The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

My dream guitar is an es175, I've played a few and love them. They remain outside of my budget however. I've recently been offered a pristine Eastman for €1100, and as luck would have it I've also been offered a Herb Ellis model Gibson (with floating pickup), also in pristine condition for €2200. I've seen some 175's on reverb close to €2200 but that really is my absolute limit. Not sure if you could pick up a good 175 for that price?

Would I be right in saying the Eastman is probably the closer of the two to a 175 sound, given the Herb Ellis has only the floating pickup? Somebody else mentioned that the Herb Ellis is actually quite cheap at €2200 and I might be able to sell it on for a bit more, getting me closer to the 175 price range.

The other option is continue to set money aside for a 175, which is where I'm leaning.

All advice welcome, thanks.
    Last edited by acidskiffle; 12-12-2020 at 09:30 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have never played the ES-165 so I don't have a comparison there. I've played the Eastman; while it looks like an ES-175 it doesn't really sound like one. There is more of an acoustic vibe to the tone; the top is, I think, thinner which may account for that. The neck shape is different than a Gibson, with the nut being 1 3/4" wide. I have to say it was stupidly easy to get a really nice sound on that guitar, but it did not sound like just like an ES-175.

I don't know about prices in Europe, €1100 seems high to me considering they were selling for $875-$1000 new here in the US (a couple years ago) and the Euro is typically worth more than the dollar. But there is VAT which we don't have. €2200 is probably a good price for the ES-165, though.

My general thought is that if there's a particular kind of guitar you want, nothing else is going to really quite satisfy you and you should just save up and buy that.

User Info Menu

I can't speak to the Eastman but like Cunamara says the specs are different from Gibsons including the 1-3/4" nut width. I have an ES-165 floater and it is one of my favorite guitars. I play it often and it is nothing short of a professional level instrument in playability and sound. Many years ago I had an ES-175CC so it may not be a relevant comparison to the ES-165 floater, but they are not very similar guitars. I prefer the ES-165. I also have an ES-165 with a set in 490R humbucker. Again, not a good comparison to the ES-175CC, but I also prefer it over the ES-175CC. The appointments on the ES-165s are higher grade and it seems like the craftsmen that made them realized that ES-165s were not only meant to be a bit higher end than ES-175s, but also different guitars altogether. The fact that they kept ES-165s as one pickup guitars probably meant that they had to make them right and that there would be no masking the sound by spreading out the electronics if that makes sense.

User Info Menu

An Eastman 372 is @ 1200 to 1250 € new, so a second hand for 1100 seems a bit too much. The Es 165s I've seen lately (last year and a half let's say) were considerably lower than 2000 - not sure if one with a floater would be worth a premium.

User Info Menu

I'd consider both guitars overpriced .. but the Eastman is more overpriced than the Gibson imho, so given those two choices I'd go with the ES165

Thanks guys. I'll carry on saving.

User Info Menu

While the Eastman is a great deal and a lot of guitar for the money. I would buy the Gibsonnif you can afford it. Much more solid construction, heavier built guitar as well as best resale when you go to sell it!

Just following on from this, it looks like a Norlin era 175 might be my best bet budget wise. The general consensus seems to be that they are a mixed bag, people often mention that there are a fair few duds floating around. I have never gotten to play one, but I know Kreisberg uses one and it sounds amazing, to me anyway. I can't imagine one being available in my country anytime soon, I've only even seen a handful of 175's here and they have all been reissues. Would it be madness to buy one online?

User Info Menu

I usually hate it when people throw suggestions that the poster didn't ask for, but I'm actually going to to it myself here. Just for inspiration

I waited for a nice archtop to show up used, but given that this is a small country it never happened. Took a chance on a Ibanez PM100 .. Thought I could just sell it when something else showed up ... But hadn't seen an archtop for sale for too long, so decided to just go for it

4 years later the PM100 is still here and I'm happy. I got it for €1350 there in Denmark ... The Ibanez archtops just aren't that popular, so the AF200 and G10 can also be found cheaper than ES175s (seen a couple of GB10s around the 1350 price point too), but I have no experience with those models

User Info Menu

With some beefy strings and an authoritative playing style the Herb Ellis sounds superb. A friend has one and he tends to play gently but when he does hit it as god intended, it sounds fantastic.

User Info Menu

Without thinking buy the Eastman, offering $1000. Later you can sell it $900 or $800 instantly, in case if you can not resist a future Gibson. During you will have a decent instrument, and you also earn experience, worst case you spent $200. Well spent I mean. Also a good chance to ensure (while playing hours, weeks, not only in 30 minutes in a store) you maybe like more the 175-ish than the 165. The 175 spec, with the extra depth, and PU placement is a unique universe :-)

User Info Menu

where are you located? there’s a 90’s es175 here for sale for 2200.It’s black with gold hardware. I’ve been trying to resist it for weeks now.

I am in Ireland, I've been checking various online market places around Europe, thought I had a reissue for 2k but it was gone.

So my journey in search of a 175 ended far sooner than expected, and with something I never thought I'd realistically own, a 1964 ES-175:

1964 Gibson ES-175-img-20201211-wa0013-jpg

Huge thanks to Guitar Giraffe in Madrid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acidskiffle
    So my journey in search of a 175 ended far sooner than expected, and with something I never thought I'd realistically own, a 1964 ES-175:

Huge thanks to Guitar Giraffe in Madrid. ?

WOW ... Not what I expected, but very cool .. A huge congrats from me. That is the Holy Grail!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    WOW ... Not what I expected, but very cool .. A huge congrats from me. That is the Holy Grail!
    Thanks so much, not what I expected either!

User Info Menu

Must be....
    The Luck of the Irish!
    (Sorry it may be a ‘plastic paddy’ thing, but in the US its a common thought!’)

ENJOY that baby!
    d

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Must be....
    The Luck of the Irish!
    (Sorry it may be a ‘plastic paddy’ thing, but in the US its a common thought!’)

ENJOY that baby!
    d
    I'm generally very unlucky so it's payback time!!

User Info Menu

Im Polish Russian.
    I Married Colleen Mary Patrick Flanagan.
    Born on 3/17)))
    Now i put milk in my tea. My Dad would shoot me)))
    you got a great one!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acidskiffle

Huge thanks to Guitar Giraffe in Madrid.
    Fantastic! That's a beauty! Play the heck out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Im Polish Russian.
    I Married Colleen Mary Patrick Flanagan.
    Born on 3/17)))
    Now i put milk in my tea. My Dad would shoot me)))
    you got a great one!!!
    Haha always milky tea! I've lived with many international people over the years who always look at my mugs of tea in horror

User Info Menu

Lol I was raised on the Russian rule for tea... super strong and as much sugar as you can stand )))
    But Barry’s Gold Blend beats the heck out of Russian Caravan. I’m a convert.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread about our lucky friend and that165!)))

User Info Menu

Congrats! HNGD!

Thanks everyone.

User Info Menu

That ES-175 is just stone cold gorgeous. Well worth the wait, I'll wager. Congratulations, and play it in good health!