The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 80

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Promise not to go away, Joe!
    Na.. I’m not going away. Not at all. I’ve tried that and it was impossible. I love this place.
    But I still long for the day my buddy Robster reconsiders and starts putting out more videos..
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe,
    You are so right. The GB pickups are winners.
    Great videos, Joe.
    GT, thank you brother.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Thanks for masterfully performing two of my favorite Benson instrumentals.
    GB pickups tend to be very hot at approximately 13k ohms. And since they're floaters, the sound is fat and clear to my ear. The deep bass, solid mids and clear highs may be attributed to these factors.
    Thank you Gittfiddler. I am glad you started this. My Gibson Solid Formed had a permanent spot in the lineup because of its clarity. The GB100 is just as clear so maybe, the SF can be sacrificed for that next really special guitar. I miss my Johnny...
    Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    +1. You, your guitar adventures, and your playing are part of the reason I find this forum enjoyable.
    4on6, aww.. thanks buddy. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I have more fun than you guys. And I do a rare thing that IF I didn’t have you guys, who else would even care?
    I appreciate all of you guys.
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe, Sounds great! The drop D bass is pretty tight considering the guitar's scale length. Great playing. One of my favorite GB pieces.

User Info Menu

Beautiful music again Joe. Excellent tone on the Ibanez--first time I ever carefully listened to one being played.

Happy Landings,

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Excellent playing as always, Joe. I barely play a simplified version of Tenderly. Your vids with your Wesmo were equally as good. Sorry I didn't comment on those as well. I just haven't actually signed in in quite some time. Listening to that GB makes me regret trading my GB10 back in February for something "more versatile." The GB's have an unmistakable woodiness to the tone.

Zig

User Info Menu

Great playing and absolutely luscious tone. Just sooo nice. Thanks, Joe!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Joe, Sounds great! The drop D bass is pretty tight considering the guitar's scale length. Great playing. One of my favorite GB pieces.
    Hi Rob,
    Thank You. At some point I will record Tenderly on my L5. I am all recorded out, if you know what I mean..
    I really like the GB100. I might get another bridge saddle made up. It seems like there is a awful lot of neck width that is being wasted. And the stock Bridge top is not following the radius of the neck. Or I might just leave it alone.. We will see.
    Thanks. JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Beautiful music again Joe. Excellent tone on the Ibanez--first time I ever carefully listened to one being played.
    Happy Landings,
    Tony D.
    TONY! How are you buddy? I hope you are doing well. Yeah you know, not a whole lot of folks demo'ing these guitars. Probably alot of great players own them, but they don't care enough to share..
    The 1st guitar I ever actually bought was an Ibanez fake Les Paul. I used it faithfully for years until it was stolen out of the hall we use to rehearse at down in South Paterson on 21st Ave.
    I love my GB100. I plan on taking good care of it. I just hope the gold parts don't start to pit.
    Great seeing you buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    Excellent playing as always, Joe. I barely play a simplified version of Tenderly. Your vids with your Wesmo were equally as good. Sorry I didn't comment on those as well. I just haven't actually signed in in quite some time. Listening to that GB makes me regret trading my GB10 back in February for something "more versatile." The GB's have an unmistakable woodiness to the tone.
    Zig
    Hi Zig, I appreciate you coming on and commenting. I am glad you got some enjoyment out of my videos. Its good to see you back.
    Yes you are right about the unmistakable sound. I think its the pickups. They are not really potted completely, just a little wax, or some kind of stuff that prevents the cover from vibrating too much against the top of the actual pickup. They are magically NOT too microphonic. I dont hear any of my picking taps on the gold covers. Although, I noticed I found a comfy spot to pick almost right in between the 2 pickups.
    You will always be able to find another GB10 Zig. But the 12's and the 100's are fewer are far between. Especially the 12's..
    Take Care, JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    C, I am glad you like it. I am very happy with all my stuff, finally. My recording/editing setup is locked down and very reliable. Except for the Corel Multicam Capture. In my opinion, Corel software sucks. VERY prone to crashing. They know it and they don't care. On the other hand, my DaVinci Resolve Editing software, NEVER crashes. It is professional level software. Corel stuff is a toy. Garbage.
    I checked my settings on my Boss GT-001.
    The only thing I did was add reverb and use the EQ level for a volume boost. Definitely NO amp simulation. All my settings except for my mid bass were at 12 o'clock, meaning to the left would cut that particular freq. and to the right would add. My mid Bass was +1. Minuscule amount of bump. I have to 2 presets that I use. One for my V-Moda Crossfade Wireless and the other for my Sennheiser HD700's. The VModa's tend to accent the Bass so I I back off one click on that preset and the Sennheisers I find are "slightly" Bass deficient so I bump that up one click to make up for it. This way, both sets of headphones sound the same, sort of like reference headphones should sound.. I used my HD700 preset for this and all other recordings. I dont EQ the sound when I edit. I just bump up the volume on the sliders if I my volume was too low when recording.
    Thanks Guys!

User Info Menu

MAX405 - Is the GB 100 a laminate maple top? Such beautiful tone and playing!

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Thank you C.
    I scooted the bridge over a hair so the strings sat more directly over the poles and I noticed the amp’d sound got even louder with more bite. I didn’t realize that such a small adjustment would a difference. Cool. I am learning the guitar.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    MAX405 - Is the GB 100 a laminate maple top? Such beautiful tone and playing!
    AKA
    Thank you AKA!
    I think it is a laminate top back and sides.

User Info Menu

I just realized something..
    The way the neck is laid out on this guitar makes it easier to play way up in the upper register. Like in Johnny Smith, “Moonlight in Vermont territory”!
    I couldn’t play this on any other guitar I tried it on. It just sounds right up there.. Now hopefully I can play the harmonics too!
    Cool.
    JD

User Info Menu

Great videos as usual, Max. Sorry to turn this into a gear thread for a moment.

I hate to bother you with this question, but if you have a moment, could you once again say what recording hardware you use? I have been recording on an old analog Boss MicroBR and Boss BR600.

I was wondering if you made the jump to something like Reaper, a guitar interface (such as focusrite products) and maybe your monitors? Whatever you are doing, you must have put in as much time and pain in learning to record as you have to your playing.

Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving.

User Info Menu

Joe you sound fantastic on everything you play that is a fact. This axe does sparkle though! Keep these coming, don't go away! Seriously, I said it before I'll say it again I can listen to you play all day brother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker
    Joe you sound fantastic on everything you play that is a fact. This axe does sparkle though! Keep these coming, don't go away! Seriously, I said it before I'll say it again I can listen to you play all day brother.
    My man, that means a lot coming from the best all around talent we got here.
    Dougie if you can try out one of these, you should. I think George had under 6 footers in mind when he designed this guitar. If you have to stand up and play Jazz there is no better guitar. Having one in your arsenal would be smart.
    Thank you Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Great videos as usual, Max. Sorry to turn this into a gear thread for a moment.
    I hate to bother you with this question, but if you have a moment, could you once again say what recording hardware you use? I have been recording on an old analog Boss MicroBR and Boss BR600.
    I was wondering if you made the jump to something like Reaper, a guitar interface (such as focusrite products) and maybe your monitors? Whatever you are doing, you must have put in as much time and pain in learning to record as you have to your playing.
    Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving.
    Thanks. And you are right, this is a gear forum. Sorry.
    I think my recording workflow is locked down and perfect. I’ve tried a lot of things. This is the best and most reliable workflow.
    I use a Boss GT-001 as digital interface. I go into a PC (a 7 year old hand me down Alienware M17x). The multi cam software I use is Corel Multicam capture. It captures up to 6 cameras at once. You can change the sound source on any and all cameras to the Boss if you have it connected. The editing software is DaVinci Resolve17. This software is the best video Editing software available. It’s sound editing capabilities (which I don’t use) is elite level. Frankly, any other software would be a step down.
    Yes, I do know this is a gear section of the forum but what better way is there to really learn about the gear than to see it and hear it being played. Every time I’ve posted a video here it has been to showcase the gear. To entertain people, yes - but mainly to showcase the guitar. I answer any and all questions. It takes a lot to make these videos. But I do it because I love it. I especially love how it makes my friends’ happy. Don’t be sorry to ask questions. I am happy to share anything I can.
    Thank you everyone.

User Info Menu

Very good point about the the GB100 being great for under 6 footers! I had a GB10, got rid of it quickly cause at 6’1” it was impossible for me to be comfy playing sitting. All my height is in my back so it seemed like the guitar was miles away)))

Jake Reichbart’s videos worth a look/listen as he plays a non GB model that has the same GB body size... maybe an AG series...humbucker body mounted.

User Info Menu

I am 5’9. For sitting I kinda prefer 17” guitars.
    The Tal and every 17” Heritage (3” depth) I’ve ever had are perfect couch guitars for me.
    But for standing up, the GB guitars are excellent. The clarity, crispness, sustain, playability and beauty of this guitar make it a guitar that has a permanent place in my life.
    Another great standing up playing guitar is PRS hollowbody. The are extremely lightweight.
    I love this guitar. It’s a sweetheart.
    JD

User Info Menu

That is indeed an inspirational guitar you have there! Isn’t it great to have one standout that you just love? Mine is my AF200. 16” and thin like yours... perfection to me). I usually do my finger and chord exercises on the TF then get serious on the AF. Somehow seems getting to it all warmed up just works for me.
    And good playing too)
    Maybe when my drug levels decrease and my fingers stop shaking I’ll be back to your recording advice.

User Info Menu

Jazzkritter,
    You have our sympathies with your condition and hope that you can soon fully recover
    and commence playing again. `i was diagnosed with an illness which left me unable
    to sleep, and inability to play guitar, with a prognosis of 3 years duration, after i year
    of trying to cope. resulting in the necessity to sell my L5CES, Wes L5, and others.
    very luckily I recovered , and could resume playing, I had "salted away "the funds
    from the sale for " a Rainy Day" ( Five guitars on consignment sale ), but i retrieved
    the TF and Byrdland, I was unable to find two L5's in pristine condition to replace
    the ones sold, . I eventually acquired a used L5CT ,and ordered a Deluxe
    Campellone. i was relieved to say. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Coincidentally I have an AF200 also good VFM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery
    Silverfoxx

i

User Info Menu

Thank you Silverfoxx, I appreciate the kindness. PM sent.
    Folks this getting older stuff takes guts.
    Back to the beautiful GB100

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing your great recording techniques. It was a bit of an eye-opener, and I learned a lot, especially about the ability to use different cameras and have the image captured. Wow.

Oh, and let me be clear, I am not "thread/forum Nazi," and I will never try and correct a person's choice of where they put their threads. Ha, ha, I never even know which forum I am in unless I am the OP. I just click Quick Links>New Posts and read all of the titles.

I actually thought we were in whichever sub-forum is for performance and did not want to detract, lest one of the forum police say I was derailing. So post those wonderful performances where ever you want.

Thanks for all that you give, M. I have some homework to do, now.
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 11-27-2020 at 01:00 AM.

User Info Menu

AlsoRan,
    If you get a chance, look up DaVinci Resolve. They have a free download. You can have a trimmed down version of the same software they use to edit blockbuster films. There are 100’s of how-to videos on YouTube. It is incredibly powerful software.
    Enjoy bud!
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Thanks for sharing your great recording techniques. It was a bit of an eye-opener, and I learned a lot, especially about the ability to use different cameras and have the image captured. Wow.

Oh, and let me be clear, I am not "thread/forum Nazi." I never even know which forum I am in unless I am the OP. I just click Quick Links>New Posts and read all of the titles.

I actually thought we were in whichever sub-forum is for performance and did not want to detract, lest one of the forum police say I was derailing.

Thanks for all that you give, M. I have some homework to do, now.

User Info Menu

Nice job one more time, Joe !
    You mentioned "Autumn in New York" can't wait to hear you rendition on the GB100!

User Info Menu

For many, solo chord-melody is the pinnacle of jazz guitar playing. For many, it's also the raison d'être of all-carved archtops with five-digit price tags. Listening to these exquisite clips, and thinking of Joe P., Wes, Tal and many other masters of yore, I'm all in for the electric sound, and fine laminate guitars are all you need. (Apart from rare talent, endless practice, impeccable taste and those proverbial fingertips, of course.)