The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone,
    As Promised, here is a Video.
    George Benson's "My One and Only Love". I added the Lee Ritenour middle and end - But I also threw in some of my own stuff too.
    If this guitar was the only Guitar I could own, I'd be very fortunate. It would suck to only have one guitar though..
    I hope you like..

Thanks,
    Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 11-21-2020 at 12:30 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice Joe D...some well executed double espresso speed runs in there!

cheers

User Info Menu

Well done!

User Info Menu

Sounds great, and nice playing (as usual) !

User Info Menu

We like!

User Info Menu

Master of chiming guitars!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice Joe D...some well executed double espresso speed runs in there!
    cheers
    N, hahaaa.. you know what’s funny, I had a cup of Arabian Mocha Sanani about a 1/2 hour before the recording!
    Believe it or not, when I drink coffee before I play, I end up playing like crap! My hands get very jittery..
    Thank you brother, JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    Well done!
    4, thanks man!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFranck
    Sounds great, and nice playing (as usual) !
    Thank you JFranck. I appreciate it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    We like!
    Thank you Robster!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Master of chiming guitars!
    Freddy my man, thank you buddy!
    JD

User Info Menu

Whats not to like? Great playing, great arrangement, great guitar (love those inlays!) and great video production.

User Info Menu

Joe- nice playing with a lot of complex movement, and you kept it together nicely. The guitar is beautiful and I actually liked not hearing the airiness of a larger / deeper body guitar.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 11-21-2020 at 12:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Agree with everyone above !

User Info Menu

Tasty playing!
    Tasty guitar!
    Thanks... Had to put my .02US$ in

User Info Menu

Wow what a powerful performance of that tune! Honestly, I never saw the "draw" of the Benson models of guitar, but you've really demonstrated how beautiful it looks and sounds. I thought I had all the guitars I wanted (well except for an ES350 and a Tal Farlow) but now I have to add another to the list!

User Info Menu

That Ibanez deserves your touch, Max405. I was hoping you'd play My One and Only Love...and you did. Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane, brother.

User Info Menu

Joe,

I have always been surprised by the quality and tremendous sound of the GB models. You show the 100 off to great advantage. I have listened to several of the GB100 videos that you have posted. Tremendous, man.

User Info Menu

Joe D~ What a beautiful rendition of "My One and Only Love"!!

And how appropriate that you performed it on your newest love. You make that GB100 absolutely sing with its intended gorgeous voice. Any concerns about these downsized archtop models sounding thin or lacking in any way are totally dispelled. Wonderfully thick jazz tones and your phrasing and arpeggios just jump off the keyboard. I thoroughly enjoyed every sweet note.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Whats not to like? Great playing, great arrangement, great guitar (love those inlays!) and great video production.
    Thank you SS. Even though this is was the flagship Ibanez, it is still a bit of an under dog in the world of upscale Jazz Guitars. Not to me! I love this guitar. Thank you SS. I am killing the video editing. DaVinci Resolve is the best I will ever use. It is so powerful and reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Joe- nice playing with a lot of complex movement, and you kept it together nicely. The guitar is beautiful and I actually liked not hearing the airiness of a larger / deeper body guitar.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you Stevie. Yeah that was a tough one. There is a lot there. Not too much that I’m not gonna remember it, like a Joe Pass song. This one is just right.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Agree with everyone above !
    Thanks Vin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Tasty playing!
    Tasty guitar!
    Thanks... Had to put my .02US$ in
    And I am glad you did! Thank you. I hope you are enjoying the Tal.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Wow what a powerful performance of that tune! Honestly, I never saw the "draw" of the Benson models of guitar, but you've really demonstrated how beautiful it looks and sounds. I thought I had all the guitars I wanted (well except for an ES350 and a Tal Farlow) but now I have to add another to the list!
    Lawson, thanks buddy. I always thought the world of the GB guitars. Except I always thought the necks were to shallow for my hands. I’ve adapted and I am glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    That Ibanez deserves your touch, Max405. I was hoping you'd play My One and Only Love...and you did. Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane, brother.
    Hey Bro,
    The Hartman Coltrane version is my favorite.
    Ibanez made some ultra exclusive guitars. The craftsmanship is staggering. The guitar is 22 years old a still looks like a baby. And my tech, Brian Kirkner leveled off the neck and basically made it play itself.
    I am very lucky to have this guitar. Thanks Jabbs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe,
    I have always been surprised by the quality and tremendous sound of the GB models. You show the 100 off to great advantage. I have listened to several of the GB100 videos that you have posted. Tremendous, man.
    Thank you GT. Yes, I posted 2 additional videos on YouTube. My favorite of the 3 has to be Ode To A Kudu.
    Thank you so much for the nice things you say buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Joe D~ What a beautiful rendition of "My One and Only Love"!!
    And how appropriate that you performed it on your newest love. You make that GB100 absolutely sing with its intended gorgeous voice. Any concerns about these downsized archtop models sounding thin or lacking in any way are totally dispelled. Wonderfully thick jazz tones and your phrasing and arpeggios just jump off the keyboard. I thoroughly enjoyed every sweet note.
    Thank you Gitfiddler. These guitars are extremely capable high end Jazz guitars. No mistake about it. They are capable of way more than I can ever bring. And when I am not playing it, I am looking at it. I am glad you posted the pictures that started the ball rolling 5 years ago. I love my GB100

User Info Menu

Max405
    Thanks.... i AM enjoying the Tal! It has a sound all it’s own and it’s a great one. Even had wife support on the purchase lol.

But my favorite go to remains my Ibanez AF200...
    No no no where’s near as pretty as your GB100 though. Really a plain Jane.
    These smaller body Ibanez jazz guitars are just so comfy to play.

Maybe it’s time for an Ibanez Appreciation thread!

User Info Menu

Joe,

After watching "My One and Only Love," which is one of my favorite charts of all time, I tried to play some of your lines. Well, to make a long story short, I couldn't. (I could figure out the notes, of course, but I couldn't finger the runs fluidly like you play them.)

Back to the 'shed.

Thanks for the inspiration, Joe.

User Info Menu

Went outside to the lanai to hear this video. Once play began noticed the palm trees started to rustle their leaves.. Then the Papaya trees started dropping their fruits.... Stopped the video there

Sound too loud I guess....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Max405
    Thanks.... i AM enjoying the Tal! It has a sound all it’s own and it’s a great one. Even had wife support on the purchase lol.
    But my favorite go to remains my Ibanez AF200...
    No no no where’s near as pretty as your GB100 though. Really a plain Jane.
    These smaller body Ibanez jazz guitars are just so comfy to play.
    Maybe it’s time for an Ibanez Appreciation thread!
    It’s always best to have the support from our wives on guitar purchases. That Tal was on my radar big time but I had already bought this guitar. You got a really nice one and I am assuming at a terrific price.
    Enjoy that beautiful guitar. JD

User Info Menu

I was surprised when Ibanez ceased production of their GB100, it would sell well
    today I suspect. My first two ibanez were a JP20, and a GB10 almost 40years
    ago. and then a GB100, later, I still have a GB10 and an AF200, all of their models
    have outstandingly good QC, consistently,, I'm afraid to say that not all of the many
    Gibsons I have had met the same standard But when they get it right they are
    keepers , and I have four prime examples, three of which are Crimson Custom shop
    manufactured. As our friend Max405 has ably demonstrated the GB100 is an
    excellent guitar, very comfortable to play and with a superb neck. ( The GB10 has a
    1/2" shallower body depth and is less ornate, but still an excellent model to own )

Nice Video Joe !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe,
    After watching "My One and Only Love," which is one of my favorite charts of all time, I tried to play some of your lines. Well, to make a long story short, I couldn't. (I could figure out the notes, of course, but I couldn't finger the runs fluidly like you play them.)
    Back to the 'shed.
    Thanks for the inspiration, Joe.
    You got it GT. That number took a lot to get right it right. I’m glad I stayed on it.
    Now I have to go a week straight just playing my Johnny Stuff, so I don’t forget any of it.
    But you got it bro. In a couple of days you will have it down.
    Thank you for always being there. And always saying nice, encouraging things. Thanks buddy.
    JD