The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the Alnico's particularly the Jensen P10r's. The Celestion Gold was nice too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Always nice a test like this, I'll play ;-)

First of all, I am not fond of the basic guitar sound.... would have liked a hollowbody playing some jazz, clouds my judgement a little maybe. Second: I am struck with how a lot of the speakers sound very much alike in this test. Not surprsing since they all follow more or less the same concept I think: ceramic speaker, paper cone. The negative exception is the The Oxford, that was the only one that made me crinch. The other - positive - exception is the Jensen P10R, that sounded a little lighter and airier than the others (except for the Oxford) in a way that I did like.

My top 3 (actually in random order):
    1- Warehouse
    2- Weber Blue Pup
    3- Jensen P10R

Here's what I wrote down while listening thru Sennheiser HD 215 headphones plugged into the headphone out of my HP Chromebook:

Don't Like:
    The Oxford - very scratchy and trebly sounding

All good, but rather similar to my ears:
    Jensen C10R - sounds good. Nice lower/mid punch
    Jupiter - I liked the C10R better, has a slight harshness to it
    Warehouse - like
    Eminence Allesandro - like, les full than Warehouse maybe?
    Weber Ferromax - okay. But nothing special?
    Celestion Greenback - very much like Warehouse and Eminence
    Celestion Creamback - like Greenback, somewhat mellower highs?
    Celestion Gold - like the other Celestions
    Weber Blue Pup - up with the Celestions, I like it a little better I think
    Weber Silver 10 - I don't think I hear a difference with the Celestions

Positive exception:
    Jensen P10R - somewhat lighter and airier sounding, in a good way

User Info Menu

In a few weeks, when I have time to cut the wood for 2 identical cabs, I’ll compare Jensen C8 to Celestine 15/8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Listening through my iMac's speakers, I was struck by the similarity between most. Must do a second round with headphones. As an aside, the Jensen P10R has an AlNiCo magnet. The P10R-F version, made for Fender with a different paper cone (no seam, more ribs) has a mellower tone with less treble sting. A jazzier sound clip, as pointed out by Little Jay, would have been more revealing. The P10R-F might well have outshone the rest. While more sensitive and handling up to 100W, Jensen's 10" Tornado Classic Neo comes close.

I'm looking for the old Fender Bassman chime. The Jensen P10r sounds right. I'd go with something else for a jazz tone.

User Info Menu

Speaker comparisons are tough. I think it’s good to have a known, familiar starting point. I have a Jupiter 10SC in my Victoria Ivy League (mid-thick tweed cleans) and it sounds great. Based on this demo, I would never consider that speaker. I also have the GA10-SC64 in an oversized antique pine 1x10 cab and it sounds so much better with a variety of amps than what I heard in this comparison. A thorough speaker comparison

User Info Menu

Very well done Stevebol, thanks. I think that the ending bass string run is the most telling part, tells you how much bass, or mids, and clarity you can expect, and in some cases - fizziness (Oxford).

I did like the Emi Allesandro, the Blue Pup and the Silver Bell.