The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Anyone played with this? On YT it’s all guys with a ton of delay and reverb gunning the amp: but of course I’m interested in the Charlie Christian vibes.

Tbh I might be moving in a Line 6 HX Stomp direction.... It seems like a good unit, small and light and a lot of players seem to be into it. An EH185 amp model adds to the interest for me...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are many more useful preamp models in that unit and coupled with the various cab/speaker choices you will find a combination that should come very close to your ideal. I am quite happy with a Tweed Deluxe type pre (with a little eq, reverb and very light compression), running it directly into the return input of my Bud or - in case I need more power - my Evans RE-200

User Info Menu

I had set up a clean jazz patch with the Roland JC120 model (no hiss haha) but I did not do it with the EH185. I will try tonight and report.

User Info Menu

That seems like an awfully complicated way to achieve that sound, if it even gets the sound.
    The Junior Barnyard is a really simple solution.

Actually, I did recording session yesterday with both my actual 1939 EH-185, and I also split my signal and ran a DI from the Junior Barynard. I was only using the DI for some additional signal to monitor in my phones, but it sounded great to fill out the sound a bit.

Here's a soundcloud playlist with just the mic, just the DI, a 50/50 mix, and then 80% mic with 20% DI.

It's not identical of course, and one is coming out of a speaker and one isn't. But still....

User Info Menu

Yeah in an ideal world there’s be someone who could A/B this with a Junior Barnyard and maybe the real thing...

but I am aware I am a man of ... particular tastes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    That seems like an awfully complicated way to achieve that sound, if it even gets the sound.
    The Junior Barnyard is a really simple solution.

Actually, I did recording session yesterday with both my actual 1939 EH-185, and I also split my signal and ran a DI from the Junior Barynard. I was only using the DI for some additional signal to monitor in my phones, but it sounded great to fill out the sound a bit.

Here's a soundcloud playlist with just the mic, just the DI, a 50/50 mix, and then 80% mic with 20% DI.

It's not identical of course, and one is coming out of a speaker and one isn't. But still....
    thats not really the point for me. the Line 6 does a number of useful things; the EH185 sound is more a bonus than a necessity. I was surprised to see it on the list TBH.

(I think Josh Homme uses an EH185. Some players seem to like it for a real filthy dirtbag blues sound, so I’m not sure if emulating the clean/breakup sound is a a priority for Line 6.)

I have to say the typical demos online don’t do much to give me a real impression of the quality or otherwise of the amp sims and IR’s, which is a shame.

User Info Menu

I had no idea you'd be interested in all the other stuff an HX Stomp can do, so... [shrug?].
    There's plenty of people who want a simple thing but find an overly complicated way to achieve it, apologies since that's not what you're doing.

But yes, of course, +1 to the idea that it'd be great to have more useful online gear demos.
    You're 100% about that.

I just saw my amp repair guy for a service before the session, and EH-185's are his favorite amp of all time, played through the mic channel and cranked.

Besides Josh Homme, Billy Gibbons also uses them from time to time.
    Also, my amp guy was saying that he lent one to Doyle Bramhall, who took it to a Clapton session, and Clapton wanted to buy the amp, so that amp guy doesn't lend them out anymore.

User Info Menu

Clapton, eh? Aha, interesting!

I know a few very satisfied Jr Barnyard owners, so it's definitely something I'd like to investigate at some point...

As live music isn't a thing for me right now, my main issue is just getting a good recorded amp tones beyond clean blackface sounds. (My SansAmp isn't great for this...) I'd like a compact pedalboard/fly rig too for when the gigs come back, and the Helix seems to do both, which would save money on Logic plug ins etc. Throw in a good Charlie C tone and, well, take my money!

We'll see. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    I had set up a clean jazz patch with the Roland JC120 model (no hiss haha) but I did not do it with the EH185. I will try tonight and report.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

I've owned several EH185/150s and various other early Gibson amps. I don't think the patch sounds anything like any of them. It's a OK patch (my Firehawk 1500 had it) but nothing I thought was great. I ended up with a Boss GT1000 and if you take the time to really tweak it can get almost any tone you can think of. If you never really used Roland gear in the past they'll be a little bit of learning curve.

BTW, a bunch of jazz guys (and I'm assuming in here) used the Boss GT100 which I still use primarily. Usually with a Rivera Jazz Rec but sometimes alone directly into the board.

Every processor is the best thing ever until the new ones come out. For 200ish you can get a used Firehawk that sounds decent. It's not a Helix but costs considerably less used.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Anyone played with this? On YT it’s all guys with a ton of delay and reverb gunning the amp: but of course I’m interested in the Charlie Christian vibes.

Tbh I might be moving in a Line 6 HX Stomp direction.... It seems like a good unit, small and light and a lot of players seem to be into it. An EH185 amp model adds to the interest for me...

User Info Menu

i just looked at the Hx Stomp manual ....
    wow it’s a pretty deep unit ....

I know myself , I could spend too longwhile trying to programm that .... I’d get multiple option anxiety ....

but good luck to those who can
    it looks like an amazing device

all those amp sims
    and fx and speaker can sims
    and a 60sec looper

(couldn't see the EH185 amp listed
    in manual V3 but hey)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    i just looked at the Hx Stomp manual ....
    wow it’s a pretty deep unit ....

I know myself , I could spend too longwhile trying to programm that .... I’d get multiple option anxiety ....

but good luck to those who can
    it looks like an amazing device

all those amp sims
    and fx and speaker can sims
    and a 60sec looper

(couldn't see the EH185 amp listed
    in manual V3 but hey)
    Page 29;
    https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4112b...English%20.pdf

It's the 'Stone Age 185'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    There are many more useful preamp models in that unit and coupled with the various cab/speaker choices you will find a combination that should come very close to your ideal. I am quite happy with a Tweed Deluxe type pre (with a little eq, reverb and very light compression), running it directly into the return input of my Bud or - in case I need more power - my Evans RE-200

Yes. I didn't like my POD Go at first until I tried the preamp instead of amp. It's redundant to use an amp setting when going into an amp. To my ears, the various Tweed and Deluxe preamps sound very good for modelers.
    the Helix, Stomp and POD Go are all basically the same I think as far as sound quality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol;[URL="tel:1077651"
    1077651[/URL]]Yes. I didn't like my POD Go at first until I tried the preamp instead of amp. It's redundant to use an amp setting when going into an amp. To my ears, the various Tweed and Deluxe preamps sound very good for modelers.
    the Helix, Stomp and POD Go are all basically the same I think as far as sound quality.
    does the little pocket pod sound as good ?
    (i see it has some of the same models)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    does the little pocket pod sound as good ?
    (i see it has some of the same models)
    I don't know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Also, my amp guy was saying that he lent one to Doyle Bramhall, who took it to a Clapton session, and Clapton wanted to buy the amp, so that amp guy doesn't lend them out anymore.
    was it amphole bob?

User Info Menu

I just spent some time making a patch with the 185 preamp. Nice. With a touch of room verb it has a CC vibe.

User Info Menu

I did too. Telecaster with TI flats and neck Joe Barden double rail pickup and another tele with a noiseless P90 design neck pickup. I listened to some you tube clips of the original amp when played clean and in slight overdrive and I would fail a blind test between my patch and the original amp recordings (which may say more about my ears but...) There are many more controls (mids, sag, bias, filtering) in the amp modeling than there are on the actual amp, I set everything close to the middle except the master and channel volume which were set to close to max. The cab modeling was the original field coil. I did not change it. I played into a nice headphone set.