The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I am testing the audio quality sound for webcamera.I,ve recorded directly from AER apm and Koss mic.
    what do you think about it...?
    Best
    Kris
    Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds great I think! Very nice jazz tone, nice and round.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Sounds great I think! Very nice jazz tone, nice and round.
    Thanks Little Jay...I will start to make video next week.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Kris, that sounds really good! It is a webcam mic? Wow.
    The good thing about them (outside of not having to deal with a Mic) is they usually record in stereo.
    What web cam is it if you don’t mind me asking?
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Great playing—lovely fluid lines.

I think the signal is too high. I hear digital clipping on the louder passages. It doesn’t sound like guitar amp distortion. I’d suggest leaving more headroom when you record. You can raise the level later if it’s too a bit low, but if it’s clipped there’s no way to recover.

If you don’t hear the clipping in the original file, I guess it’s possible that it’s clipping in my player (an iPad), but no commercial recordings ever clip for me. I think commercial recordings usually leave just a bit of headroom in case some playback devices can’t handle full volume level. I usually normalize my recordings to peak at 2 or 3 dB down for that reason, but I’m not sure what the pros do.

More info in headroom.
    Sweetwater—What You Need to Know About Headroom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Kris, that sounds really good! It is a webcam mic? Wow.
    The good thing about them (outside of not having to deal with a Mic) is they usually record in stereo.
    What web cam is it if you don’t mind me asking?
    Joe D
    Hi Joe D,
    Koss mic -I've bought it few years ago.It is small mic for computers.
    Web camera is not expensive...about $20 I do not see any name on it.
    thanks
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Great playing—lovely fluid lines.

I think the signal is too high. I hear digital clipping on the louder passages. It doesn’t sound like guitar amp distortion. I’d suggest leaving more headroom when you record. You can raise the level later if it’s too a bit low, but if it’s clipped there’s no way to recover.

If you don’t hear the clipping in the original file, I guess it’s possible that it’s clipping in my player (an iPad), but no commercial recordings ever clip for me. I think commercial recordings usually leave just a bit of headroom in case some playback devices can’t handle full volume level. I usually normalize my recordings to peak at 2 or 3 dB down for that reason, but I’m not sure what the pros do.

More info in headroom.
    Sweetwater—What You Need to Know About Headroom
    Hi KirkP,
    Thanks.
    I think I have to buy a new video recorder software.I use old Movie maker-it is very simple/win 7/.
    I think I can work more about sound/I mean audio/ with more poffesional video soft.
    Thanks a lot for suggestions.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

I occasionally use Movie Maker for editing videos, sometimes dubbing audio files over a videos or slide shows. But I didn’t know it was possible to record or edit an audio file on it.

Since you apparently are using a PC, I’d suggest you try Audacity, which is freeware.
    AudacityTeam.org
    I do all my audio editing on it. I haven’t tried recording with it, but I’m sure it’s possible and will help insure that the peaks never exceed the headroom. There’s a bit of a learning curve, but it’s worth it. I only learned to use the basic functions add two or three of the most useful plugins.

But the software can’t recover a clean signal if it was clipped before it got there. You need to make sure the audio interface to your PC doesn’t ever clip. When you play back the raw recording it may seem a little too quiet, but then you can bring the level up to listenable volume in the audio software, which in Audacity is called “normalize.”

User Info Menu

I occasionally use Movie Maker for editing videos, sometimes dubbing audio files over a videos or slide shows. But I didn’t know it was possible to record or edit an audio file on it.

Since you apparently are using a PC, I’d suggest you try Audacity, which is freeware.
    AudacityTeam.org
    I do all my audio editing on it. I haven’t tried recording with it, but I’m sure it’s possible and will help insure that the peaks never exceed the headroom. There’s a bit of a learning curve, but it’s worth it. I only learned to use the basic functions add two or three of the most useful plugins.

But the software can’t recover a clean signal if it was clipped before it got there. You need to make sure the audio interface to your PC doesn’t ever clip. When you play back the raw recording it may seem a little too quiet, but then you can bring the level up to listenable volume in the audio software, which in Audacity is called “normalize.”
    Thanks.I think about Movavi Video Editor.
    It has more audio options including"normalize".
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

AudacityTeam.org

+1 for Audacity

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    +1 for Audacity
    Audacity is a very nice free soft.

User Info Menu

The tone of it is very nice, but I agree with KirkP that there's clipping. So I you should bring the levels down a bit. What guitar are you playing on this?

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    The tone of it is very nice, but I agree with KirkP that there's clipping. So I you should bring the levels down a bit. What guitar are you playing on this?

John
    Hi John,
    I am playing hollow-body Hamadyk guitar on this.
    There's clipping...I know.I am working on new set up for few days.
    Thanks
    Kris

User Info Menu

I did another recording on Stratocaster...I hope without clipping...;-)