The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

Hey Guys I am new to the forums.

I would love to see what some of the members have and wish to share photos for our enjoyment!

-Shane

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello,

Here is my L5N from 1940, delivered on April, same year, to Dave Barbour. Dave used it extensively during the early '40s with the Benny Goodman band.

Who has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-l5n-jpgWho has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-l5n-again-jpg

It's a fantastic instrument in terms of tone, ideally broken up and playability.

Here are pics from the swing era where you can see this guitar. First pic is with Woody Herman and Peggy Lee, second is with Dave Barbour and Peggy Lee only and third is with Dave Barbour alone.

Who has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-dave-barbour-peggy-lee-woody-herman-l5-jpgWho has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-dave-barbour-peggy-lee-1-t690f25g10-jpgWho has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-dave-barbour-l5-png

Last but not least, here is Dave Barbour with this guitar in action with the Benny Goodman band.

I also have a wonderful L5C from 1953, but is this old enough ?

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Hey Fred, what guitar is Dave playing in the video?
    You said he was playing "this" guitar, but wasnt sure what you referring to since he is playing a cutaway with a pickup. Thanks!

That is beautiful!

User Info Menu

Here's my L5N from 1955
    Who has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-l5n-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Hey Fred, what guitar is Dave playing in the video?
    You said he was playing "this" guitar, but wasnt sure what you referring to since he is playing a cutaway with a pickup. Thanks!
    Wrong link. This is the correct one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop

Last but not least, here is Dave Barbour with this guitar in action with the Benny Goodman band.

Awesome clip. I wonder about the much cheaper tailp on the L5.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RYRA

I would love to see what some of the members have and wish to share photos for our enjoyment!

-Shane

User Info Menu

This is going to be an AMAZING Thread.
    Fred, what an extraordinary piece of history!
    Beautiful Buddy!
    Custom XKE, Everything about that room is perfect. The furniture, the stuff.. Its like a step back in time.
    Nice.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Awesome clip. I wonder about the much cheaper tailp on the L5.
    good question, but that looks like an ES-350 w/an L-5 fingerboard.
    it's just a simple plain trapeze, neither of which the L-5 or 350 had

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    good question, but that looks like an ES-350 w/an L-5 fingerboard.
    it's just a simple plain trapeze, neither of which the L-5 or 350 had
    I believe it’s actually a single pickup ES-5. Most pictures I’ve seen it looks like a rosewood board. It’s had a multitude of tail pieces over the course of its life, as well as both black and cream pickup covers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    I believe it’s actually a single pickup ES-5. Most pictures I’ve seen it looks like a rosewood board. It’s had a multitude of tail pieces over the course of its life, as well as both black and cream pickup covers.

Now that you mention it I think I read somewhere that it's a late 40s ES-5 custom. I think the only difference between a custom single pu ES-5 and stock 350 is the board and extra binding on the ES-5
    Speaking of Fred's L-5 it seems Barbour put a plain trapeze on his L-5 too along w/what looks like an Epiphone bridge.
    That may explain why it has a more modern L-5 t.p. now
    Might be interesting to see if the screw holes from the trapeze are under the current t.p. assuming it's the same L-5, though I'd bet it's the same guitar judging by the 'wave' in the spruce top next to the t.p. visible in Fred's pic and this one.

User Info Menu

....just to keep the thread moving..... here’s my ‘57 L5CESN:
    Who has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-6c26849a-fd0e-46ec-8d97-fab113b84f9b-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    This is going to be an AMAZING Thread.
    Fred, what an extraordinary piece of history!
    Beautiful Buddy!
    Custom XKE, Everything about that room is perfect. The furniture, the stuff.. Its like a step back in time.
    Nice.
    JD
    This thread is already exceeding my expectations. Looking forward to more!

User Info Menu

I’m waiting for Mike from NJ to post my big “one that got away”.......39 L5P with a CC.

User Info Menu

he hasn't posted in months

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    ....just to keep the thread moving..... here’s my ‘57 L5CESN:
    Who has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-6c26849a-fd0e-46ec-8d97-fab113b84f9b-jpeg
    Gorgeous!

User Info Menu

he hasn't posted in months
    Covid drinking has my mental calendar shattered

User Info Menu

'48 L-5P with some additions:
    Attached Images Attached Images Who has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-l-5p_8752-jpg 

User Info Menu

Blonde L-5 content I've got some of that. Though, there are some interlopers along with my 1939 L-5.
    Who has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-93708962-a344-4702-a300-99568ff822f6-jpg
    Who has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-6693708a-d18b-48c7-b8a6-ae60501b5d78-jpg
    ... if you'd call a 1932 L-5, a 1937 ES-150, and a 1939 EH-185 interlopers....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Blonde L-5 content I've got some of that. Though, there are some interlopers along with my 1939 L-5.
    Who has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-93708962-a344-4702-a300-99568ff822f6-jpg
    Who has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-6693708a-d18b-48c7-b8a6-ae60501b5d78-jpg
    ... if you'd call a 1932 L-5, a 1937 ES-150, and a 1939 EH-185 interlopers....
    I played Sid Margolis' 39 (or so) blonde L5 many years ago. The sound was so resonant, it sounded like reverb. I still think it's the best sounding guitar I ever played -- and that includes a number of D'Angelicos, D'Aquistos and other "boutique" instruments.

User Info Menu

Now that you mention it I think I read somewhere that it's a late 40s ES-5 custom. I think the only difference between a custom single pu ES-5 and stock 350 is the board and extra binding on the ES-5
    Speaking of Fred's L-5 it seems Barbour put a plain trapeze on his L-5 too along w/what looks like an Epiphone bridge.
    That may explain why it has a more modern L-5 t.p. now
    Might be interesting to see if the screw holes from the trapeze are under the current t.p. assuming it's the same L-5, though I'd bet it's the same guitar judging by the 'wave' in the spruce top next to the t.p. visible in Fred's pic and this one.

Yep! That' the same instrument. Thanks a million for digging out this picture I never saw before.

In addition, my 1953 L5C, before and after being equipped with a Biltoft floater.

Who has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-l5c-jpgWho has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-l51953-jpg

User Info Menu

Barbour had a number of nice guitars, ES-150 w Christian pu as well I believe. He was apparently a tinkerer, most of his guitars appear to be custom ordered and or modified, seems he favored simple lighter trapeze tailpieces, very interesting, doubt he'd have swapped out the original heavy ones for no reason...the.ES-5 has a Van Eps damper in the above video.

User Info Menu

"Hey Eddie, c'mon in and bring your 'music box' along."

Who has some great photos of old L5s or Super 400s?-lang-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RYRA

-Shane
    Hi Shane, welcome to the Forum, the best of its kind on the Internet., and a great introduction enabling
    some of our illustrious members showing clips from yesteryear, we hope that you enjoy it here. As
    you see, ask a sensible question and we are inundated with keen responses.

Kind regards Silverfoxx aka 007