The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I just bought an AF95 on ebay. Certain notes at around the 5-8th position give a buzzing overtone with the loudness of the notes somewhat muted. The action is high enough that its not fret buzz. The pickguard is floating and is at the same height as the top of the bridge pickup as opposed to resting on the pickup ring, its not touching anything. When moving the pickups i notice the buzz changes but doesn't go away. I play mainly acoustically and sound of the guitar is really disappointing. I've heard people replacing the pickup springs with silicone tubing? What diameter would i need? Also how do i know how long to cut. I've never taken a pickup out before. does the spring stay compressed so i know how long to cut the tubing? I cant seem to find any documentation online about doing this on my guitar.

Also, I don't think its an issue but ill mention it anyway. While the guitar is in my lap, looking down, there is hairline crack in the finish where the neck is joined to the body. Im talking hairline. Its this a common issue or could it be a warning sign the the guitar was damaged in shipment? Yes, I'm neurotic. lol.

Thank you all.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi
    You can try jamming a pick or two, or some cardboard or such between the pickup ring and the pickup cover. I’m not saying that IS your problem but I’ve had that happen on an AF95FM and even my AF200. It stopped on the 200 when I replaced the neck pup with a Fralin Modern PAF, it’s so tight in the ring it’s not an issue.
    Ive had picks jammed into the neck pickup of my L5 for thirty years to stop that buzz)))
    of course try a straight edge on the frets all the way up the neck.
    I have also used double faced tape to hold the pickguard down.
    As to a finish crack at the neck joint, pretty common, magnifying glass will prove if it’s surface or deep. Either way a drop or two of crazy glue will stop any finish crack spreading.
    As usual, IMHO and YMMV.
    Good luck...
    dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d115
    I just bought an AF95 on ebay. Certain notes at around the 5-8th position give a buzzing overtone with the loudness of the notes somewhat muted. The action is high enough that its not fret buzz. The pickguard is floating and is at the same height as the top of the bridge pickup as opposed to resting on the pickup ring, its not touching anything. When moving the pickups i notice the buzz changes but doesn't go away. I play mainly acoustically and sound of the guitar is really disappointing. I've heard people replacing the pickup springs with silicone tubing? What diameter would i need? Also how do i know how long to cut. I've never taken a pickup out before. does the spring stay compressed so i know how long to cut the tubing? I cant seem to find any documentation online about doing this on my guitar.

Also, I don't think its an issue but ill mention it anyway. While the guitar is in my lap, looking down, there is hairline crack in the finish where the neck is joined to the body. Im talking hairline. Its this a common issue or could it be a warning sign the the guitar was damaged in shipment? Yes, I'm neurotic. lol.

Thank you all.
    Buzz is all too common with set in pickups.
    The pickup is mounted in the trim ring. To get to the springs, you have to remove the four screws on the trim ring. The trim ring along with the pickup can now come out of the guitar. The spring is under tension between the pickup trim ring and the pickup mount. I would suggest raising the pickup as high as you can for a acoustic test. This would be done with the 2 adjust screws on the trim ring. When you raise the pickup you put the spring under more tension. See if this quiets down your problem. We can go from there..

User Info Menu

yes this pu ring buzzing thing is very
    common ....
    with two people it’s fairly easy to diagnose
    one plays the guitar the other presses and dampens down the various parts of the
    pickups/rings to find the offending items

then pack them out with tape or cardboard
    etc

no biggie ....

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

I will look into it when i get home from work.

User Info Menu

Surgical tubing is an excellent sub for springs. Stew-Mac sells kits. I like my pups low for tonal reasons, so I trim the tubing 1/8" shorter than the screw itself, jus enough to allow the screw to interface with the mounting bracket. The tubing is sufficiently flexible to allow considerable range of height adjustment. Take great care ind dis- and re- assembly, as it is a pain. But do it right the first time, and you'll be pretty much set for a long, long time.

You might also check the bridge; tune-o-matic types sometimes have wires or loose screws that can resonate. I damp with bits of cork or felt, or wax or whatnot to damp unwanted vibrations.

Ibanez makes great guitars at many price points that punch well above their weight class. I've had many, and still have a AG-95 that I really like.

Problem 90% solved! It was the pickup covers. A couple of pick pieces seems to have done the trick. Buzzing pretty much gone. Oddly though, my af75 has a slightly better acoustic tone. Putting new strings on the 95 this weekend.

I looked at the "crack" I spoke of under a jewelers loupe. I don't see any wood cracked. I'm thinking it's just a flaw I. The finish. I'm not going to worry about it
    I paid $400 plus tax for it. I'm happy.

Thank you again for your help.

User Info Menu

There are many, many things on an archtop that can buzz, especially an amplified one. The internal wires can buzz against the back or top. Loose nuts on the headstock and elsewhere can buzz. The wires in some tune-o-matic saddles can do it. I've had worn potentiometer shafts buzz. It can take a lot of time and effort to find some causes, but it's worth it in the end.

User Info Menu

I gather most of your buzzes are from the electronic components, but here’s a list of other common sources on acoustic guitars.

FRETS.COM Buzz Pages

User Info Menu

Hey d115 glad the pick stuff trick worked. Sort of like Pat Metheny’s toothbrush or Barney Kessel electrical tape and bondo on the back. I like improv fixes, always have a cool look to them.
    Check out Jake Reichbart’s most recent video posted (All the Things You Are) for the most awesome ‘fixed ‘ Ibanez. Blue tape on a black body....oh yea!
    d

User Info Menu

I few years ago I acquired an amp in a Fender-tweed style cabinet that had a slight buzz above a certain volume. I finally determined it was a slight gap between the back cover panel and the chassis. I loosed the screws a bit, slid a pick in the gap and retightened. No more buzz. The pick is still there, doing its job. :-)