The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

I got an Ibanez AS120 that is just great for $400 a few months ago, very very good guitar, and I've owned 335s etc... this is a great guitar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'll add some thoughts.

Great jazz has been played on every type of guitar.

The ergonomics have to work. But, it's hard to tell, even trying out a guitar in a store, how you're going to feel about it in a few months. You can get used to things that seem awkward at first -- and the reverse.

That said, it has to be a prime consideration, because you can't change neck size/shape and scale length without major surgery on the guitar.

There's a certain amount of magic involved. If you have your heart set on an archtop, you probably won't be truly satisfied with anything else.

I've played a lot of jazz gigs with the cheapest Yamaha Pacifica strat copy (the 012) and nobody ever complained. That said, I usually play a Comins GCS-1. Frankly, I prefer the neck on the Yamaha (that's partially because of arthritis), but the Comins sounds better.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 12-17-2020 at 11:29 PM.

User Info Menu

So yes I saw a Yamaha Pacifica Telecaster second hand and they are pretty great... instant GAS. But the fat wide neck is something I don’t want to live without in the foreseeable future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I've been looking, but I've never actually seen one in person. I didn't realize the necks were wide and fat. I wonder if that's true of all the models, assuming there is more than one.
    Sorry I was just not clear, I forgot what neck those Yamaha’s have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I've been looking, but I've never actually seen one in person. I didn't realize the necks were wide and fat. I wonder if that's true of all the models, assuming there is more than one.

The Yamaha's aren't wide and fat

User Info Menu

I LOVE a good cheap archtop. Something with potential at an absurd price. I had a great Epi 175 (non Premium) that turned into a very sweet player after a total rewire and a pu swap to a Parsons Street HB. Probably had less than $500 all in. There was a JZ4 in nearly mint condition on CL REALLY close by yesterday for $275 and the seller mentioned being open to negotiations. I slept on it and regrettably missed out. It’s gone now and I can’t help feeling I could’ve scooped it for $200 and put a rhythm chief on it for a super low budget box

User Info Menu

This isn't necessarily a contribution but, for fun, I counted the Ibanez archtop and thinline guitars on the pages of their Finnish importer, Levytukku. A mere 45 versions! Globally, there's probably more. I can't think of a more committed manufacturer. With a more condensed product offering and clearer nomenclature, they might well discover that "less is more."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    and clearer nomenclature

Haha .. That made me smile. It's not that you're not right, but Ibanez momenclature .. The Ibanez RGR652AHBF anyone?

But agreed .. It's heartwarming to see a manufacturer so committed to archtops and semi-hollow guitars.