The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

P90s are cool .. especially in a jazz context. If you wish to play country then you might prefer the standard thinner sounding tele pickups as P90s to me can feel a bit clunky, but if overall they're pretty awesome!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you can swing a CV, do it. They're every bit a "real tele," and imho, some of the best value out there in a guitar period.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    If you can swing a CV, do it. They're every bit a "real tele," and imho, some of the best value out there in a guitar period.
    Thank you!

that CV thinline I tried was fine but when I plugged in MIM Standard that tone just had another dimension.
    The at the store said that CV solid body would be close to that MIM tone.. but they did not have one at the moment so I could not check and compare.

Ive owned about 6 telecasters and my fave is the lite relic Nash brand with Lawler pups but. they are pricy but you can try them at Humbucker music for 5 days with return policy. For me except for a real fifties model I like these best and plan to keep mine the rest of my life with no upgrades or envy of other ones.But they are in the low 2K range so thats a lot of cheese burgers! But for me its a good investment that brings great joy and tone and feel. So if that sounds good to you try Humbucker Music contact info is online and look at the many choices you have and try risk free!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Why?
    Dunno really. Just that I’d like to support US Eu and Jap builders. But my new favourites are Taiwan and Korea built , and I just heard an Epi 339 sounding really good so maybe time to get over myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    Dunno really. Just that I’d like to support US Eu and Jap builders. But my new favourites are Taiwan and Korea built , and I just heard an Epi 339 sounding really good so maybe time to get over myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chinese quality has gone up a lot! The only thing that worries me are the extreme low prices, which means Chinese workers must earn next to nothing. Probably not much going on for health insurance, safety on the workfloor, social aid and retirement provisions either.... I hope buying Chinese does not mean contributing to the exploitation of the workers.....

I just watched Brent Mason with Mike Stern in Nashville on YT. It doesnt get much better for modern jazz tele pickers than those two IMO !!! And a really good interveiw with Johnny Hiland who has just moved away from Music City. He shares that being a pro guitar hero isnt as fun or easy as some might think. Good Stuff!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Chinese quality has gone up a lot! The only thing that worries me are the extreme low prices, which means Chinese workers must earn next to nothing. Probably not much going on for health insurance, safety on the workfloor, social aid and retirement provisions either.... I hope buying Chinese does not mean contributing to the exploitation of the workers.....
    IMO trying to figure out whether workers in other countries are being exploited or not is not a simple proposition, at least when you’re talking about high-quality products. (With exceptions, of course.) I suspect many instrument makers in China regardless of their hourly wage have more social safety nets in place than similar American (non-unionized) workers.

I would also argue that NOT buying a foreign product such as a guitar because of this concern hurts, not helps, the workers in question.

I recall reading somewhere that <25% of the final instrument cost was labor. That must be much less for a solid-body, mass-produced product like a Tele-style or LP-style. There are great economies of scale in Asian companies, with modern production techniques, that smaller manufacturers just couldn’t compete with.

Came across this article:

Guitaronomics: How Much Does it Actually Cost to Build a | Reverb News