The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I've been experimenting with new video software (Video Notepad) as well as recording the Ozkarpat. Ultimately the easiest (and most successful) method was direct from the Milkman.

Since the idea was both to have some fun with the new video software and show off the guitar, it's all photos and music instead of showing me playing. If nothing else, it was fun to produce and hopefully it's a fair representation of what the guitar sounds like.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice - thanks, Jim! Big, round sound, and your touch is always magic!

User Info Menu

Sounds like Jim Soloway!

User Info Menu

Sounds great Jim. It's a keeper.

User Info Menu

Beautiful!

User Info Menu

That’s a beautiful sound and playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Nice - thanks, Jim! Big, round sound, and your touch is always magic!
    Thanks. I'm having a really good time with this guitar. I've never played anything quite like it and it checks an awful lot of boxes, comfortable body size but deep enough (3") to have a strong acoustic voice, extra width at the bottom of the fingerboard with a nut width over 1.8", single neck pickup (always a plus in my mind), 24.75" scale length (which I've not had in a few years), flattish radius, very stable tuning. Really just a wonderful guitar by a very clever builder. I got it for such a great price that I considered it to be worth a try if only just for a lark and it's turned out to be one of the best guitars I've ever owned.

As for the "magic" touch ... it's been an interesting (and challenging) time for that. I use my index nail for a lot of what would normally be played with a flat pick. About 10 days ago I cut it down to the quick on a food grater. It made my index finger almost unusable for anything other than arpeggiated chords. It's still not back all the way. I really wanted to play though so I focused on developing some new techniques using my middle finger. At first it was really clumsy and sounded wrong. Now it's starting to feel natural and the tone and touch are pretty much back to where they were before. It's actually kind of exciting. When the index nail is all the way back I'll have a couple of new tricks in the tool kit.

And thanks to all for the kind words. Between this guitar and the Milkman/Greenbased Design rig it's been a great couple of months for gear for me. THis may be the best low volume setup I've ever owned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway

As for the "magic" touch ... it's been an interesting (and challenging) time for that. I use my index nail for a lot of what would normally be played with a flat pick. About 10 days ago I cut it down to the quick on a food grater. It made my index finger almost unusable for anything other than arpeggiated chords. It's still not back all the way. I really wanted to play though so I focused on developing some new techniques using my middle finger. At first it was really clumsy and sounded wrong. Now it's starting to feel natural and the tone and touch are pretty much back to where they were before. It's actually kind of exciting. When the index nail is all the way back I'll have a couple of new tricks in the tool kit.

And thanks to all for the kind words. Between this guitar and the Milkman/Greenbased Design rig it's been a great couple of months for gear for me. THis may be the best low volume setup I've ever owned
    Youch! That hurts just thinking about it!

User Info Menu

Now comes the hard part for all of us gear nuts? Sticking with it for the long run,LOL !

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me!

User Info Menu

Jim,
    Gorgeous sound and wonderful playing.
    It seems you connected very quickly with this guitar. From personal experience, this is not always the case.
    It is cool that you are always willing to try new things. We are not kids any more. Complacency is an easy trap to fall into at this stage, but you have a lot of life in you man. Nice going.
    Thanks for showing us new things.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Jim,
    Gorgeous sound and wonderful playing.
    It seems you connected very quickly with this guitar. From personal experience, this is not always the case.
    It is cool that you are always willing to try new things. We are not kids any more. Complacency is an easy trap to fall into at this stage, but you have a lot of life in you man. Nice going.
    Thanks for showing us new things.
    Joe D
    Thanks Joe.

It's true, I bonded with this guitar almost immediately. I did the usual things I do to every guitar before I dug in: put on my strings, made the usual adjustment to the pickup height but after that it was just a matter of playing it. There's a lot that feels very familiar (and much of that drove the purchase). The nut width and fingerboard radius are almost identical to my blue Gosling, the single PAF-style humbucker. But beyond that, there is also a lot that is very different and just makes a lot of sense. The small lower bout coupled with the 3" depth and the beveled edges make it incredibly comfortable for me. I never feel like I'm having to accommodate the body (which I almost always feel when I'm playing a traditional archtop) and tonally it's just absolutely in my wheelhouse.

It's gotten 100% of my playing time since it arrived and I don't see that changing any time soon. Coupled with the Milkman head and the little 1x10 cab, the tone in the room is just glorious. It really doesn't matter how loud or quiet I have it, it's just always seems to make me smile.

User Info Menu

Their you go. It’s perfect for you. Which makes you want to play it. And you play more as a result.
    Happy for you buddy.
    JD