The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Yeah, it seems to me a perfect gigging guitar. No frills, few knobs. I already have a 175 by the way. Does it sound the same like one?

DB
    I played an ES-175D for about 40 years before I bought the 165. Then I played the 165 on hundreds of gigs for about 5 years. I felt that the 165 sounded very similar to my vintage 175’s. It is basically the same guitar, with one less pickup. A great gigging guitar.
    Keith

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    even the epi zephyr regent, which a few years ago was around the 500$ mark, is now being listed for around 1k$ and more!!

cheers
    And that's a splendid guitar, way more than you pay for it. I put a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat in mine and wow, it's a favorite. Feels like the VOS ES175 as to weight (but the body is mahogany). It's a lot of guitar for the money.Gibson ES-165 Herb Ellis question-ezrr-1364a-jpg

User Info Menu

There's one for sale at Larkstreetmusic.com

User Info Menu

My very first 'real' archtop was a 90's, heritage cherry ES-165 Herb Ellis. It belonged to a good friend who sold it to me for about a grand, what I thought was a small fortune. That ES-165 could cop every jazz tone I ever had in my head up to that time, and plenty of that illusive 'thunk'.

The 165 is long gone, but I missed it. When a deal came along recently on an '89 ES-175 Mahogany back, I jumped at the chance to own another simple laminate jazz box. Tonally it sounds close to that old red 165, but better, more refined. Each guitar is different, even close cousins like these two. These are two fairly basic, laminate archtops that do what they are intended...sound great amplified with minimal frills. Perfect!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by uriah
    First lefty I've seen, had several 165s never even heard of a lefty. Cool.
    I've only come across three and the other two had black finishes. I bought my 165 from fine Swedish jazz guitarist, Gustav Lundgren just over ten years ago. I spotted it on his website and secretly hoped that one day he'd sell the instrument. Incredibly, a few weeks later it came up for sale on another forum and I jumped in immediately! Even in this roughly recorded and unrehearsed live clip with my trio and a friend sitting in on vocals, you can hear how nice the guitar sounds:

Last edited by PMB; 11-24-2020 at 04:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    I've only come across three and the other two had black finishes. I bought my 165 from fine Swedish jazz guitarist, Gustav Lundgren just over ten years ago. I spotted it on his website and secretly hoped that one day he'd sell the instrument. Incredibly, a few weeks later it come up for sale on another forum and jumped in immediately! Even in this roughly recorded and unrehearsed live clip with my trio and a friend sitting in on vocals, you can hear how nice the guitar sounds:

that was some fine playing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    that was some fine playing
    Thanks Holger, always dig your clips as well. I'm lucky to work with such great players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    What would be the difference between a 90s and one from let's say early 2000s (not the one with the floater). Did they change anything over the years? Maybe the neck profile?

TIA

DB
    Re ES165 necks: ive had two and played a few others, necks seem to vary a bit. I cant be totally accurate but can say my 1st 1991 was fatter chunkier but comfortable.

The 165 i have now is 2000 the neck is definitely thinner, not super thin but really comfortable................. it feels like it was made for me

Eg necks can be slimmer/ish but sometimes radius too flat or too round. Two Eastman AR371 i had were thinnish at nut and 12F area but slightly wider across say 57mm as oppessed to 53mm. I did not like them very much at all, yes initial appeal which did not last.

not just a case of thin or thick. these parameters all drop into place once you had/played a guitar for some time.

DB imo these can produce the "Thunk" which is not what some may think being merely dark/middy etc , a guitar can be dark or not bright but not have Thunk, i have heard ( not many) older players with 175 with a brighter tone and thunk, with older Gibsons and obviously older amps.

you know exactly what the THUNK is. i have you playing many times with it.

Bottom line you wont be disappointed with anES165 forget patterned headstock, an Uncluttered ES175 acoustically louder &one pup.

Even the thickest neck ES165 is not uncomfortable, i cant really put into words they just fit. I hope this helps,

User Info Menu

I sold my original ES-165 a few years back for something like $1400 or $1500, I think. I listed here for a while with no takers and then sold it on Reverb within a few days to a very satisfied buyer. I liked it but don’t really miss it and at the time I was exploring Hofners and other guitars, trying to figure out what I wanted. Yes, the HE was solid. I learned set-up with this guitar and it was definitely put together to last. I always thought it felt heavy and not responsive acoustically, which has largely put me off exploring the 175 style again. Seeing how prices are going, I might be fortunate to be one of the few not lusting for one, but then every guitar I actually want seems to be expensive too!

User Info Menu

My 1996 has the single humbucker in the top, and sounds great!
    I also have a vintage 1961 ES-175, and they play & sound very similar.
    The 165 is top quality in every regard, the neck is very straight, great nitro finish, gold appointments, etc.
    Ziggy tailpiece shows No instability.
    criticisms of the guitar seem like cynical malarkey IMHO.
    Cheers, JT
    Gibson ES-165 Herb Ellis question-img_6707-jpeg

User Info Menu

Here’s a video example on the 165, my rendition of Slow Boat.

cheers, JT

User Info Menu

FWIW I used to own a 92 ES-165 with the top mounted full sized humbucker and it featured a 50s Gibson profile neck.