The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregunit
    Great amp for many things...
    Not enough headroom for me.
    But tone is so subjective and I can only speak for my ears. lol
    If you like it, buy it! and Best wishes
    Did you like or dislike the tone?
    Many say it has a lot of headroom (due to the class A) for the size. You disagree?

User Info Menu

The amp sounds great. It can do jazz if you roll off the treble on both the amp and your guitar. Nice clarity in the mids, a lot of bass (I have it almost all the way rolled off), treble has to be around 5 or 6 max before it gets shrill. I'd say a great value at $650. My issue is it came with a broken reverb tank, and Musician's Friend doesn't have any to exchange it for since it was discontinued. Have a call into Supro about the issue. Hopefully they come through.

User Info Menu

Just an update on the broken reverb issue, MF sent a new amp out. It's fantastic.
    Been using it at practice and gigging and it's excellent for both.

User Info Menu

I'd love to hear some clips of the Supro used for jazz. I always think of Supros in terms of blues, R&B, or classic rock (eg, early Kinks and Led Zep), but reviews indicate the 1622 has substantially more headroom than most Supros are known for and a vintage (midrangey) voice. Being class A with only a single volume control (no gain or master volume), I expect it does what it does and that's either what you want, or it isn't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Angle
    only a single volume control (no gain or master volume).
    Honestly, I don't even know what those do. My three amps have been a Vibro Champ, Princeton, and Supro. So none of them had gain or master volume. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing?

All three sound great, and are some of the best amps I've ever played through. I've played through Marshall stacks, and some bigger Fenders but prefer these.

The one knock on the Supro, IMO, is the speaker is so bass heavy. I have to turn it to 0. I'm not sure what to do about that? I might just leave it, because it sounds good there, but would a speaker upgrade be in order? Just not sure what mod would fix that.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

If you find the speaker bass heavy, maybe try using a eq pedal to compensate?

User Info Menu

Long story short... it's like a Princeton Reverb, but with more mids, less treble, and the same amount of bass. OH- and when you crank it up loud enough to start driving a little, IMO it's overdrive is much nicer than a Princetons, which I find ratty and cheap-sounding. I think the Supro, with it's midd-y tonal profile (meaning it's NOT mid-scooped like blackface Fenders), would work well for jazz tones. (not that the Princeton doesn't, but I'm a Kenny Burrell fan, as well as Charlie Christian, I like fat mids and I cannot lie LOL)

Obligatory picture, albeit with my tele:

Any experience with Supro Tremo-Verb 1622RT?-supro-jpg

User Info Menu

Ooh! That is gorgeous! Does it have record outs?

User Info Menu

No lol. Not even an effects loop. It's a "student" amp, just like the Princeton reverb.

No master volume, bass, treble, verb, speed, depth. That's it. 10" speaker. Heavier than it looks, I wonder if it's got big iron, because it SOUNDS like big iron (amp has a bigger sound than it's size would lead you to believe)

User Info Menu

I have a friend and colleague who has an original Supro like yours that he uses for practice, and recording and the occasional gig. It sounds freakin' great!

Congratulations on a great amp, and play it in good health!