The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

So after getting caught up in an endless loop of trying to figure out the perfect way of recording the Ozkarpat, I finally said "just screw it" and plugged the guitar directly into my interface, hit record for about 45 seconds and then added a bit of reverb and called it done. No amp, no VST sims, just me and the guitar and I think it sounds just fine.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with that, Jim. The simpler the recording, the better, as far as I am concerned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Nothing wrong with that, Jim. The simpler the recording, the better, as far as I am concerned.
    Thanks. I go back and forth on this topic but this guitar really does have a pretty voice. It doesn't need a lot of help from technology.

User Info Menu

Very nice. Adding electronic embellishments would not improve it.

User Info Menu

sounds good...your playing (finger)style, touch, and the tone you are after are as much about it as any interface or simulations...others may depend on or prefer a bit more grit...to each his own

cheers

User Info Menu

This is strictly a personal opinion and based on my own experiences : when recording tracks that are going to be mixed into a larger arrangement then going direct, i.e. without a real amp/speaker setup is cool and the results I got so far were just fine (using the tools in LOGIC or going direct via my Line6 Helix). However, when the object is a Solo, Duo or Trio performance then I want the analog feel of "the amp in the room" , with a mic in front of it plus maybe some ambient miking for good measure. This setup mustn't be complicated or in any way more time consuming and a specialized mic is also not needed - the venerable SM57 or it's modern equivalent the E609 for front-micing is cheap, easy to use and readily available.
    What one does with the audio file once it's in the DAW is not discussed. With all the software-based options available the sky is the limit ....

User Info Menu

Nice piece of playing, and the sound is perfect. Enjoyed it.

User Info Menu

Perfect playing, perfect sound.
    That’s all you need Jim. The stuff we play doesn’t need anything other than you used.
    I love my GT001. It’s a perfect tool for recording and using it to practice with.
    But, of course I am intrigued by that Yamaha THR30ll which would be nice too and versatile.
    It never ends.. Thank God..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    It never ends.. Thank God..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    So after getting caught up in an endless loop of trying to figure out the perfect way of recording the Ozkarpat, I finally said "just screw it" and plugged the guitar directly into my interface, hit record for about 45 seconds and then added a bit of reverb and called it done. No amp, no VST sims, just me and the guitar and I think it sounds just fine.

Works for me. You can get a different sound, but I'm not sure you can get a better one.

User Info Menu

It seems to me that you sound pretty much identical on all the rigs you've demoed here over the years. I think the sound you go for has almost no amp color to it, and with your light touch you don't push whatever you're using to where color is unavoidable. I imagine you perceive it differently and the differences that I don't perceive loom large for you, but it does seem to me that you get your sound through whatever you play through and you could probably have stopped several iterations ago. But that would be no fun.

John

User Info Menu

IMHO...............doesn't get any cleaner then that.............