The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Comfy offset body with bevels for your ribs and picking arm. Cheapo nut but a good enough neck profile with excellent fretwork. Narrow tall too, my kinda frets. And I was quite pleased to see the burled wood on the fingerboard when I unwrapped the guitar. Gibson scale but string through, like a Tele and with vintage style Fender tuners, my favorite, on the headstock.

Pickups are just OK. Squier's version of the Fender Atomic HB, which I've played and enjoyed on another guitar. So maybe that's a project for some day.

Squier Toronado in Lake Placid Blue.

Great fun on the cheap-img_20201206_201632-jpg

Great fun on the cheap-img_20201206_201703-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

hit that fretboard with some oil....lightly!

nice guitar..changin pickups will take you anywhere you wanna go....choose wisely

congrats & enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    hit that fretboard with some oil....lightly!
    Olive or 5W30? 8-)

Maybe I'll learn to solder over my Christmas break.

User Info Menu

Beautiful fretboard. I wouldn’t worry too much about oiling it—can do it with your next oil, I mean string, change. I use Gibson lemon fretboard oil.

Soldering is easy (and cheap!). Soldering correctly is hard. But fun to learn!

User Info Menu

Boiled linseed oil- about 1-2 drops for the entire fretboard. Wipe it on, buff it off about a minute later. Lemon stuff is usually just mineral oil with some fragrance, plain mineral oil is another option and a fraction of the cost. It'll also oil up your butcher block beautifully (BLO is not food-safe, as I understand it).

Enjoy the guitar!

User Info Menu

Really wish I could get on with Squier neck shapes because they've done a great job with all the different models.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 50Hz
    Really wish I could get on with Squier neck shapes because they've done a great job with all the different models.
    I hear you. Though the fit and finish is always serviceable and sometimes even excellent, the Squier neck profiles do not wow. Not me anyway.

Having said that, they vary from model and place/time of origin in my limited experience. I had both a Squier Classic Vibe and Fender Professional Jazzmaster at home last month. The necks felt nearly identical. So you'd either like or dislike them both, I think.

User Info Menu

Beautiful! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Those are nice. I thought about getting one, but in the end it was easier to buy/hide a set of Novak JM-stealth pickups for my Squier Jazzmaster instead. The only thing I don't love about the necks are the skunk stripe and medium jumbo frets. I didn't realize those had narrow tall.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    I hear you. Though the fit and finish is always serviceable and sometimes even excellent, the Squier neck profiles do not wow. Not me anyway.

Having said that, they vary from model and place/time of origin in my limited experience. I had both a Squier Classic Vibe and Fender Professional Jazzmaster at home last month. The necks felt nearly identical. So you'd either like or dislike them both, I think.
    Yeah, it's all the modern/slim Fender neck shapes. I'm in the chunky 50s style tele camp. Part of me knows if I played slim ones long enough I'd get used to it cause I learned on a MIM strat with a pretty slim one, so who knows. I still have the strat and play it pretty often, but then it always feels like i'm back where I need to be when the tele comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    Olive or 5W30? 8-)

Maybe I'll learn to solder over my Christmas break.
    2 in 1 of course, my Taylor 810 just loves 2 in 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the necrobumb.

Do you still use the Toronado? They sure look great and fun to play. I've been burned before by cheaper guitars (main problem with Squiers for me was that they had no tuning stability, I had to heavily mod them). I'm curious to hear your feedback!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryLetter23
    Sorry for the necrobumb.

Do you still use the Toronado? They sure look great and fun to play. I've been burned before by cheaper guitars (main problem with Squiers for me was that they had no tuning stability, I had to heavily mod them). I'm curious to hear your feedback!
    I bought a Squier Classic Vibe Bass VI, and it was horrible out of the box. Unplayable. Found this web site about how to fix the problems and now it plays beautifully. The TR adjustment, shim of the neck pocket, and heavier strings were obvious right away. But it's the info about the bridge collars that really made it sing in tune, with better tone, and more sustain.

https://www.instructables.com/Fender...ing-and-inton/
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 09-26-2022 at 03:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Sorry for the necrobumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I bought a Squier Classic Vibe Bass VI, and it was horrible out of the box. Unplayable. Found this web site about how to fix the problems and now it plays beautifully. The TR adjustment, shim of the neck pocket, and heavier strings were obvious right away. But it's the info about the bridge collars that really made it sing in tune, with better tone, and more sustain.

https://www.instructables.com/Fender...ing-and-inton/
    Thank you for the link! I've wanted one of those Bass VI for a long time! Super cool and unique instrument (they always remind me of Glen campbell and the main theme from Twin Peaks).

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Thank you for the link! I've wanted one of those Bass VI for a long time! Super cool and unique instrument (they always remind me of Glen campbell and the main theme from Twin Peaks).

Thanks!
    YW, I found the brass collars right at Home Depot. Pretty sure he's faking it to the recording in the first vid. In the 2nd vid, it looks like the sideman has a customized Bass VI neck with a strat body. Glen actually introduces him on "Bass Guitar" at 1.40.

Last edited by Woody Sound; 09-29-2022 at 07:29 AM.