The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Last February I traded my 2007 Ibanez GB10 toward an ES-335 as I had bought a Benedetto Bravo Deluxe the year before and wanted to get something a little more "versatile", not that I don't already have enough other guitars that fit that category. Big mistake. Although I like the 335 and am happy with it, I missed that signature tone that I could only achieve with the GB10. I should have just bought the 335 outright. I've missed the GB10 since.

Today I took delivery on a 2020 GB10. With the exception of a little filing to deepen a nut slot, the 2020 appears to be near perfect. Frets are level, well shaped and polished. The finish appears flawless and the grain on the top layer of the spruce laminate top is nice. The volume and tone knobs seem a little different, though. My memory tells me that there was a knurled rubber ring around the knobs on the 2007, but maybe I'm wrong. The knobs on this are all plastic. The pickups on this guitar seem a little hotter than the 2007, but again that is from memory and I'm playing it against the Benedetto. Does seem that the bridge pup is hotter than the 2007 for sure, making it more useful. I haven't yet played the GB10 through my Deluxe Reverb and have only played it through the little Gretsch Electromatic practice amp I have in my family room. That "thunk" I was missing seems to be there. Here's a picture of the GB next to the Benedetto.

Ibanez GB10-9b2c38af-45ee-4960-9aa6-5c804197acf2_1_201_a-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congratulations and welcome back to the Ibanez fold) you are correct the current knobs are all plastic and according to Ibanez an improvement on the rubber ones. Wha?
    And nice decorations too! Wrap the GB in lights and it can be a Merry Christmas guitar tree.
    d

User Info Menu

Thank you, jazzkritter. My guess is that the rubber would eventually deteriorate and get sticky like the focus ring on some cameras. I see you're from LBI. Friends of ours rent a house there every year. We're on the CT shore.

User Info Menu

Hi
    I’m sure your right about the rubber on the knobs. These do have an odd feel but they are easy to turn.

Here’s some GB10 1979 fun if you’ve not seen it... Joni Mitchell playing a GB10 (!) with Metheny and Pastorious! She really kills it)

Yep on LBI waiting for this killer storm). We get rain, but it’s going to hit right at a new moon tide so I don’t think Im going anywhere for a day or two. Nice and quiet here now, although more people than years past so I suppose there’s a bunch working from home.

(PM200, AF200, AF95FM. L5, Tal Farlow)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    Thank you, jazzkritter. My guess is that the rubber would eventually deteriorate and get sticky like the focus ring on some cameras. I see you're from LBI. Friends of ours rent a house there every year. We're on the CT shore.
    The rubber on my PM120 just has gotten loose and occasionally it will pop off

User Info Menu

The angel by the fireplace approves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Hi
    I’m sure your right about the rubber on the knobs. These do have an odd feel but they are easy to turn.

Here’s some GB10 1979 fun if you’ve not seen it... Joni Mitchell playing a GB10 (!) with Metheny and Pastorious! She really kills it)

Yep on LBI waiting for this killer storm). We get rain, but it’s going to hit right at a new moon tide so I don’t think Im going anywhere for a day or two. Nice and quiet here now, although more people than years past so I suppose there’s a bunch working from home.

(PM200, AF200, AF95FM. L5, Tal Farlow)
    Saw that tour live.

User Info Menu

Great guitar!
    I am gonna go on record and say, EVERYONE should have a GB10 or some derivative.
    2 nights ago I played my GB100. My wife was sitting on the Brown couch next to me said, “OK, you need to do an album”. And she said, “you need to do some Gigs”.. (it was adorable, you had to be there)
    She said it was the best she ever heard me play.
    Playing the GB guitar is the closest thing to us guitar players being able to, “tickle the Ivories”..
    It loves to be played softly. But you can also play it any way you want..
    Your GB is beautiful. Have the best time with it.
    And seriously, everyone here should have one.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

When I worked at Ibanez, different models would change a lot from batch to batch because the factories of origin were constantly changing (largely for the better luckily) but though the outward specs were the same, they could be different guitars.
    The top end guitars, however, were absolutely consistently top quality. So I could pick up an 80's GB10 and one just unboxed from Japan and they'd have the same quality, same neck, same feel, same vibe.
    Pickups have changed in some ways but not objectionably IMHO, and if the bridge PU seems hotter, it may very well be. Use that phillips adjustment on the pickguard and lower the pickguard a tiny bit. That'll take the bridge pickup down and you can balance your output that way too along with mellowing it out as it moves away from the string. Neck pickup is uneffected.
    Have fun with your guitar. They do play in albeit slowly over time, so the more you play it, the more it will be like the guitar you had, and eventually with use, it'll become better.
    I think the solid knobs are an improvement. The replacements room was filled with pieces for customer repairs, replacement and warrantees. Those knobs felt great new, but they did age and they're a pain to get replacements for.

User Info Menu

Wish they made a less blingy version, ie nickel hardware and a plain ebony tailpiece. In fact, why can’t more archtops come with nickel or black hardware? I also hate gold watches ??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paul s.
    Wish they made a less blingy version, ie nickel hardware and a plain ebony tailpiece. In fact, why can’t more archtops come with nickel or black hardware? I also hate gold watches ??
    For a while they made one in Korea. JS10 I believe. Same specs. Laudibly high quality, but with less fancy tuners and rosewood instead of the ebony of the GB10. I happen to love these even more, as they seemed to embody a more acoustic response. If you ever find one used, they're well worth checking out. They only made them a couple of years. Still gold for a large part though, sorry.

User Info Menu

Nice score! As I just mentioned, a colleague of man had one and gave it up and always regretted it. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

PS: If joe D. says everyone ought to have one, everyone ought to have one. I'ma tell my wife!

User Info Menu

Thank you C74.
    I can’t imagine Mrs K wouldn’t want you to have one buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Thank you C74.
    I can’t imagine Mrs K wouldn’t want you to have one buddy.
    JD
    Oh, believe me, Joe she would! That's how I got to a standing inventory of 20+ guitars. She's too good for me. I am blessed.

User Info Menu

"Wish they made a less blingy version, ie nickel hardware and a plain ebony tailpiece. In fact, why can’t more archtops come with nickel or black hardware? I also hate gold watches ??"

Agreed, a deterrent to purchase.

User Info Menu

I like the gold. It will tarnish and wear to silver in due time anyway.

User Info Menu

Funny, but that's how I too acquired an inventory of 20 + guitars! I married my best friend who loves me, warts, guitars, and all.

User Info Menu

Indeed! Married my best friend and keep telling my daughter ya gotta marry your best friend. Took her till 35 but shes gonna)
    So the count for me is 5, but Mrs jazzkritters finest moment was my Antonio Marin-Montero classical, worth quite a few archtops))). Sweet girl!)

User Info Menu

Ibanez GB15, neck pickup
    black hardware

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46
    "Wish they made a less blingy version, ie nickel hardware and a plain ebony tailpiece. In fact, why can’t more archtops come with nickel or black hardware? I also hate gold watches ??"

Agreed, a deterrent to purchase.

User Info Menu

I don’t need another guitar
    I don’t need another guitar
    I don’t need another guitar.
    I don’t need another guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    Last February I traded my 2007 Ibanez GB10 toward an ES-335 as I had bought a Benedetto Bravo Deluxe the year before and wanted to get something a little more "versatile", not that I don't already have enough other guitars that fit that category. Big mistake. Although I like the 335 and am happy with it, I missed that signature tone that I could only achieve with the GB10. I should have just bought the 335 outright. I've missed the GB10 since.

Today I took delivery on a 2020 GB10. With the exception of a little filing to deepen a nut slot, the 2020 appears to be near perfect. Frets are level, well shaped and polished. The finish appears flawless and the grain on the top layer of the spruce laminate top is nice. The volume and tone knobs seem a little different, though. My memory tells me that there was a knurled rubber ring around the knobs on the 2007, but maybe I'm wrong. The knobs on this are all plastic. The pickups on this guitar seem a little hotter than the 2007, but again that is from memory and I'm playing it against the Benedetto. Does seem that the bridge pup is hotter than the 2007 for sure, making it more useful. I haven't yet played the GB10 through my Deluxe Reverb and have only played it through the little Gretsch Electromatic practice amp I have in my family room. That "thunk" I was missing seems to be there. Here's a picture of the GB next to the Benedetto.

Ibanez GB10-9b2c38af-45ee-4960-9aa6-5c804197acf2_1_201_a-jpg

Congratulations on your 2020 GB10! They are indeed great guitars, with a unique look, feel and tone.
    There is something special about them that begs to be played. I enjoy mine both acoustically for sofa playing as well as amplified. As stated by many, the build consistency is amazing. I've owned several GB models over the years and the quality was always there. Simply put, they are fun instruments to play and enjoy.

Play that sunburst beauty it in good health.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    Ibanez GB15, neck pickup
    black hardware
    gb 15s are sweet. I played one when I first started playing guitar and I could tell I liked it even then

User Info Menu

Hi, guys!
    Wanna buy the ibanez gb10. Can you tell me is it a good choise? Cause I haven't had an opportunity to play it by myself. All my knowledge about this guitar is coming from demos

User Info Menu

Art310, I would suggest starting your own thread about this as you will get more response and input that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Art310
    All my knowledge about this guitar is coming from demos
    Would you buy a pair of shoes that I said were a perfect fit for me? Of course not.
    Find one (or ten of them) and play ... only then will you know if it's right for you.