The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I often have the problem with electric guitar with the 3rd - 4th strings ...
    especially 3rd plane around 7-12 frets it is often somehow hotter and those notes have more sustain and it goes out of balance.
    Is it common thing? If so where it comes from...

First I though it was feedback issues with archtops (sometimes it is). Also it could be the issue of construction - but it also happens if the guitar has acoustic presence strong enough .. even great acoustic guitars have weaker-stronger notes...

But when it is solid-body where does it come from? How can be adjusted? Maybe pickup regulation (where possible)?

Thank you

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Shame on me.. I just found some info in the net))
    But still i will appreciate your experience, maybe the topic will be helpful

THE ‘G-ELEPHANT’ IN THE ROOM

I made a bad joke by putting a ‘G’ at the start of ‘elephant’. Sorry.
    The unwound G string is the main problem though. That unassuming little guy has the most output of all the strings on your guitar. Honest.
    So, when you’re adjusting pickups to get a consistent volume across all your strings, that’s the one that needs more attention.
    So, you’ll want to adjust that G way down compared to your other strings.

User Info Menu

Funny, I just adjusted mine up - but it's a flatwound string (TI). Old Strats and Teles have staggered pole piees to deal with string balance.

User Info Menu

Check out this tension calculator by Stringjoy; watch the video, and then play with numbers to see what works!

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Check out this tension calculator by Stringjoy; watch the video, and then play with numbers to see what works!
    Not sure that it would help... I actually work with calculators a lot as I play early music lutes seriously and there are no standardized string sets, neither sadardized scale length... (more or less)

But this case has more to do with steel string and its relation with pickup I guess.. also sympathetic resonances from other strings might affect it at some particular pitches...

User Info Menu

First I'd try to lower the polepiece beneath the G string. If that doesn't help try to find some strings with a larger diameter core, so the D string will be closer in volume to the G string. The volume of individual strings is more dependent on the core wire than on the winding.

User Info Menu

A wound G is very quiet, and needs the polepiece to be higher than any other string. A plain G, however, is the largest, and needs the polepiece to be the lowest. It all depends on the diameter of the core.

Thank you guys!

It is really helpful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    I often have the problem with electric guitar with the 3rd - 4th strings ...
    especially 3rd plane around 7-12 frets it is often somehow hotter and those notes have more sustain and it goes out of balance.
    Is it common thing? If so where it comes from...

First I though it was feedback issues with archtops (sometimes it is). Also it could be the issue of construction - but it also happens if the guitar has acoustic presence strong enough .. even great acoustic guitars have weaker-stronger notes...

But when it is solid-body where does it come from? How can be adjusted? Maybe pickup regulation (where possible)?

Thank you

Hi, J,
    Did you ever adjust the polepiece on "G?" Did it work for you? What type of guitar?
    Play live . . . Marinero

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, J,
    Did you ever adjust the polepiece on "G?" Did it work for you? What type of guitar?
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Yes... thank you
    since then I have more or less handled it.
    The guitar is a Tele Squier with two P90's

The pole is adjustable. I had electric guitars before - they were all archtops and one semi-hollow body... I never noticed that difference in balance so much...
    Maybe because I played mostly at home or in very small venues and there was always a lot of acoustic violume mixed in - so that could have made it more in balance.for the ear/
    With solid body it is all amplified and it became noticeable..

User Info Menu

Thinner G string rather than a fatter cored D. Most plain Gs are too thick, to try to balance the feel rather than balancing magnetically. And as you play up the neck the tone chokes up and intonation gets floofy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara;[URL="tel:1105789"
    1105789[/URL]]Thinner G string rather than a fatter cored D. Most plain Gs are too thick, to try to balance the feel rather than balancing magnetically. And as you play up the neck the tone chokes up and intonation gets floofy.
    yes !
    how fat a plain 3rd would you go ?
    (on 25.5 scale if that matters)

I’ve got a plain 20 on there at the moment
    and yes its floofy up there ....
    I don’t like the sound on chords either
    I might just go back to a wound G
    but I’d like to try a lighter plain G first
    hey , I’ve got time !

User Info Menu

I got myself some Pyramids that come with a wound and a plain G string - ask me again in a few months.