I learned about a transitional model that was produced only for a few months in late 63 and early 64: it features the circuit and construction of the narrow-panel tweed champ combined with the black & silver cosmetics of Blackface-era amps. They tend to sell for a lot less than the fully tweed versions, and I actually like the tolex. It's much more durable than tweed and looks nice.

It's surprisingly big sounding. The circuit is pretty dark, but the original Oxford 8ev is a bright speaker, so it balances out. Thinking about the times I played a 12" version of the champ (victoria and other clones) I realize how wrongheaded it was to believe that a bigger speaker was an improvement. 8" is the right size.

1964 Fender Champ Tweed in Blackface Tolex-img_5926-jpg

I keep it on foam speaker pads to isolate the amp. Makes a huge difference!

Enjoy something I transcribed last night. "Oof!" by Bill Doggett. It's true what they say about champs and teles.

Last edited by omphalopsychos; 12-16-2020 at 04:40 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

very cool fender...last of the single pointer knob champs!

nice gear, song selection and playing..real country swing vibe

tweed style champs can move some air...famously used by clapton on layla and other assorted love songs

congrats & enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

I ll second what you say for the 8 inch speaker in champs. Don't know how they do it!

User Info Menu

That does sound good!

User Info Menu

Congratulations on scoring a great sounding little amp! Champs can be very musical at low volumes.

Play it in good health...and keep this one!

User Info Menu

That thread title sounds very politically incorrect!

User Info Menu

Champs rule! I miss my tweeds, but my Vibro Champ is amazing, especially with my El Pescodro pedal (Thanks, neatomic!).

Great find! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

ck74- so glad you are enjoyin the el pescadoro!...tavo at nocturne is a real tone hound...makes great pedals, amps and even a collab guitar with our man grez guitars!

cheers

User Info Menu

Great amp! It sounds outstanding with your Tele.

The 5f1 is one of the all-time best amp designs. I would never be without one.

User Info Menu

I have a '75 with 8" speaker and AA764 design, I think. Good little amp.
    Yours is awesome.

Thanks for the compliments. It's a ridiculously fun amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I ll second what you say for the 8 inch speaker in champs. Don't know how they do it!
    I dunno either but I will say when it comes to vintage vs new speakers 8" is where i've noticed the biggest difference. I tried some modern speakers in here for fun: weber cva8, tone tubby low watt 8, jupiter 8sc. Those are cool but the oxford is key to this sound. Of the ones I tried the cva8 is the closest to the oxford, but it would need decades of playing to sound this good.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    That thread title sounds very politically incorrect!
    Unintended! I blame Fender for their insufficiently progressive nomenclature.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Great amp! It sounds outstanding with your Tele.

The 5f1 is one of the all-time best amp designs. I would never be without one.
    Thanks! You know you're the guy who originally got me into tweeds and I'm still chasing an original harvard thanks to you.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ck74- so glad you are enjoyin the el pescadoro!...tavo at nocturne is a real tone hound...makes great pedals, amps and even a collab guitar with our man grez guitars!

cheers
    Glad the El P is making it around. That is a really cool pedal. I usually hate combo pedals (actually I hate pedals generally), but that's the perfect thing to put in front of an amp without reverb.

User Info Menu

Sorry about that, Omphy. Tweeds are great. You will never regret a Harvard if you track one down.

User Info Menu

Very musical!

The hardware also sounds great.

User Info Menu

Love the snakehead.
    Strum is a cool joint.

User Info Menu

Champs are ultimative amps!
    It‘s often the baffle that makes small amps a lot louder, more grown up. Dunno what kind of baffle is inside your amp?

Swap the original speaker for a Warehouse G8C and it‘ll sound like a 10“ cab!

User Info Menu

can i ask how much you paid?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    Champs are ultimative amps!
    It‘s often the baffle that makes small amps a lot louder, more grown up. Dunno what kind of baffle is inside your amp?

Swap the original speaker for a Warehouse G8C and it‘ll sound like a 10“ cab!
    Sorry I just saw this message. The baffle is the original. FYI I tried out a ton of popular 8" speakers in this amp. The oxford sounds the best to my ears, at least at low volumes. The Jupiter 8sc is similar to that warehouse speaker you mentioned. It's cool, but I think anything other than the oxford makes this into a very different amp. The only modern speaker that sounded "right" was the weber cva8. You gotta have alnico in the amp.