The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

Confirming that it noise is unique to one guitar is good. You might try other experiments to get clues.
    Is the noise the same in all pickup switch positions?
    How does the noise change as you roll each volume pot down?

I have an Ibanez AF105 that’s great at rejecting hum (60 & 120 Hz), but if dimmers or noisy powerlines can come through as a buzz. If I switch to both pickups and play with the two volume controls I can find a blend that bucks the buzz. I haven’t figured out how to totally eliminate the buzz, but it’s not that bad—much better than single coil pickups.

But you describe your noise as a hum. Is it really more of a buzz?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d115
    Just realized if I hold the guitar in a certain position, a non playable one, the hum is gone.

That sounds rather like picking up magnetic interference. Is the pickup actually hum bucking? You can check with a tuning fork whether both coils are active.

Another test is whether the hum is maximum with the guitar volume up full. Electric interference often peaks when the volume is down by 6dB at which point the guitar output impedance is greatest, though this is not always the case.

Electric interference can be caused by the amp not being grounded. Without a ground, the amp chassis will typically float at half of the line voltage. Some guitars don't react well to that.