The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Just got myself an Eastman AR372 and want to swap yout the pups. I know it will never be an ES175 but, wich will get closest a set of 57's or SD antiquity's ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are many, many great pickup makers out there doing that type of pickup! Cost, like all gear, goes from relatively little to quite a lot!

Besides SD, check out Amalfitano; JM Rolph; Lollar; Bare Knuckle; Porter; etc.

Happy hunting!

User Info Menu

From that selection the Antiquities. I have them in a 335 type (Heritage) and 57s in a 335. But both could work. Hard to go wrong.

User Info Menu

I put a DiMarzio PAF 36th anniversary in my AR371 and could not be happier. Really captures the ES175 vibe.

User Info Menu

Why don't you just get a feel for your new guitar and its pickups and find out if you may like what you hear?

Thnks Tomo, I have already played it a few hours and decided I want to make that move.

NIce list of course, I must say I already have a set of 57'S in an Ibanez AF95AYS that is destined to be dedicated to a Prog rock thing ( Early YES mainly )
    SO I wan wondering if I should leave the 57's there and get something ofr the 372 or Take the 57's and put PRails in the IB.

User Info Menu

I have a Benedetto A6 on the shelf since two years, and I literally afraid of change my Eastman 371 pu to that, so love the current sound. It may improve, but what if not?

well, if not an improvement, just go back in seems non ?

User Info Menu

If you slap in a new pickup and don't like it, change it back.

However, before going through the hassle of changing out pickups, electronics, etc. I make a point of making sure I have tried all the possibilities I can in terms of pickup height, polepiece adjustment, high versus low capacitance cable to the amp, etc. At least 90% of the time that has done the trick, But I also enjoy experimenting with different pickups, pots and caps, etc. to tweak and tailor the sound so that in and of itself is a form of entertainment for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hebaton
    well, if not an improvement, just go back in seems non ?
    Exactly... but still this involves of change, maybe twice. And also the frustration of decide, which is far from an exact thing. One day I like more my solid state amp, month later my tube, For one tune I like the one, for other the opposite and so on.

Also, I have a little irrational fear, that when changing back, I will not get back the exact sound I like noe.

I think there just might be medication for that :-)

I do hate the work involved tough, no fun in the procedure for me, but I appreciate the result...when it is the wanted result...

User Info Menu

There's another possibilty with the advantages of being able to apply it to several guitars / amps and not to have to dive into the electronics of a hollow body guitar:

Yep ! heard about that and heard people actually getting very good results with that sort of thing...
    But I am of the "less is more" school of thought when it comes to signal path.

User Info Menu

There are many great pickup builders, but they are pretty expensive. I think Classic 57s are a relative cheap option to steer your Eastman towards a more Gibson-esque sound.

I love them in my ES-333, they are very versatile and flexible and excel in many music styles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    If you slap in a new pickup and don't like it, change it back.

However, before going through the hassle of changing out pickups, electronics, etc. I make a point of making sure I have tried all the possibilities I can in terms of pickup height, polepiece adjustment, high versus low capacitance cable to the amp, etc. At least 90% of the time that has done the trick, But I also enjoy experimenting with different pickups, pots and caps, etc. to tweak and tailor the sound so that in and of itself is a form of entertainment for me.
    The easiest change (cable) grabbed my attention :-)
    Talking about reasonable lenght for room, say 3m how can I find out which cable to order online for low and and high capacity, so I can compare the difference?

THere are boutiques cable builders out there and beware of some "snake oil" at outrageaous prices but there are good quality cables that make a difference, Mogami gold is one I know and I am sure there are many others...